• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Infamous shyster George Santos finally expelled from US Congress

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 4,554
  • Replies 70
  • Likes 6

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...harges-faces-house-expulsion-vote-2023-12-01/

Democrats were joined by the majority of Republicans (except House leadership) in voting to expel Santos, leaving Republicans with control of one less seat. Santos is known to have lied about nearly every aspect his personal and public life in order to boost his election chances, though it was maybe the revelation that he had a history of cross-dressing which was the final straw for members of his party. Or perhaps they only took issue with him being caught. Regardless, Santos' offenses were ultimately too blatant, or too headline-grabbing to ignore.

Post-Civil War, only five members of Congress have been expelled in history.

Last edited by Xzi,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"In the entire history of the United States Congress, 21 Members have been expelled: 15 from the Senate and six from the House of Representatives. Seventeen of these 21 were expelled for supporting the Confederate States in 1861 and 1862."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress

He should have just slept with a Chinese spy and he'd still have his seat.

When are all the other liars gonna get expelled now that precedent has been set?

Fat chance. They need to have a high threshold of votes, and there are more liars than votes.

Reactions: TraderPatTX and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
When are all the other liars gonna get expelled now that precedent has been set?
After trying everything else, I'm surprised Santos didn't once paint his face orange. Might've saved his seat.

"In the entire history of the United States Congress, 21 Members have been expelled: 15 from the Senate and six from the House of Representatives. Seventeen of these 21 were expelled for supporting the Confederate States in 1861 and 1862."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress
Oop, thanks for the correction. Was meant to be a post-Civil War statistic.

Reactions: tabzer

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fat chance. They need to have a high threshold of votes, and there are more liars than votes.
Yup. Something as big as a Congressperson being expelled is a big deal, because it requires both parties to work together. And if you know anything about the American political parties, you know that they never work together.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone wanna decipher this nonsense?
"The entire Congress is corrupted, so if he'd given in to the corruption and given government secrets to China (?) he'd still be a part of Congress".

"Now that one Congress representative has been ejected, when will every corrupt politician (read: all of Congress) be expelled as well?"

That's what I got out of it, anyway. This person clearly has little faith in the integrity of Congress. I'm guessing his opinion echoes to other facets of the U.S. government as well.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I kind of hoped he would have been kicked out for stealing charity money that was supposed to go towards the surgery for a veteran's dog. I mean, that's comically evil.

Even after the damning report came out, 112 Republicans voted to keep him. Once again showing that you can lie and do anything, as long as it helps keep the majority.

Last edited by titan_tim,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I kind of hoped he would have been kicked out for stealing charity money that was supposed to go towards the surgery for a veteran's dog. I mean, that's comically evil.

Even after the damning report came out, 112 Republicans voted to keep him. Once again showing that you can lie and do anything, as long as it helps keep the majority.

I don’t think that they would want to become scrutinizing on how charities work is my guess. I agree with @Xzi that getting caught is the crime. It's not a crime if no one reports it. The media seems to operate the same way.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don’t think that they would want to become scrutinizing on how charities work is my guess. I agree with @Xzi that getting caught is the crime. It's not a crime if no one reports it. The media seems to operate the same way.
It's more on the Republican party that they refuse to hold their own accountable without enormous outside pressure from both the opposition party and the media. Santos only believed he could get away with so many easily-refuted lies because Trump paved the way first, and even after he was indicted for fraud it wasn't clear that Republicans would support his expulsion.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's more on the Republican party that they refuse to hold their own accountable without enormous outside pressure from both the opposition party and the media. Santos only believed he could get away with so many easily-refuted lies because Trump paved the way first, and even after he was indicted for fraud it wasn't clear that Republicans would support his expulsion.

I think you take a lot of the problems with politics/politicians and pin them on Trump. So far you may see him as the pinnacle, but he's just banking on the trend. He's literally a cartoon in such a way. The way you write makes me believe that you think politicians were good until Trump showed up. I would think he is revelational, despite being your villain.

Reactions: titan_tim

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, it seems to have to be blatantly obvious to the point of embarrassment for anyone to get kicked out. @Xzi Not sure if the Democrats can say they're so amazing while they still have Bob Menendez in the senate. That one seems pretty comically blatant as well.

Remember when that Madison Cawthorn guy wasn't reelected, and he mentioned that people working for the drug control board were doing cocaine, and others invited him to an orgy? I was hoping that he'd tell on everyone. Now Santos is making similar accusations, so we'll have to see if he'll help indirectly clean out some other people.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pfff... Finally.

I admit it seems like nothing when compared to you know who, but this guy managed to some comically bad misdemeanors nonetheless.

Congratulations, Republicans who voted to expel. You now have one exception on your 'all out evil' track record. Still a long way to go, but at least it's something in the right direction for a change. :)

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After trying everything else, I'm surprised Santos didn't once paint his face orange. Might've saved his seat.
Explain. Who else has painted their face orange to save their congressional seat?
Oop, thanks for the correction. Was meant to be a post-Civil War statistic.
Those other 6 House members were expelled after being convicted of a felony. Santos has never even been indicted. So much for protecting our precious democracy. The voters wishes no longer matter. Let the hunger games begin.
Post automatically merged:

I anxiously await for the book detailing the dirty laundry of others LOL
It would take a compete encyclopedia set to detail all of the law breaking they do up there in our name. Here's to hoping he goes scorched earth.
Post automatically merged:

Imagine thinking that Trump is the first politician to lie in all of history. Really. Imagine this is a serious comment backed up by serious thoughts and evidence.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?