• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Infamous shyster George Santos finally expelled from US Congress

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 4,552
  • Replies 70
  • Likes 6

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Explain. Who else has painted their face orange to save their congressional seat?

Those other 6 House members were expelled after being convicted of a felony. Santos has never even been indicted. So much for protecting our precious democracy. The voters wishes no longer matter. Let the hunger games begin.
Post automatically merged:

It would take a compete encyclopedia set to detail all of the law breaking they do up there in our name. Here's to hoping he goes scorched earth.

Imagine thinking that Trump is the first politician to lie in all of history. Really. Imagine this is a serious comment backed up by serious thoughts and evidence.
Need that translator again.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think you take a lot of the problems with politics/politicians and pin them on Trump.
I'm pinning the problem on the Republican party in its entirety, which has proven itself all too willing to support obvious conmen. It'll just be one Santos after another from here on out until the party's voters wise up to the grift, or until they clean house and enact new ethics rules from the top down.

Yeah, it seems to have to be blatantly obvious to the point of embarrassment for anyone to get kicked out. @Xzi Not sure if the Democrats can say they're so amazing while they still have Bob Menendez in the senate. That one seems pretty comically blatant as well.
Menendez faced calls to resign from nearly every prominent Democrat the moment the accusations came to light. He's doing everything he can to cling to power, but his days are numbered.

Santos has never even been indicted.
Wrong, he's facing up to twenty years in prison.

Imagine thinking that Trump is the first politician to lie in all of history. Really. Imagine this is a serious comment backed up by serious thoughts and evidence.
First to lie? No. First to lie about absolutely fucking EVERYTHING, even superficial stuff like his height? Yes. At some point during the course of his 30,000+ lies told in office, his potato-brained supporters started believing all of them. Now they're ripe for exploitation from every angle, political or otherwise.

Last edited by Xzi,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

How is it that you can make @TraderPatTX look reasonable by offering yourself as contrast? You aren't exactly garnering intelligent support. Are you working for Red? You remind me of those people who were recruited to "protest" big oil by standing in highways, blocking emergency responders from saving lives. You and @dark_disney have a net negative effect to liberal causes. It's a shame.

I'm pinning the problem on the Republican party in its entirety, which has proven itself all too willing to support obvious conmen. It'll just be one Santos after another from here on out until the party's voters wise up to the grift, or until they clean house and enact new ethics rules from the top down.

I guess "obvious" is doing the heavy lifting in this statement. We should allow encourage the two parties to cannibalize each other as new parties develop their platforms. You should work on yours, too. Even if you don't get many votes, the example will demonstrate that there is an interest and have a catalyzing effect. You and everyone knows that there is an interest--but still there is hesitation?

So much for protecting our precious democracy

It's the democracy of democracy.

Last edited by tabzer,
  • Haha
Reactions: supermist

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Menendez faced calls to resign from nearly every prominent Democrat the moment the accusations came to light. He's doing everything he can to cling to power, but his days are numbered.
A lot of people also called for Santos to resign, but it took an entire investigation that took over a year to kick him out. I'd like to hope that it doesn't take THAT long for Menendez to get the boot. Even then, it looks like he'll be arrested before he can be kicked out.

I honestly don't know if the senate has similar voting to remove a sitting member like the house does. If they had that avenue, it would at least give a little more credibility to the left that they hold their own accountable.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my fear if trump gets into power he'll go even further than Xi who abolished term limits he'll probrobably abolish/desolve congress day 1 some how to prevent impeachment my worst fear comes in 2 cenario both bad think of a holocaust but instead of jews being killed it's those registered democrattic and 2 a second civil war though this is about santos and i doubt he'll be the last to break laws so brazenly on either side

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
my fear if trump gets into power he'll go even further than Xi who abolished term limits he'll probrobably abolish/desolve congress day 1 some how to prevent impeachment my worst fear comes in 2 cenario both bad think of a holocaust but instead of jews being killed it's those registered democrattic and 2 a second civil war though this is about santos and i doubt he'll be the last to break laws so brazenly on either side
is it even possible? It's not a rhetorical or ironic question, it is just a genuine doubt of mine.

if it is possible, what he will need to pull it off? The army loyalty? Majority on congress? Again, it's a genuine question, sorry if it's too dumb.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it even possible? It's not a rhetorical or ironic question, it is just a genuine doubt of mine.

