• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

After Fallout From "Defund the Police" Political Party Tries To Shift Blame

Deleted member 559230

OP
Trophies
XP
Can anyone remember last years cries from the liberals and progressives to de-fund the police? Not only did the left burn, loot and murder people over outrage relating to a drug addict that died while he was resisting arrest, but their BLM and Antifa organizations frequently called for police budget cuts. Well it turns out that some municipalities did cut their police budget and crime skyrocketed. Now the White House is trying to deceive the public and claim that it is the Republicans that want to de-fund the police and it's all over the fact that they voted against Biden's Virus relief bill that included a bunch of shit that was unrelated to COVID-19 (the Chinese Wuhan Coronavirus).

The Democrats in the White House logic is that due to the fact that the Republicans voted against a bad bill that they are somehow responsible for de-funding the police. To say that because they didn't pass the bill that the police are being de-funded is ludicrous. No money was being withheld, nothing was being taken away - the damned bill wasn't passed into law. Not only that, but the Democrats and their lefty Liberal buddies are the ones who have been calling for getting rid of police funding for almost two years now and that's something they want everyone to forget. I'm not sure about you, but I remember what has taken place over the past two years, but if for some reason you're part of spreading the Liberal lie or a dumb-ass with no clue Fox has posted a good story with a link to a video that includes sniplits of what the Liberals and progressives said and did.

The video shows a series of tweets and headlines where the left-wing politicians have called for de-funding the police and abolishing ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement).

Looking Back: Democrats Push to Defund the Police

-- Source: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-video-democrats-defund-police

President Biden and Democratic leadership have distanced themselves from the far-left rally cries to defund the police, with some moderates blaming the Squad's defunding rhetoric for Democratic House losses in November.

But in a new twist, Democrats are trying to turn the tables and accuse Republicans of being anti-police, starting with failing to back a Jan. 6 independent commission and opposing $1.9 billion to boost Capitol security and fund the police officers.

Recently at the White House, Biden adviser Cedric Richmond and press secretary Jen Psaki accused Republicans of defunding the police because they voted against Biden's $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, even though it included $350 billion for state and local governments that could be used for local police.

So even if by somehow the Liberals twisted logic was valid ... that by not voting for pork that the Republicans are somehow de-funding the police was that the actual bill doesn't explicitly state the money was to go to law enforcement. If you read the bill you'll see the money "could" be given to the police, but doesn't have to be. Knowing Democrats the police would have never seen a dime anyway.

Personally I'm not surprised by the Democrats attempt to deflect and shift blame as its something they've become good at, well, not "good" at in general, but well enough to fool the average idiot who votes for them.

How about you? Does this surprise you? What do you think about this development?

Last edited by Deleted member 559230,

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The more folks try to drag George Floyd's body through the mud, the more telling it is how little they give a crap. "Defund the police" ACTUALLY means to put that money in less deadly first-responders for situations that could use a less brutal first-response. Which in turn would engender the police to be better used in other situations. But you don't give a shit about that, you just want your fun little talking point.

Deleted member 559230

OP
Trophies
XP
The more folks try to drag George Floyd's body through the mud, the more telling it is how little they give a crap. "Defund the police" ACTUALLY means to put that money in less deadly first-responders for situations that could use a less brutal first-response. Which in turn would engender the police to be better used in other situations. But you don't give a shit about that, you just want your fun little talking point.

The left are the ones calling for the defunding of the police. Not the Republicans. You are right though about me not giving a crap about Floyd. I really don't care about random meth head junkies or when they overdose and die.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

stop using garbage sources (and fox news it total garbage I mean it (or rather some of it's anchors) got sued for defamation remember?

Fox wasn't the only source I used in my story. Are you blind? There's a shit ton of links. Though, what about the Fox news article is inaccurate? You claim its lies - so prove it.

Reactions: jimbo13

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The left are the ones calling for the defunding of the police. Not the Republicans. You are right though about me not giving a crap about Floyd. I really don't care about random meth head junkies or when they overdose and die.
Well there you go, you don't wanna consider how first-responders are better used in a given situation. That would mean less funding to the police, and more funding to less brutal means of responses to situations that don't require a police officer ready for lethal action. It would probably make the public trust the cops more, stop feeling unsafe calling for help, etc. But no, let's just dunk on the dead guy.

Deleted member 559230

OP
Trophies
XP
Well there you go, you don't wanna consider how first-responders are better used in a given situation. That would mean less funding to the police, and more funding to less brutal means of responses to situations that don't require a police officer ready for lethal action. It would probably make the public trust the cops more, stop feeling unsafe calling for help, etc. But no, let's just dunk on the dead guy.

If you read my links you'd see that the defunding of the police has backfired on the cities that have done it. Your theory that sending social workers to deal with criminals is viable doesn't look so good if you research how much crime has risen in the cities that have cut police funding.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dumb thread. Moderates like Biden never said they supported defunding police, or even reducing funding. It's only leftists and some progressives who were saying that, and continue to say it. Nobody's changed their minds or been inconsistent here, you're just conflating two disparate groups' ideologies.

