Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
wolfmanz51 said:
pachura said:
Satangel said:
Not believing this a single bit

Why ? Knowing Nintendo the specs seem very realistic, apart maybe for a very generous VRAM amount.
that extra VRAM is likely for the 3D/dual screens so even that makes sense

I just don't IGN with those leaks and I'd rather wait another week to hear it from Nintendo there selves than to be disappointed/enthusiastic about these specs.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
wolfmanz51 said:
pachura said:
Satangel said:

Why ? Knowing Nintendo the specs seem very realistic, apart maybe for a very generous VRAM amount.

I just don't IGN with those leaks and I'd rather wait another week to hear it from Nintendo there selves than to be disappointed/enthusiastic about these specs.

No one is asking you to.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
One thing we can all agree on is that when using such lo-res screens, GPU's don't have to work nearly as hard to produce great graphics like HD resolutions require.

I think the 3DS will have some quite impressive graphics that, while they won't be HD, they'll look just as good considering the lo-res screens...and the 3D effect is simply a cool bonus.

But it's still outputting to relatively lo-res screens, so just how much CPU/GPU power do you really need to make it look good and run well?

As for the underclocking thing.....Nintendo did that with the regular DS. The ARM9 in a DSlite is actually capable of 133mhz, but Ninty underclocked it to 66mhz. It not only saves battery life, it also helps the chips live linger by not pushing them too hard. They don't get hot as they run when underclocked....stuff like that.

I'm sure most of the chips in the 3DS will be underclocked, it's the Ninty way.

It really doesn't matter what the 3DS specs are, it's a new Nintendo handheld, it WILL sell many millions and we all know it. I just hope there's a better balance of games on the system this time......a little less kiddie and a little more cool....or badass if you will, you know what I mean? I also hope it doesn't end up flooded with a bunch of FPS games. They have their place, but we don't need TOO many. They need to try and maintain a good balance of genre's so it doesn't slip back into the "kiddie system" category like the DS has.

The DS had a wider variety of games and more mature games than any other system of its generation, handheld or home console. When people say "mature" however, they usually mean "games aimed at teenage boys involving space marines and gangsters and shit."

Which happen to be the same kind of games, with their muddy, overworked graphics, long missions and unintuitive controls, which simply don't work on the handheld as a medium.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fabis94 said:
64MB RAM wtf even my phone has more.
that might be, but your phone probably won't let any single application/game have more than 16MB RAM.
this 64MB all goes to the game currently running.

Rayder: remember, if earlier spec leaks are correct the gpu needs to be powerful enough to at least draw 1x 2D on QVGA and 2x 3D on WQVGA
that is 3 screens(the 3D screen is essetnially 2 WQVGA screens smashed together)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
monkat said:
Satangel said:
wolfmanz51 said:
pachura said:
Satangel said:
No one is asking you to.

Exactly, but some people asked my opinion on me not believing this announcement so I shared it.
My first reaction was just to clarify to people that you should take this news with a little grain of salt, and shouldn't believe everything IGN says.

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
weird specs i mean ive seen phones smaller than the 3ds and has way better specs i think IGN is high on crack

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish i knew what some of this meant. could someone compare this to the ds, gamecube, or wii so i can have some kind of understanding. ie It is 2 times as powerful as the ds or it is as powerful as the gamecube.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Escape: Thanks. ^^

iNFiNiTY said:
This is a kinda misleading comparison though because 2 processors is actually harder to code for, can see the Sega Saturn for an example of this.And it's harder to fit two guys in one office chair? X3

Pliskron said:
64 meg of ram? I don't think so.There was a thread discussing it, and people (including myself) went over it, and a majority of people though 64MB would have been the right amount for various reasons.

QUOTE(wolfmanz51 @ Sep 22 2010, 09:39 AM)
thats a really bad example, Because a core 2 duo 2GHz has micro core architecture so it comes out way more powerful than one with Pentium architecture 2.2 GHz not to mention those are x86 processors and we are talking ARM architecture, and the car thing is more confusing imo. perhaps mine is not that readable but is your explanation really that much better?
I was explaining that ghz is not a measurement of power by using real-world examples.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
TM2-Megatron said:
I'm still calling BS on this, though. Wasn't IGN the one that (not long before the 3DS reveal) claimed it had specs somewhere between the 360 and PS3? They tend to be full of it, and put out info without really knowing if its accurate.
I've heard that, but nobody was ever able to show me the article. The only thing I got shown was relating to it's graphical power, which... as I just explained above, is not directly related to specs when you're on a totally different platform.

Well, there was a thread here on the article, even... however looking back through my own posts (as I did post in it), I can't see it. Cover-up of IGN's idiocy?

EDIT: Ah, finally:

http://gbatemp.net/t231324-rumor-ign-devs-...o-ps3-360-specs

Basically, though I wouldn't have minded believing what IGN said then, pretty much everything they say should be taken as BS until confirmed by someone else. Even if the MHz alone isn't a good indicator of power, I still say if the Tegra can pack ARM11's (same type as reported here, so comparisons between these two at least, must be valid) at 600-800MHz, perhaps the 3DS should've featured two at around those speeds, instead. Too much, perhaps; but I'd rather see too much overhead than not enough.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
MADKATZ99 said:
BlueStar said:
I'd really hoped we'd moved on from console numberwang once people finally wised up and they stopped going on about consoles being "8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit, 128-bit" etc.

Here's an idea, how about rather than looking at numbers you don't understand and extrapolating them into how good the 3DS will be by comparing them to something irrelevant like the processor you have in your PC we just look at what the actual games are like?
My windows is only 32bit, so technically my nintendo 64 is twice as good?
my computer is 64bit yet it's more powerful than a 360 and ps3 combied but it's only a n64?! i'm confused
coolface.jpg

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't give a shit about what is supposed to be inside it on paper, we've seen screens and footage that show its good enough. Face it before we even saw what the games looked like people were hoping for something near Gamecube quality at best, quit bitching already.

Wouldn't want it to be any better, games should look like games.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
am I the only one to think that this specs are really impressive?
it could be the first portable game-sys with two cpus (dual-core?).

People saying with this specs it can't have ps3 or even wii quality...you could see this on E3, the preview picture didn't look like a ps3, so what? still for sure a good system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE