Illegal?? Why do people say this!

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope he's right and on that note golfman going into a room that you weren't supposed to enter is illegal. it can be depending on how you got there either trespassing or breaking and entering in both cases illegal and if someone decides to contact the authorities you can go to jail.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jefffisher said:
if someone decides to contact the authorities you can go to jail.

I guess I didn't really get my point across, it was supposed to be that you'll only be charged with it if the person who owns the property wants to press charges.

Edit: Actually I have no idea what I was try to say.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That doesn't count, it just means that the people who copyrighted the work get more control over people that break it. So it doesn't deem it legal, it just means that they can get information about the person breaking it really, then either ask them to stop or sue their ass for cash.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
plus, love your sig image... you say illegal, but remember, piracy is not theft!
But piracy is illegal.
DMCA. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it right. Piracy (at least in the US), being the unauthorized use of copyrighted material is illegal.
^Broad statement, not meant for use in every case and does not cover everything.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone here ever gotten a DMCA notice? DMCA notices are issued by your ISP. Your ISP got another notice (Or noticed what you were doing) and wants you to stop before it escalates. Usually ISPs are told by anti-p2p networks working for large companys that get pirated from quite a bit. The DMCA law allows the ISP to not be the one getting sued, it transfers the liability to you.

Edit: Nevermind I've never actually read the court cases. Making anything with the purpose of breaking the copyright protection is illegal, and that includes modchips. Yay modchips are illegal in the US!

I've retyped that like 6 times and it still sucks.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The NET Act only applies for COMMERCIAL copyright violations... if you make money SOLELY on the distribution of copyrighted materials...

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
The NET Act only applies for COMMERCIAL copyright violations... if you make money SOLELY on the distribution of copyrighted materials...
Reread it again:

QUOTEPrior to the enactment of the NET Act in 1997, copyright infringement for a non-commercial purpose was apparently not punishable by criminal prosecution, although non-commercial infringers could be sued in a civil action by the copyright holder to recover damages.

The NET Act amends the definition of "commercial advantage or private financial gain" to include the exchange of copies of copyrighted works even if no money changes hands and specifies penalties of up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines.

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jph said:
illegal schmegal
i for one thinks the staff should set up servers @ our homes and host nds/wii/gba roms for every one to leech
I agree that GBATemp should go back to its roots
smileipb2.png

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
zidane_genome said:
Reread it again:

QUOTEPrior to the enactment of the NET Act in 1997, copyright infringement for a non-commercial purpose was apparently not punishable by criminal prosecution, although non-commercial infringers could be sued in a civil action by the copyright holder to recover damages.

The NET Act amends the definition of "commercial advantage or private financial gain" to include the exchange of copies of copyrighted works even if no money changes hands and specifies penalties of up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines.

Sorry, I read the actual law, not the Wikipidea entry... and btw, the Wiki entry is wrong... it's still not a crime for non-commercial infringment... why do you think the MAFIAA hasn't been able to put anyone in jail?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way i understand it pretty much falls into the "Give em an inch, they'll take a mile" (or centimeter/kilometer maybe? is THAT a saying?) If we start to separate out all the different types of legal actions that could be taken, people would be come confused, or just wouldn't bother reading what can and cant be said (i mean, look at how often people read the current rules >_>). If as much grey as possible is removed, then our boards can remain black and white, and its a lot safer when things are black and white.

Also, YOU'RE illegal!

Win.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
agentgamma said:
jph said:
illegal schmegal
i for one thinks the staff should set up servers @ our homes and host nds/wii/gba roms for every one to leech
smileipb2.png

Lol Ive seen this said before (in a serious way) but I can never understand the reasoning behind it. Does anyone here really have any problems getting this sort of thing extremely easily from other sources? So much so that they think GBAtemp should jeopardise itself by hosting this sort of thing?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
p1ngpong said:
agentgamma said:
jph said:
illegal schmegal
smileipb2.png

Lol Ive seen this said before but I can never understand the reasoning behind it. Does anyone here really have any problems getting this sort of thing extremely easily from other sources? So much so that they think GBAtemp should jeopardise itself by hosting this sort of thing?
I'd rather see GBAtemp host hack and translation projects than ROMs
smileipb2.png

Anyway, saying illegal is so much easier. Of course, the meaning may not be "illegal", but "not authorized". At any rate, casual people won't really care about the difference (yes, the difference is just like what zidane genome said), because when they hear "Not authorized" the memory inside their head proposes the meaning "You should not do that", the similar meaning with the word "Illegal" (You CAN'T do that), and since illegal is easier to say and type than not authorized, this is what happens.

I for one, prefer to type illegal than not authorized

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:

You've got it wrong. the point of the law WAS to criminalise copyright infringement even if there was no financial gain.

QUOTE said:
On December 16, 1997, President Clinton signed HR 2265 -- the 'No Electronic Theft' Act -- into law. The act, sponsored by Representative Goodlatte (R-Virginia), was passed in the House on 11/4/97 and in the Senate on 11/13/97.

HR 2265 was viewed as "closing a loophole" in the criminal law. Under the old statutory scheme, people who intentionally distributed copied software over the Internet did not face criminal penalties if they did not profit from their actions.
http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/iclp/hr2265.html

QUOTE said:
"In December 1997, Congress passed the No Electronic Theft ("NET") Act, making it a criminal offense to distribute or to reproduce copies of copyrighted works, if not authorized to do so, regardless of whether the distributor was trying to profit from the activity. The legislation was intended to fill a gap in the criminal copyright statute, highlighted in the dismissal of an indictment in United States v. LaMacchia, 871 F. Supp. 535 (D Mass 1994).
http://www.cybertelecom.org/ip/netact.htm

The Net Act was passed to close a loophole in the former criminal copyright law, which required proof of financial gain. This loophole was exposed during the criminal trial against a Massachusetts Institute of Technology student named LaMacchia. Apparently for a lark (and not for payment), LaMacchia transferred computer games that he and others uploaded from one BBS to another, where users of the second BBS could download them. LaMacchia was found innocent of criminal copyright law violations simply because he was not paid for the games.

The Net Act now authorizes criminal prosecutions against anyone who willfully reproduces or distributes copyrighted material by electronic means, regardless of one’s purpose or motive. In other words, uploading a copy of someone else’s software onto the Net so your friends can download it for free may now be a crime.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
The NET Act is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever seen.......................I mean, pirating copyrighted material should be between Nintendo (for example) and you, not the law.

If you ask me, the NET Act was passed by politicos who are trying to cover businesses for their own gain.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The code, by law, is owned by Nintendo.

You do not have permission to redistribute the code.

Definition of illegal: "Prohibited by law."

Therefore, illegal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...