Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything I can do about the white border or should I just deal with it? I just don't know if it's worth the time, money and effort to hunt down a dual ips Japanese 3ds just so I can have the correct color border.

I'd keep it, you got a dual IPS after all, white border looks kinda cool imo. How hard was this process btw?

Reactions: SonyNintendoGamer1

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd keep it, you got a dual IPS after all, white border looks kinda cool imo. How hard was this process btw?
I bought another 3DS that had dual IPS and because the donor system was white the borders are white too. Yeah I should be grateful for having dual IPS but the white border can be distracting and if theres any way to get rid of it I'd like to know.

That other user @GenLyfe did the same procedure as I did and because they did it on a black system using the Pokemon 20th anniversary 3DS (which is white) I can only assume they got a white border like I do. I'd PM that user for pics but they haven't been active since September.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought all the FE 3DS XLs had IPS tops and TN bottoms? That's certainly how mine is. Curious. Maybe it's a regional difference.
Nope. I've got two FE n3dsxl's. One is dual ips, and the other is top tn and bottom ips.

TN really sucks for SNES games. The ghosting is super noticeable.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have the idea to exchange the Bottom Screen on my new 3ds xl special edition.

But i can't find a replacement part that is 100% guaranteed that its an ips, the all write only lcd.

So where did you all got your screens from?
Because if i get a bottom IPS Screen i have Dual IPS :)

KM-3

Trophies
XP
Country
View attachment 40135 This is the back of I think an IPS screen.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
They do also have white 3ds screw covers in eBay.

Before i slept you're here, i woke up and you're still here!haha
Anyway here's mine, I changed the top screen to an IPS screen, bottom screen is IPS already.
:)

I finally did it, I swapped the panels. Holy Crap is it night and day! It took me all day, but it was well worth it.
I was able to make the 4 hidden screws flush as well, although still a little noticeable. at least its flush.

Hey guys, I wonder if you can help me out a bit. After reading your posts, I want to change my New N3DS XL screen to IPS too. I've been doing some research and found one seller from eBay who sells screens that looks like the same as Copyiipc posted earlier. Did you guys bought the IPS replacement screen from this vendor? I'll be most grateful if you can help me out :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291900678235?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

j3yps

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I wonder if you can help me out a bit. After reading your posts, I want to change my New N3DS XL screen to IPS too. I've been doing some research and found one seller from eBay who sells screens that looks like the same as Copyiipc posted earlier. Did you guys bought the IPS replacement screen from this vendor? I'll be most grateful if you can help me out :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291900678235?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
AFAIK you could only get IPS screens from certain units but i haven't seen any vendor who sells replacement IPS screens yet.

KM-3

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK you could only get IPS screens from certain units but i haven't seen any vendor who sells replacement IPS screens yet.
Aw, that's too bad. I guess I have to find another 3DS with IPS screen then. But thanks for the fast replying.

My current screen do look OK, it's super sharp, no bleeding and some colors doesn't change at all and the black level is good. But just to know there's better out there bugs me :P
My top screen extreme angles:
Hr5je3R.jpg

oBGFnBz.jpg

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also Searched for a while now but saidly i couldn't find any offer for a IPS Bottom screen for my new 3DS XL :(
The only screens you find are labled LCD Screens but nothing about if it's an ips or pn pannel.
Think the only chance is a broken console with an bottom ips screen but the are even hard to find because the broken one mostly selled by privat persons and they don't include such infos in the offer so you have to ask everyone and that's annoying because 90% of them doesn't know whick display the have :(

So if anyone find a seller or a shop who offers a defective unit with bottom ips screen, please let me know because it's worth the money for me because i don't think to find one on a price lower than 100$.

Hoshizora1510

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone hit me up with a PM on this?
Pref someone who already did it and can explain step to step for replacing a screen without ripping the ribbon cables and anything that could go wrong.

noX1609

B9S freak ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone hit me up with a PM on this?
Pref someone who already did it and can explain step to step for replacing a screen without ripping the ribbon cables and anything that could go wrong.
Which 3DS do you have? I mean 3DS, 3DS XL, new 3DS or new 3DS XL? Because is different on every model.

But if you are looking for tutorials how to disassemble or repair a device look here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_Handheld_Console

Its an overview so just select your model. If your desired guide is not in the list of repairs (after clicking on a device in the list) use the Teardown Tutorial and stop at that point when the screen is out. Then use it in reverse order.

Just a little tip from me: Use boxes to sort the screws (1 box for every step would be perfekt and arrage them (i put them one on another) that makes it A LOT MORE comfortable when you reasamble the device.

