Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Summary of thread:

"it dont hav 1ghz cpu therfor suck!"
Exactly. The people in this thread don't understand how powerful the console really is. As I said before: the 3DS is more powerful than a PS2. I imagine it's gonna be on a par with at least the Wii.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
taktularCBo said:
am I the only one to think that this specs are really impressive?
it could be the first portable game-sys with two cpus (dual-core?).

People saying with this specs it can't have ps3 or even wii quality...you could see this on E3, the preview picture didn't look like a ps3, so what? still for sure a good system.
first? hell no.
GBA already had 2, though only 1 active at a time.
DS/DSi has 2 active AT THE SAME TIME
PSP has 2, though 1 is mostly unused because it's hard to work with.

D

Deleted User

1.5GB? Well, to cut costs, I suppose. Ninty's gotta have some slack on the price. I mean £220 instead of £200 if you want more memory? I, even though I am a scrounger, would probably choose the cheaper option.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
jet™ said:
1.5GB? Well, to cut costs, I suppose. Ninty's gotta have some slack on the price. I mean £220 instead of £200 if you want more memory? I, even though I am a scrounger, would probably choose the cheaper option.
Flash memory is pretty much the only thing I would sacrifice for price. Especially given there should be a SD card storage system.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
thedicemaster said:
taktularCBo said:
am I the only one to think that this specs are really impressive?
it could be the first portable game-sys with two cpus (dual-core?).

People saying with this specs it can't have ps3 or even wii quality...you could see this on E3, the preview picture didn't look like a ps3, so what? still for sure a good system.
first? hell no.
GBA already had 2, though only 1 active at a time.
DS/DSi has 2 active AT THE SAME TIME
PSP has 2, though 1 is mostly unused because it's hard to work with.

do you know the difference between a cpu and gpu/ppu?
No other handheld had two main processor before, one of them was the GPU and one the CPU or even a GPU/CPU combination like for the DS, where the second CPU is used for audio only .

If you count like you do, 3ds has 3.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Even if the MHz alone isn't a good indicator of power, I still say if the Tegra can pack ARM11's (same type as reported here, so comparisons between these two at least, must be valid) at 600-800MHz, perhaps the 3DS should've featured two at around those speeds, instead. Too much, perhaps; but I'd rather see too much overhead than not enough.I'll take a system with more than half an hour of battery life that doesn't burn my hands after using it for 5 minutes and doesn't need it's own internal fans over that, thank you very much.

SlashSpeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I just hope this is gonna cut it for the next 6 years. PSP2 is gonna hit it hard.
unsure.gif

Rommstain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
TM2-Megatron said:
SlashSpeed said:
I just hope this is gonna cut it for the next 6 years. PSP2 is gonna hit it hard.
unsure.gif

And the PSP is more powerful than the DS... how exactly did that help it other than not totally dying?
Well I for one do hope the PSP2 has even better software support than the PSP, strong competitions is always good.

Those concerned with low amount of internal storage shouldn't worry too much, if this becomes an issue the next hardware revision will fix that.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any news about the nintendo 3ds is exciting to me. I just can't wait until next Wednesday when I can finally go place my pre-order for it.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems pretty cool to me, I await to see what the battery life of this will be.

Any guesses on play time?

I will venture my guess of active play time at 3 hours, but I hope its more like 5-6. That way after a year or two it will still have 3 hours of play time due to the battery getting "tired"

Other then that looks to be the ultimate portable system to me, sure you can jack the specs up through the roof but what good is a portable game system when you need to keep it plugged into an outlet to play it?

jbruckus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to the 3ds, the specs released by IGN are imo probably accurate. I have faith in the homebrew community, and I expect there will definitely be various mods available for the 3ds, I just hope its sooner than later. Graphics will probably be close to the Wii , but probably not better as the system is banking on the 3d effect for sales/advertising so I'm sure that aspect will probably be the most impressive thing as far as graphics go.

I hope they don't do what psp-go did and make all games download only. That will put a damper on mods/hacks.

Brainy142

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
not liking the outlook on this at all...

I am not a pro, and my info isn't 100% accurate the specs ARE TRUE however.

for comparison
the 1st IPOD TOUCH had a single arm 11 cpu @ 620mhz (it was underclocked to 412 though)
now, lets factor in that nintendo is smart and isn't running a full os at the same time so it wont matter
and for games the gpu wasn't well made for it (1 mil polly's a second) it was clocked at 50mhz
the 2nd gen had the same gpu with a 533mhz processor and it worked a bit nicer

now the fun stuff.
the ipod touch 3rd gen has a 833mhz processor (underclocked to 600)
but WHY is it faster? it's an CORTEX A8 meaning it is equivalent to over a ghz of an arm 11 core. (engadget had a really nice explanation)
the gpu in the 3rd and 4th is 200mhz powervr.
and the cpu in the 4th gen touch is a whopping 1ghz (cortex a8)

now consider this arcitecture means A LOT
powervr in the 1st and 2nd gen = 1million pollys @50mhz
powervr in the 3rd in 4th 28 MILLION @ 200mhz
do the math

so what does this mean
cpu - seems to be a bit slow, but if leveraged well can produce some nice games
gpu - since the bottom screen is such low pixels, it wont take much power to render. HOWEVER, it has to render 800x480 pixels (for the 3d effect). I think the main issue is the cpu.... just doesn't seem fitting.... the gpu should be fine (if anyone's seen "epic castle" you know what I mean
wink.gif
) plus add that too the faxt the ds doesn't have to store icons and crap in ram
ram, would like to see a little more packed in but as long as we are running ONE APP at a time we should be fine.
nand size 1.5gb is pitiful, it's probably 2gb with a 512 "system partition"

wish's
opengl ES 2.0 (gpu)
cortex cpu
more space
maybe more ram....

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Brainy142 said:
HOWEVER, it has to render 800x480 pixels (for the 3d effect)

Why the hell is this 800x480 figure popping up every now and then ?

Repeat after me: the top screen of 3DS is 800x240. The bottom is 320x240.

Brainy142 said:
I think the main issue is the cpu.... just doesn't seem fitting....

You realise that it's the GPU which is doing 90% work in games ? Basically CPU loads stuff, pushes it to GPU and that's it.

iPod needs stronger CPU to decode H.264, run Safari etc. 3DS will do fine with these two ARMs11; there won't be any sophisticated physics in FPSs, no epic MMORPGs or RTS-s with thousands of units attacking at the same time, but for most games it will do, as except for the graphics, they are extremely simple.

QUOTE(Brainy142 @ Sep 23 2010, 06:58 AM)
nand size 1.5gb is pitiful, it's probably 2gb with a 512 "system partition"

For downloadable games I guess it's OK. And for full-game installs I will use my 16 Gb MicroSD and I'm happy Nintendo is not forcing me to buy theirs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Psi likes to milk beavers lol