Tutorial Installing rxTools 9.2.0-20 w/ Unlinking - Updating - Online Access

We're you Successful?

• Total voters

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very well done tutorial. Does formatting the SD card make cia installation/general usability faster in emuNAND? I followed another tutorial that didn't include formatting through Windows. Cia installation of a ~1.5gb game takes about 20 minutes.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you should add clearly somewhere at the very beginning that this is an o3ds tutorial. It has many steps that only work for o3ds but won't on n3ds (slider hax, fbi injection with rxtools, updating emunand)

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very well done tutorial. Does formatting the SD card make cia installation/general usability faster in emuNAND? I followed another tutorial that didn't include formatting through Windows. Cia installation of a ~1.5gb game takes about 20 minutes.
That is about normal, I'd say it's about the same on my SanDisk Ultra microsd

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to use online safely? don't we have to use tubehax DNS? will that work for playing online and not getting update nags?
i never use online on my N3ds cause of emunand only going to 95.5 so is it safe to set up online , how?

ekiMheT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't follow preparing CFW, I've downloaded the version you used but there isn't an rxTools folder there? and when I run "cdn_firm.py" file it doesn't make a "firm" it just makes a "firmware.bin". I have no idea what to do.

EDIT: I got it all working, but I can't boot rxtools without using rxmode, is it meant to be like this?

Last edited by ekiMheT,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is there a way to use online safely? don't we have to use tubehax DNS? will that work for playing online and not getting update nags?
i never use online on my N3ds cause of emunand only going to 95.5 so is it safe to set up online , how?
Tubehax dns only blocks updates (and eshop probably). online play is no problem you just need to find a way to update your games.

dekudude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't follow preparing CFW, I've downloaded the version you used but there isn't an rxTools folder there? and when I run "cdn_firm.py" file it doesn't make a "firm" it just makes a "firmware.bin". I have no idea what to do.

EDIT: I got it all working, but I can't boot rxtools without using rxmode, is it meant to be like this?

How did you manage that?
the message I keep getting is:
ERROR:File/rxTools/syscode.bin not found
press start to reboot.

ekiMheT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How did you manage that?
press start to reboot.

I used this rxtools

Any clarification on which release of rxTools we should be downloading? You're referencing files and folders that don't exist in the latest version.
I was using the Latest .ZIP but I think I got it from a different link ill update the post soon

The updated link to the RxTools version you used still doesn't appear to be the correct one. It doesn't contain a folder called "rxTools" in the release folder, nor in the ninjhax folder. I did some searching for different versions, and it looks the RxTools version that follows the structure in this guide is:
https://mega.nz/#!cFNUWRxS!__q0-sJAvhA1uQjVmMHk6KeoY9wY1QdtPKFj3bSSouc
Which I got from another guide by samiam144: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
It might not be the exact version you used, but it follows the same file structure as you describe in this guide.

Reactions: dekudude

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In chapter 5 when I try to open the RXTools, it just takes me back to HBL. Can someone help me?

Thanks.
If you're in rx mode and you try to open rxTools again, it'll take you back to the HBL. Try to reboot your device. You only need to enter rx mode once.

By default, opening rxTools boots into rx mode. You can access the menu by holding L while it's booting. Once there, scroll to the settings to make it so it doesn't autoboot(If you so desire).

VenomSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm still having the same issue after rebooting. I'm not able to open the advanced settings by launching it while holding L either.

Thanks.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
when i installed savedatafiler.cia everything went fine but when i tried installing a game i get this

Install failed!
Could not install app.
Raw Error: 0xc86044d2
Module: FS (0x11)
Level: Status (0x19)
Summary: Out of resource (0x3)
Description: Unkown descrption (0xd2)

"Out of resource (0x3)" I believe thats caused by not enough space. Install BigBlueMenu/DevMenu and try install it with that as its more stable for installing Game .cia's

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, Especially if you set the Allocation unit to the Highest possible.