If you get stock at any point you can write me a message here in the board or in this Thread.

Johnnykillertech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Fire emblem N3DS XL, in mint like new condition. Was sad when i received it and found out i had top Tn and Bottom IPS. I already know about this whole ordeal, i wanted to vent and came accross this thread. Then I saw someone who change theird top LCD to IPS. Ive replaced 3ds xl LCD's twice for broken XL, but its a pain in the butt. I was about to buy an IPS LCD, when it hit me " CAll nintendo and check on warranty. and yes it had warranty for 3 more weeks. I explained to them the situation and ask if i could get my top screen swap for an IPS LCD. Shipped it in, it arrived today: with a top IPS LCD. Im never getting rid of it. Thank you nintendo <3

ips 3dsident.jpg
ips lcd mine.jpg

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Fire emblem N3DS XL, in mint like new condition. Was sad when i received it and found out i had top Tn and Bottom IPS. I already know about this whole ordeal, i wanted to vent and came accross this thread. Then I saw someone who change theird top LCD to IPS. Ive replaced 3ds xl LCD's twice for broken XL, but its a pain in the butt. I was about to buy an IPS LCD, when it hit me " CAll nintendo and check on warranty. and yes it had warranty for 3 more weeks. I explained to them the situation and ask if i could get my top screen swap for an IPS LCD. Shipped it in, it arrived today: with a top IPS LCD. Im never getting rid of it. Thank you nintendo <3

View attachment 77080 View attachment 77079

You had bought a warranty separately or do 3ds's come with a warranty?

Also, what did you tell them?

Edit: Nevermind, mine's hardmodded. There's no way they'll replace it either way.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

anonynom

Punchyleaf
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 77080 View attachment 77079
What in the world did you tell them to get to agree?? Lol

Johnnykillertech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bobrocks95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I told the nintendo Rep, "Sir i will suck your ...." lol Jk

on side note. Guys, this ebay seller sells IPS lcds confirmed, showed him how to tell ips from tn lcds and he has now made seperate listing for same price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...127889?hash=item3ad73bdd51:g:0SwAAOSwYmZXEVQS

Enjoy :yay3ds:

Yeah but seriously, what did you tell them?

And general question for people here- when you do a top screen swap, is the plastic "bezel" portion removable? You have RemixDeluxe talking about how annoying his white bezel is, but that separate screen for sale definitely doesn't look like it has a bezel attached.

Johnnykillertech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:
Alot of people still dont know how to tell TN from IPS LCDS when buying them online. (im not talking about when they are one, but when they turn on and being sold one ebay, etc...)
I literally took both my 3ds XL's apart and this is what I have identify to be on the back panel of both the top and the bottom IPS Screen for the NEW 3ds XL 2015. attached are the pics. The first 2 pics are for the top (i did not take these pics) , the last 2 are for the bottom (i did they these pics lol)
(Note that both TN lcds have the serial/model writen on metal bezel where as IPS lcds have the serial/model written on white label sticker)
I as i posted before, the top IPS LCD can be bought from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...127889?hash=item3ad73bdd51:g:0SwAAOSwYmZXEVQS
Unfortunately, i have yet to find a single IPS bottom LCD for sale anywhere.

Attachments

• TN LCD_Ink_LI.jpg
    TN LCD_Ink_LI.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IPS LCD_Ink_LI.jpg
    IPS LCD_Ink_LI.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 398
  • 20170217_153013_LI.jpg
    20170217_153013_LI.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 20170217_155451_LI.jpg
    20170217_155451_LI.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 402
Last edited by Johnnykillertech,

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE:
Alot of people still dont know how to tell TN from IPS LCDS when buying them online. (im not talking about when they are one, but when they turn on and being sold one ebay, etc...)
I literally took both my 3ds XL's apart and this is what I have identify to be on the back panel of both the top and the bottom IPS Screen for the NEW 3ds XL 2015. attached are the pics. The first 2 pics are for the top (i did not take these pics) , the last 2 are for the bottom (i did they these pics lol)
(Note that both TN lcds have the serial/model writen on metal bezel where as IPS lcds have the serial/model written on white label sticker)
I as i posted before, the top IPS LCD can be bought from this seller:
Unfortunately, i have yet to find a single IPS bottom LCD for sale anywhere.

The LCD's for sale online don't have those back details.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone who wants to swap LCD panels, I recommend writing down the original LCD voltage offset (can be seen in the config dev app) just in case it does not look correct on the screen swapped console.

Last edited by driverdis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)