if it is possible, what he will need to pull it off? The army loyalty? Majority on congress? Again, it's a genuine question, sorry if it's too dumb.
It's possible, but very unlikely.
The three branches of U.S. government operate with a complex series of checks and balances that ensure that two or more of the three branches (Judicial, Legislative, and Executive) need to agree for any major action to be taken. It's why we're seeing so many of Biden's actions being overturned by the Republican-majority House, and why nothing is getting done in that regard.
There's a reasonably high chance the House will flip to a Democrat majority come the next election, which would further grind any drastic action to a halt.
Trump would need the support of either Congress or the Supreme Court, theoretically, and he would need a pretty damn good reason to change the rules that have been holding strong for hundreds of years. "Democrats bad" isn't going to cut it.
The whole point of the three branches of government is to prevent any branch from becoming too powerful.
That being said, I'm doubtful that Trump will become President, at least as it is now, given how his trials have been proceeding. It's very neck-and-neck right now, but if Trump loses his criminal case that could mean both a loss in support and a potential loss of eligibility.
I doubt that Trump would even know the first thing about dissolving and reorganizing a country's government. He's a very good businessman, but not a great politician.

Those fears from the other person are understandable from a certain perspective, but not really realistic. China's transformation of power was under very different circumstances than the U.S. today. With how similarly-poised the two parties are, any sort of dictatorship founded out of either party just wouldn't work.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't use smaller words for you.

I was not aware he was already indicted. He still hasn't been found guilty of those charges though. Remember innocent until proven guilty? Leftists really hate that that is still around.
First to lie? No. First to lie about absolutely fucking EVERYTHING, even superficial stuff like his height? Yes. At some point during the course of his 30,000+ lies told in office, his potato-brained supporters started believing all of them. Now they're ripe for exploitation from every angle, political or otherwise.
That WaPo list of 30,000+ lies have been debunked. Not to mention they repeated many of them to boost the numbers. You say you are against billionaires, yet you use the talking points of their corporations at every turn. My guess is that you are not really against billionaires as long as they are the ones who you agree with. And the vast majority of them hold leftists views.

• Haha
Reactions: supermist and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was not aware he was already indicted. He still hasn't been found guilty of those charges though. Remember innocent until proven guilty?
Expulsion from Congress doesn't require conviction nor even indictment, it's an entirely separate process. And you know Republicans wouldn't have voted in favor of expulsion unless Santos was doing real damage to his own party. They're willing to ignore the vast majority of criminal charges when it's one of their own indicted.

You say you are against billionaires, yet you use the talking points of their corporations at every turn. My guess is that you are not really against billionaires as long as they are the ones who you agree with. And the vast majority of them hold leftists views.
Trump is a billionaire you moron, or at least claims to be. Biden is not. There is no leftist political party in the US, best we get is the center-right trying to balance out the far-right.

Reactions: KingVamp

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expulsion from Congress doesn't require conviction nor even indictment, it's an entirely separate process. And you know Republicans wouldn't have voted in favor of expulsion unless Santos was doing real damage to his own party. They're willing to ignore the vast majority of criminal charges when it's one of their own indicted.
Still waiting on the Dems to expel Jamaal Bowman for pulling a fire alarm and delaying a vote, which we've been told is insurrection and a threat to democracy. You should sit this one out, sport.
Trump is a billionaire you moron, or at least claims to be. Biden is not. There is no leftist political party in the US, best we get is the center-right trying to balance out the far-right.
I'm proud of my support for Trump and I also do not call for billionaires to be taxed more. You are the one who supports taxing billionaires, but still support Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, George Soros, and every other Wall Street hedge fund who supports Act Blue and Joe Biden. You are the hypocrite here. Not me. You are just too stupid to realize or understand it.

#DoBetter

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Still waiting on the Dems to expel Jamaal Bowman for pulling a fire alarm and delaying a vote, which we've been told is insurrection and a threat to democracy.
Oh is that what we're pretending happened on January 6th now? Somebody just pulled a fire alarm?

I'm proud of my support for Trump and I also do not call for billionaires to be taxed more.
Because you're a useful idiot still waiting on trickle down from the Reagan administration to benefit you. Elect billionaires and they work exclusively to benefit other billionaires. End of story.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still waiting on the Dems to expel Jamaal Bowman for pulling a fire alarm and delaying a vote, which we've been told is insurrection and a threat to democracy. You should sit this one out, sport.

I'm proud of my support for Trump and I also do not call for billionaires to be taxed more. You are the one who supports taxing billionaires, but still support Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, George Soros, and every other Wall Street hedge fund who supports Act Blue and Joe Biden. You are the hypocrite here. Not me. You are just too stupid to realize or understand it.

#DoBetter
you supporting trump (a horrible person) surely says something about you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto