Hardware IPS top screen panel swap possible? Fire Emblem Fates 3DS XL

the3dsguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
looks like everything is plugged in tight

Is your 3ds turning on for 1 second and the pop it goes off again? Mistake people make is while removing the ribbon cables on the motherboard, the very tiny ribbon cables you "YOU DO NOT POP OPEN" you will break it that way.

you're suppose to just slide it out.

copyiipc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had that happen when I put the one under the mother board on wrong. It's the one on the left when the motherboard is flipped up. It has a cut out on it that should follow the curve of the motherboard and have a dark side of the ribbon cable facing out.

copyiipc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Got three dual ips screen 3ds's done.
2 fire emblem, and 1 monster hunter 4.

Last edited by copyiipc,
Reactions: elBenyo and Azel

copyiipc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the ones I bought had at least one ips screen. I replaced the TN ones from others I had bought at Walmart and Amazon.

snakes13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is your 3ds turning on for 1 second and the pop it goes off again? Mistake people make is while removing the ribbon cables on the motherboard, the very tiny ribbon cables you "YOU DO NOT POP OPEN" you will break it that way.

you're suppose to just slide it out.

duck! I just followed the video on youtube where he was popping it up.. damn it!

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
How are you guys sliding the ribbon cables back through the hinge? Another member is having difficulty trying to get this ribbons back through the hinge.

kfgtboy808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a few 3DS, some of which have a IPS Top, I noticed the FE 3DS XL has an IPS bottom and TN Top.

Would a swap be possible, there isnt anything coded in the motherboard to recognize the TN / IPS display is there?

How difficult would a DIY be?

UPDATE:

I finally did it, I swapped the panels. Holy Crap is it night and day! It took me all day, but it was well worth it.

I was able to make the 4 hidden screws flush as well, although still a little noticeable. at least its flush.

Hey man how do you pop top part off? iFixit guide doesn't show how.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
dude your n3ds is so sexy , lick it.

edit: why would you risk wrecking your console for this though?
does that ips screen look any better brighter cleaner than the normal ones?

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't even know bottom IPS display was possible. Where can I get top and bottom IPS display for my n3DS XL? I really hate the gawd awful TN display, everytime I see an IPS one it feels like night and day with quality.

sakor1

Trophies
XP
Country
Where are you guys buying your IPS screens to do the replacement?
I have tried and returned a bunch of Hyrule edition new 3DS XL here in Australia, about 20 all up, every single one was TN screens. I'm sick of playing the lottery (seem doomed to lose on this one), so considering purchasing them and replacing myself but the screens I can find on ebay don't state whether IPS or TN... any help?

PoLoMoTo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know bottom IPS display was possible. Where can I get top and bottom IPS display for my n3DS XL? I really hate the gawd awful TN display, everytime I see an IPS one it feels like night and day with quality.

Where are you guys buying your IPS screens to do the replacement?
I have tried and returned a bunch of Hyrule edition new 3DS XL here in Australia, about 20 all up, every single one was TN screens. I'm sick of playing the lottery (seem doomed to lose on this one), so considering purchasing them and replacing myself but the screens I can find on ebay don't state whether IPS or TN... any help?

I don't think you can find them on ebay, at least no one that replaced them in this thread has, they all bought 3DS's with the screens and swapped them. None of the listings on ebay for them say what type they are, I suppose you could ask the seller, although idk if they would know what you're talking about.

kfgtboy808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, I just swapped my FE 3DS XL top panel with an IPS. I have a dual IPS now. Everything works fine but my back top cover doesn't fit properly now. The alignment is a little off. Just wondering if anyone had this problem.
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you didn't actually have to lift those up? It was my first time ever seeing those and I totally lifted them up from the bottom...

Was it easy slotting them back in?

*I mean, lifted them all the way up. They wouldn't click together tight enough to pick up the signals after reassembly.
Just jam a very small piece of paper in between the cable and the connector. Even if the latch is busted the paper will push the cable against the contacts. I know that it worked for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?