Hacking Ignorant without DS-X

klideklown

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
46
Trophies
0
XP
210
Country
United States
Been using my DS-X Religiously for the past .. who knows how long.. I havn't had any problems, i can patch and all that junk perfectly fine to play my backups, but I think its getting to the point where this nice piece of Equipment is.. well.. Past its time Im looking to find something more Current, that requires less work in order to maintain. Im ignorant as to where to go, and what to purchase even due to so many Contradicting opinions all over this forum

So what should I get? Where should I go to get it? Links would be nice.
 

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Member
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
7,708
Trophies
1
Website
Visit site
XP
2,191
Country
United States
Making a topic to ask which flash cart to buy is frowned upon here, because you'll just get a bunch of fanboys each claiming their flash cart is the best.
Just go here post your criterion in this topic, and hopefully you'll get a unbiased recommendation.
 

HitBattousai

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
54
Trophies
0
XP
661
Country
United States
As Demon said, that thread is a good place to look/ask. Personally I would say the best balance of performance, support, and price is the Acekard2i though.
 

onibaku

Lurker
Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
325
Trophies
1
XP
2,008
Country
Sweden
yeah i got the Acekard 2i recently but there's a new card coming, the Supercard DSTwo, it sounds pretty good plus it has gba emulation without any extra hardware which is pretty neat
 

klideklown

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
46
Trophies
0
XP
210
Country
United States
Thanks for the point in the right direction. Got a Acekard2 commin' soon. Appreciate all the help
smile.gif
 

levis315

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Mar 9, 2010
Messages
25
Trophies
0
XP
6
Country
United States
klideklown said:
Been using my DS-X Religiously for the past .. who knows how long.. I havn't had any problems, i can patch and all that junk perfectly fine to play my backups, but I think its getting to the point where this nice piece of Equipment is.. well.. Past its time Im looking to find something more Current, that requires less work in order to maintain. Im ignorant as to where to go, and what to purchase even due to so many Contradicting opinions all over this forum

So what should I get? Where should I go to get it? Links would be nice.

that's great ,I'll get R4 SDHC cards soon
 

Krestent

What to post?
Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
3,953
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
340
Country
United States
levis315 said:
klideklown said:
Been using my DS-X Religiously for the past .. who knows how long.. I havn't had any problems, i can patch and all that junk perfectly fine to play my backups, but I think its getting to the point where this nice piece of Equipment is.. well.. Past its time Im looking to find something more Current, that requires less work in order to maintain. Im ignorant as to where to go, and what to purchase even due to so many Contradicting opinions all over this forum

So what should I get? Where should I go to get it? Links would be nice.

that's great ,I'll get R4 SDHC cards soon
No. An R4 SDHC is a clone. Do NOT get a clone. Get an Acekard 2i.
 

spark1223

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
409
Trophies
0
XP
128
Country
United States
Fanboy's is right, go with Acekard 2i.

But seriously, the fanboy factor is why you read up on cards, then, research that card hard as shit, know every problem that could come up, then ask on the boards about those issues, then if you think there might be something better research another and repeat, that's really the best way because you get the card that is best for you and not what is better for joe dick head here on the boards.

What is good for you is not always good for me or anyone else, that's why we have this great thing called choice and individuality and that's why fascism don't work or any government where the whole is treated like its an individual or where everybody is treated the same, has to act the same, is expected to do the same thing. Same doesn't work for everyone because we all need different things to progress.

blink.gif
Whoa man, tangent. Anyways hope I got my point across.
 

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Joined
Aug 29, 2008
Messages
6,258
Trophies
2
Age
38
Location
Hiatus Hell
Website
yourmom.com
XP
4,637
Country
Djibouti
My reccomendation would be an Acekard 2i.

Now, to avoid being accused as a fanboy, i'll suggest a few others.

If you like the features of the CycloDS and don't want to shell out $50, go for the EDGE card. This was my first flash cart, and I would still be using it if my original DS didn't get stolen.

If you absolutely cannot go without Real Time Save, grab a M3 Real. Though I'm not a fan of either firmware.

I have owned all 3 carts, and while I still prefer the EDGE over the AK2i, I really can't argue that the updates come much faster with the AK2i (AKAIO)
 

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
249
Trophies
0
XP
-9
Country
Or you could get an original R4, since it's the cheapest ($3.30, free shipping) and has better build quality than the AK2i. You can run WoodR4 on it, which also has better game compatibility than any other card apart from SCDS2.
 

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
7,519
Trophies
2
Location
Gallifrey
XP
1,321
Country
United Kingdom
Miser said:
Or you could get an original R4, since it's the cheapest ($3.30, free shipping) and has better build quality than the AK2i. You can run WoodR4 on it, which also has better game compatibility than any other card apart from SCDS2.
Get an original R4 from where?
 

tk_saturn

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
3,325
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
55
Country
These aren't original, they are 1:1 clones. I have one of these $3.30 clones, Miser doesn't. He still believes the original R4 team are producing all these R4's....
 

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
249
Trophies
0
XP
-9
Country
Don't start that shit again, tk_saturn.
You posted a picture of your PCB, the backside is identical to the original.
The chip has a production code that was used in the original.
2/2 of the pictures you posted of your PCB indicate that it's the original.
But like I said, don't start.

The most important thing is that it works with WoodR4. Yours works with WoodR4, doesn't it?
 

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
7,519
Trophies
2
Location
Gallifrey
XP
1,321
Country
United Kingdom
It most likely is a 1:1 clone, seeing as the originals are long gone. A 1:1 clone isn't an original, but it's often close enough.
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: As Margaret Thatcher said.