ACAB

Last edited by Xzi,

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you read my links you'd see that the defunding of the police has backfired on the cities that have done it. Your theory that sending social workers to deal with criminals is viable doesn't look so good if you research how much crime has risen in the cities that have cut police funding.
Are you accurately and fairly weighing the outcomes of the reinvestments? How fast are you expecting these changes to come?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Police should be demilitarized, and defunded on the Fire Department level. They should be put on standby, and only respond if there's a call. Not roaming the streets like a bunch of murderous extortionist thugs looking for trouble. For anything more intense, we have S.W.A.T.

"If we need you, we'll call you."

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Police should be demilitarized, and defunded on the Fire Department level. They should be put on standby, and only respond if there's a call. Not roaming the streets like a bunch of murderous extortionist thugs looking for trouble. For anything more intense, we have S.W.A.T.

"If we need you, we'll call you."

Prevention still is the best way to keep crime numbers down. If police wouldn't roam the streets, crime would sky rocket.

Also try to stay away from stereotyping. Yes, some cops run around thinking they're all mighty, but that's far from every cop. In most cases if you are friendly, and just do what is being asked, they often will be very humane. Most videos I see passing by about "bad cops", start by people just being assholes to them in the first place.

If anything, the police should get more funding. Give them proper education and weed out those cops who are letting the power rise to their heads.

In case of george floyd, defunding the police or putting them on standby wouldn't have changed a thing. The guy was so drugged out that he tried to pay with obvious fake money in a store, twice in 10 minutes. The store owner had no choice but to call the cops.

Reactions: VartioArtel

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even I have problems with "defund the police", should have been something like "reform the police" from the get go.
The institutions of policing we have now are corrupt from the very top down, starting with the police union which endorses outright murder. The only way to reform them is to either: abolish them in their current form entirely and establish a new safety force in their place, or to reduce their funding to the point where they can only handle one task: responding to violent crime. Really it's the only task they ever should have been a part of, we have firefighters and EMTs for everything else, and we could easily establish a new group to respond to non-violent crime (drugs, disabilities, mental crises).

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The institutions of policing we have now are corrupt from the very top down, starting with the police union which endorses outright murder. The only way to reform them is to either: abolish them in their current form entirely and establish a new safety force in their place, or to reduce their funding to the point where they can only handle one task: responding to violent crime. Really it's the only task they ever should have been a part of, we have firefighters and EMTs for everything else, and we could easily establish a new group to respond to non-violent crime (drugs, disabilities, mental crises).
You're right but the political reality demands something more pragmatic, according to the polls
the word "pragmatic" is shitty, I mean something more easily swallowed. The word pragmatic definition is a piece of shit to imply "sensibility." Your solution is what is truly sensible.

Last edited by yuyuyup,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These ideas are all fine. I still think reform is more accurate. As someone said, "defund" just doesn't sound good and it also implies you are just taking away money and not doing anything else.

Deleted member 559230

OP
Trophies
XP
Are you accurately and fairly weighing the outcomes of the reinvestments? How fast are you expecting these changes to come?

The question is how fast did the people in these cities expect the outcome to become positive? It looks like due to the fact they are now going back on their defunding claims that they themselves have given up on the experiment. To someone from the outside it sure looks like their plans failed miserably. Remember though, it's the Leftist Liberals and Progressives that wanted to defund the police ... not the Conservative Republicans.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Absolute fools the 'defund the police' crowd are. I'm very glad they have been proven so wrong. But the sad fact is there are brainwashed drones out there who still believe it. Even in this very thread.

I hate every interaction I have with the cops, mostly because I know it's going to end up costing me money. But at the same time, I don't mouth off. I don't act like a tool bag. I don't go on a political rant and invent made up stories to become a self-made victim. If I did any of that it would cost me a lot more, as the stupid people easily find out. Because at the end of the day, if my life is in danger I'm not going to be calling my local social worker to save my ass.

Last edited by laudern,

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The question is how fast did the people in these cities expect the outcome to become positive? It looks like due to the fact they are now going back on their defunding claims that they themselves have given up on the experiment. To someone from the outside it sure looks like their plans failed miserably. Remember though, it's the Leftist Liberals and Progressives that wanted to defund the police ... not the Conservative Republicans.
Do you have proof of anyone "going back" on the reinvestment?

BrothaJayWilson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prevention still is the best way to keep crime numbers down. If police wouldn't roam the streets, crime would sky rocket.

Also try to stay away from stereotyping. Yes, some cops run around thinking they're all mighty, but that's far from every cop. In most cases if you are friendly, and just do what is being asked, they often will be very humane. Most videos I see passing by about "bad cops", start by people just being assholes to them in the first place.

If anything, the police should get more funding. Give them proper education and weed out those cops who are letting the power rise to their heads.

In case of george floyd, defunding the police or putting them on standby wouldn't have changed a thing. The guy was so drugged out that he tried to pay with obvious fake money in a store, twice in 10 minutes. The store owner had no choice but to call the cops.
Im calling BULLSHIT HERE If that was the whole story the outcome would have been slightly LESS Publicized, and NONE of THIS CONDONES TAKING A MANS LIFE! All these idiots talking shit and passing judgement on a dead man, STOP your PRIVLEDGE IS SHOWING!! and BTW I live in Minneapolis! Born and Raised

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: As He himself even stated.