Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah it looks garbage, for the people who say they cant tell the different, they are saying that to make themselves feel better. I can certainly tell the colors are completely washed out.
I also noticed the overall build quality (mainly the cutouts and such) are much less polished (than my MM3D one). They're pretty rough in some spots. But that might just be mine.

the3dsguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I finally did it, I swapped the panels. Holy Crap is it night and day! It took me all day, but it was well worth it.

jr2wkp.jpg

29liixy.jpg

35by3vb.jpg

20f3myu.jpg

27yn474.jpg

dwf148.jpg

Last edited by the3dsguy,

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a monster hunter 4u n3ds. Top screen is ips whereas bottom is TN. I am surprised ips bottom screens even exists. So where can I get a ips bottom screen to swap? Or is it exclusive only to FE 3ds?

Last edited by cooroxd,

copyiipc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally did it, I swapped the panels. Holy Crap is it night and day! It took me all day, but it was well worth it.

jr2wkp.jpg

29liixy.jpg

35by3vb.jpg

20f3myu.jpg

27yn474.jpg

dwf148.jpg
Nice job looks good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a monster hunter 4u n3ds. Top screen is ips whereas bottom is TN. I am surprised ips bottom screens even exists. So where can I get a ips bottom screen to swap? Or is it exclusive only to FE 3ds?
As far as I know only with the FE 3ds.

Did you get pictures of the back of the lcd screens?

Devastus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an untrained eye for this sort of thing, can anyone tell me if this is tn or ips?
OUhIfMh.jpg

HQlIa0w.jpg

NQFe7i0.jpg

I can upload more photo's if necessary.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Does the newly installed IPS screen still have 3D functionality? Also, where do you purchase IPS screens for a 3DS? I'm thinking of picking up a New 3DS XL sometime this year, and I doubt I'll be able to find a 3DS with an IPS top screen, much less an IPS bottom screen as well. I've done things like mod game controllers, PCs, laptops, etc., but I've never tried a hand at a 3DS. I'm thinking I could do it if I had all the right materials and knowledge.

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend,

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Wait, did you install new ups screen you bought or just swapped the lower screen with the upper one?

Is there a 3rd party screen company?
I am thinking about OLED screen for 3DS.

the3dsguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it to hard to tell for the top screen with the photo's I chose?

Yeah a little, is your N3DS XL or Regular? BEcause all regular n3ds comes with tn screens no ips at all. You need to take the picture at more of an angle. but your top screen looks ips.

Does the newly installed IPS screen still have 3D functionality? Also, where do you purchase IPS screens for a 3DS? I'm thinking of picking up a New 3DS XL sometime this year, and I doubt I'll be able to find a 3DS with an IPS top screen, much less an IPS bottom screen as well. I've done things like mod game controllers, PCs, laptops, etc., but I've never tried a hand at a 3DS. I'm thinking I could do it if I had all the right materials and knowledge.

Yes everything works as normal. I bought another n3ds at walmart 2 days ago that came with firmware 9.9.0 and it had an IPS screen.

Wait, did you install new ups screen you bought or just swapped the lower screen with the upper one?

Is there a 3rd party screen company?
I am thinking about OLED screen for 3DS.

Unforunately no, even first party screens arent sold. they only way to get it is if you have an extra n3ds laying around with an IPS screen and swap them. I had one because I bought the fates edition 3ds.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mind me asking how you lifted up those zif connectors? I remember when I took apart my first New 3DS, the home button and mic were fried after reassembling. Tools and tips would be nice, I pretty much have a workshop in my room.

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I watched this video to see how he handled removing the ribbon cables. Its in german and for a new 3ds.

So you didn't actually have to lift those up? It was my first time ever seeing those and I totally lifted them up from the bottom...

Was it easy slotting them back in?

*I mean, lifted them all the way up. They wouldn't click together tight enough to pick up the signals after reassembly.

Last edited by GenLyfe,

GenLyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah a little, is your N3DS XL or Regular? BEcause all regular n3ds comes with tn screens no ips at all. You need to take the picture at more of an angle. but your top screen looks ips.

Yes everything works as normal. I bought another n3ds at walmart 2 days ago that came with firmware 9.9.0 and it had an IPS screen.

Unforunately no, even first party screens arent sold. they only way to get it is if you have an extra n3ds laying around with an IPS screen and swap them. I had one because I bought the fates edition 3ds.

Actually, the 20th anniversary Pokemon edition of the small N3DS is dual IPS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \ as soon as the hack was announced