Your on n3DS and updating the emuNAND only supports 9.5 so I really dont know but get off of Tubehax, Tubehax died like so long ago.

Okay im so dumb yet again I had the wrong rxTools download links. Please redownload the rxTools zip again and that should be the right one and then try follow the Tutorial with it.

How did you manage that?
press start to reboot.
Redownload the rxTools zip from the Download Center I have updated the links to the proper ones that are meant to be used for this tutorial.

In chapter 5 when I try to open the RXTools, it just takes me back to HBL. Can someone help me?

Thanks.
If you used the download link for rxTools that I had before I replied to your post then try redownload the rxTools zip and do the Setting Up CFW chapter again. If you still get it try have a look at the Troubleshooter spoiler.

Reactions: ZoneBlaze

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Out of resource (0x3)" I believe thats caused by not enough space. Install BigBlueMenu/DevMenu and try install it with that as its more stable for installing Game .cia's

Yes, Especially if you set the Allocation unit to the Highest possible.

Your on n3DS and updating the emuNAND only supports 9.5 so I really dont know but get off of Tubehax, Tubehax died like so long ago.

Okay im so dumb yet again I had the wrong rxTools download links. Please redownload the rxTools zip again and that should be the right one and then try follow the Tutorial with it.

Redownload the rxTools zip from the Download Center I have updated the links to the proper ones that are meant to be used for this tutorial.

If you used the download link for rxTools that I had before I replied to your post then try redownload the rxTools zip and do the Setting Up CFW chapter again. If you still get it try have a look at the Troubleshooter spoiler.
i dont use it , i know it dies as far as an entrypoint but it is used to blocks updates on the wii u so can't it block update nags on the N3ds?
it blocks nintendo update servers and eshop and youtube
i just got a new card and set up a new emunand ,i had caught an update nag on my other cards emunand
i would like a DNS that allows youtube though and just blocks N update servers

how are people using their N3ds online without catching update nags then?

ekiMheT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got basically everything working but the bootup, I think menuhax is broken and I have no idea how to fix it when I try to install it again before I even get the options for menuhax I get an error something along the lines of "Failed to open theme extdata with extdataID=(numbers that I can't remember)"

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, so I finally managed to open the rxTools menu in Chapter V, but now I'm a bit lost. There are no "Advanced Settings". There are "Advanced Options" and "Settings", but there is no "Check TMD Only" in either of them. The closest I can get is the "Install FBI" in the Advanced Settings; but it just says to select NAND, and I really don't wanna screw up.

EDIT Welp. I found it, but it doesn't show me a four-digit number, just the region...And am I supposed to inject FBI to sysNAND or emuNAND?

I got basically everything working but the bootup, I think menuhax is broken and I have no idea how to fix it when I try to install it again before I even get the options for menuhax I get an error something along the lines of "Failed to open theme extdata with extdataID=(numbers that I can't remember)"
I think you didn't entered the Themes menu in the Home menu before doing this process. Try going in there, and if it says something about creating theme-management data, that's probably your problem.

Last edited by TamDanny,

ekiMheT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so I finally managed to open the rxTools menu in Chapter V, but now I'm a bit lost. There are no "Advanced Settings". There are "Advanced Options" and "Settings", but there is no "Check TMD Only" in either of them. The closest I can get is the "Install FBI" in the Advanced Settings; but it just says to select NAND, and I really don't wanna screw up.

I think you didn't entered the Themes menu in the Home menu before doing this process. Try going in there, and if it says something about creating theme-management data, that's probably your problem.
I'll give it a go.

EDIT: That fixed it, thanks.

Last edited by ekiMheT,

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
i dont use it , i know it dies as far as an entrypoint but it is used to blocks updates on the wii u so can't it block update nags on the N3ds?
it blocks nintendo update servers and eshop and youtube
i just got a new card and set up a new emunand ,i had caught an update nag on my other cards emunand
i would like a DNS that allows youtube though and just blocks N update servers

how are people using their N3ds online without catching update nags then?
No need to block them at all. If you have unlinked your nands you can update your EmuNAND no problems will occur. Thats why people use EmuNAND as rxTools patches it to still allow .cia's you just need to Install FBI.cia before you Update. Just never update SysNAND and your set.

