Illegal?? Why do people say this!

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is it everywhere you look here on GBATemp you see that copyright violations (sending say, Nintendo's base.wad file for making channles) is illegal. It's not. There's no criminal code against it. Period. It is NOT illegal!

Yes, you can be sued by the owner of the copyright, but you cannot go to jail, nor will the police bust in on you and haul you off to your local state/county prison.

Can we stop with the illegal word please?? Not Authorized is much better... since the person posting Nintendo's code is not authorized to do so.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well most people see illegal as something that can get you brought to court, fined, or thrown in jail. I say illegal since it's easier to with one hand since I'm too lazy to spin far enough to reach all of the keyboard.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As you can see, I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe something slips under my radar... but what's the difference between something that is "not authorised" and something that is "not allowed by the law", that is, "illegal"? I'm not trying to raise a fuss, but I think those terms are pretty similar, if not completely, aren't they?

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Piracy=illegal=theft

ohmy.gif

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
Well not authorized could be not being allowed into a room, however it isn't illegal to go into the room. Someone just doesn't want you going there.

Edit: Wow huge typos

Is unauthorization the same as trespassing?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I go into a store, and go into a door that say's "Authorized Personel Only", I won't go to jail because I'm not Authorized... I'll just get kicked out of the store.

If I were to go into a store and TAKE something, yes, I'll probably go to jail.

Copyright violations never TAKE anything. You only COPY the information. The only known copying that I can think of that will put you in jail is counterfeiting money. Because you actually steal something at that point... Your stealing merchandise with money that is not real.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
If I go into a store, and go into a door that say's "Authorized Personel Only", I won't go to jail because I'm not Authorized... I'll just get kicked out of the store.

If I were to go into a store and TAKE something, yes, I'll probably go to jail.

But in the first case you won't go to jail because that person who doesn't allow you to go into that room is not the law. He has the right to allow or not allow someone in his property, but not to send him to jail. If the law forbids you from doing something, then it's both illegal and not authorised by the law. If we talk about what the current legislation stipulates, both terms refer to the same thing, don't they?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.