Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the NON-XL New 3DS supports a top IPS display? Because people only seem to give a crap about the XL models, I can't find any info on the regular model. Sadly, mine came with dual TN.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the NON-XL New 3DS supports a top IPS display? Because people only seem to give a crap about the XL models, I can't find any info on the regular model. Sadly, mine came with dual TN.
Help me cope with having a TN display

The n3DS did come with IPS panels for certain special editions [post #37].

Replacement n3DS top IPS LCD was once sold on eBay [post #33].
Unfortunately, they're no longer available as far eBay and aliexpress searches goes these days.

Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help me cope with having a TN display

The n3DS did come with IPS panels for certain special editions [post #37].

Replacement n3DS top IPS LCD was once sold on eBay [post #33].
Unfortunately, they're no longer available as far eBay and aliexpress searches goes these days.
Motherfu-- *Sigh*. I guess I'll just have to keep a really sharp eye out for an upgrade. Thanks!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

phzwzrd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just put another top screen in, and it is an IPS LCD panel However:
  • It is considerably dimmer than the bottom screen, which is also IPS. Unless 3D is turned on, then they are the same brightness
  • But the 3D doesn't work, at all - I've tried calibrating, it's like the left and right image won't interlace together. In software that uses 3D I can benefit from the increased brightness while the images being outputted are non-3D (e.g. PkMn XY/ORAS out of battle). But I cannot get that increased brightness on games that don't use 3D at all. Is this normal for IPS panels (I've never had a new3DS with one before).
  • it flickers noticeably for a few secs after powering on, then flickers faster and faster till I can no longer notice it with my naked eye (I'm sure a slow-mo cam would be revealing). But it's still not a very pleasant screen to look at, better than a TN but not by much.
Asking someone with a better understanding of a n3DSxl's hardware: Is this just a bad screen? Or could it possibly be to do with the way I installed it? Or is this normal for aftermarket screens? Does anyone know of any reputable current sellers?

Last edited by phzwzrd,

survivorevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just put another top screen in, and it is an IPS LCD panel However:
  • It is considerably dimmer than the bottom screen, which is also IPS. Unless 3D is turned on, then they are the same brightness
  • But the 3D doesn't work, at all - I've tried calibrating, it's like the left and right image won't interlace together. In software that uses 3D I can benefit from the increased brightness while the images being outputted are non-3D (e.g. PkMn XY/ORAS out of battle). But I cannot get that increased brightness on games that don't use 3D at all. Is this normal for IPS panels (I've never had a new3DS with one before).
  • it flickers noticeably for a few secs after powering on, then flickers faster and faster till I can no longer notice it with my naked eye (I'm sure a slow-mo cam would be revealing). But it's still not a very pleasant screen to look at, better than a TN but not by much.
Asking someone with a better understanding of a n3DSxl's hardware: Is this just a bad screen? Or could it possibly be to do with the way I installed it? Or is this normal for aftermarket screens? Does anyone know of any reputable current sellers?

you possibly damaged the ribbon cable or it isnt fully plugged in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yeah, you have to pry it out from the bottom and then slide it up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later