Does it boot loop/boot into HBL instead? If so open HBL and Hold L while you click rxTools it will boot you into a Menu, Go into rxMode and press X WHILE HOLDING R to Boot into EmuNAND. Make sure you HOLD R while you boot into emuNand from the rxMode menu. Then you will get into it fine. Go into Theme Options and change the theme to anything that should Uninstall Menuhax from EmuNAND which was causing the bootlap.

EDIT Welp. I found it, but it doesn't show me a four-digit number, just the region...And am I supposed to inject FBI to sysNAND or emuNAND?

Yes sorry Advanced Options > Install FBI > Choose EmuNAND > Check TMD Only > Then continue with the tutorial :P

Inject it to EmuNAND. It should say your Version if you select the EmuNAND then check TMD only. If it doesnt just use '3077' as your TMD and follow the Tutorial.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

VenomSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Still no luck. After the initial RXTools setup, it doesn't take me to the home menu. I get a red box flashing in the lower screen. Managed to boot into HBL after holding L a couple of times, but launching the RXTools app just takes me back to HBL. I'm not able to get to the home menu at all.

How do I undo all the changes done by the Emunand9 tool? I want to try again from scratch.

Thanks

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to block them at all. If you have unlinked your nands you can update your EmuNAND no problems will occur. Thats why people use EmuNAND as rxTools patches it to still allow .cia's you just need to Install FBI.cia before you Update. Just never update SysNAND and your set.

no i don't think so, not on N3ds, nothing supports emunand over 9.5 , it doesn't matter if it's linked or unlinked

if you update your emunand past 9.5 on a NEW 3ds then you won't be able to boot emunand and you will have to start over and reinstall all your cias after setting up emunand 9.5 or under again

rxtools 3.0 might support 10.3 on N3ds when it is released
and on old 3ds you still have to wait for GW to release an update launceh when emunand gets blocked not sure about with rxtools but you should never update your emunand without checking if it is blocked 1st,and seeing if there is a new GW launcher if you use GW and not sure sbout how you go about updating rxtools or if you need to, i just know nothing supports emunand over 9.5 on new3ds

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Still no luck. After the initial RXTools setup, it doesn't take me to the home menu. I get a red box flashing in the lower screen. Managed to boot into HBL after holding L a couple of times, but launching the RXTools app just takes me back to HBL. I'm not able to get to the home menu at all.

How do I undo all the changes done by the Emunand9 tool? I want to try again from scratch.

Thanks
Don't start from scratch. As I said your doing fine and that is normal have a look in the Troubleshooter Spoiler, It has the fix there.

Your doing fine btw keep going :P

@weatMod Your msg is blank, Unsure if you had a msg there but its not showing for me.
EDIT: Your msg is in the quote. And no you can still update your System to 9.5 you just need to use a Homebrew called "SysUpdator" and download the 9.5 firmware from "Dat Iso Site".

Last edited by PRAGMA,
Reactions: VenomSnake

jAquaD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for your help. I wasn't able to follow your guide exactly, but I have my emuNAND @ 10.3 and sysNAND @ 9.2. As of lately, I have been able to successfully run GBA games after installing the .cia on both NANDs.

What safety measures/precautions do I take now to keep my system working as stable as it is now?
1) Can I update software or access eShop on emuNAND? (Last time, I updated Pokemon Bank software through eShop and encountered an "incorrect save data error", ended up losing everything)
2) Can I update my retail cart data through eShop/internet without screwing up my emuNAND?
3) What's this rumor about sleep mode? I can't put my 3DS in sleep mode anymore after CFW? I can't find where I read it, I just remember reading it among the thousands of threads I've combed through so far.

Thanks again for your help and your guide! You people on this forum deserve more for making all possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying