IGN claims to know 3DS hardware specs

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Fluganox said:
Wasn't one of the features the ability to copy games to the hardware, so you don't need to take cartridges everywhere with you? If there's only 1.5GB of internal memory, and games are up to 2GB, that means Nintendo are screwing us into buying SD Cards >.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Rydian said:
Searinox said:
I must say though... I understand many aspects of single vs dualcore processing power but one fact has always escaped me. How does dual core 266 inside one processor compare to TWO 266 PROCESSORS on the same board?
Computationally worse, because a processor is more than it's core.
It's like a two-headed guy versus two guys. There's some shit you can do with two bodies that you can't do with two heads on one body.

This is a kinda misleading comparison though because 2 processors is actually harder to code for, can see the Sega Saturn for an example of this.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My reaction:

right_thumbs_down.jpg

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sadfaced when I saw that they weren't using a fast[er] processor combination and a rumored 2 Pica 200s. :/ I am just going to ignore IGN and wait for official release/conformation.

EDIT: Clarification.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
If these specs are true, 3DS will have:
  • the same amount of memory as the original Xbox
  • the same amount of VRAM as PS2
  • 3 times more flash memory than Wii
...and you guys still complain ?

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
wolfmanz51 said:
EDIT: ok i decided to add this as many people seem disappointed at the specs but i think they are misunderstood.
Actually a way more readable (and correct >>) way to explain it is something like this...

Older Processors.
The "Intel Pentium 4" 2.26ghz processor scores 288.

Newer Processors.
The "Intel Core 2 Duo P7350" 2.00ghz processor scores 1,318.

So it's 100% possible for a processor with LESS ghz to be better. More ghz does not mean the processor is better in every case. Only when comparing two of the SAME processor.

Ghz is like RPM in cars. It describes how fast it's cycling. How much it does per cycle, however, varies between processor models, like it depends on what gear you're in in a car.

Let's say you have two cars, both in second gear, doing 4000 RPM. One of the cars accelerates up to 6000 RPM, in the same gear. It is now going faster than it was previously.
If the second car kept accelerating to the point that it changed gears and dropped down to 3000 RPM, it would appear to be going slower (if you only compare RPM values), but it's going faster than the first car.

The reason people think that a higher ghz rating means a processor is faster is because of this. If you raise the ghz, the processor will be going aster than it was previously. However, when comparing two different processors, you cannot compare them by just ghz.

That's how processors are. If a processor can do more per cycle, then it can cycle less, while still doing the same amount or, or more work. The advantage of a processor cycling less is that less heat is generated, and less power is used.
thats a really bad example, Because a core 2 duo 2GHz has micro core architecture so it comes out way more powerful than one with Pentium architecture 2.2 GHz not to mention those are x86 processors and we are talking ARM architecture, and the car thing is more confusing imo. perhaps mine is not that readable but is your explanation really that much better?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
wolfmanz51 said:
thats a really bad example, Because a core 2 duo 2GHz has micro core architecture so it comes out way more powerful than one with Pentium architecture 2.2 GHz not to mention those are x86 processors and we are talking ARM architecture, and the car thing is more confusing imo. perhaps mine is not that readable but is your explanation really that much better?

I think you're just confused...

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Edit: actually now that i think about it I technicaly know very little myself but i seem to know more than anyone else around here. so we all should prolly stop worrying i mean
just look at the fucking sweet graphics guys they are FUNKING SWEET.

Edit 2: kylehyde over at 3DS blog had this to say which is important to note:
QUOTE said:
On the GPU, if the specifiactions about the pica 200 in the MIT presentation are true (2008), then this run 40 millions of polygons at 100 MHz, so if the CPU will run at 133 MHz, then it will display 53.2 milloins of polygons, wich is more than the 33 millions that the psp could do.
and thats just the GPU by itself so yeah i think its safe to say tis is much more powerful than a PSP Not that it matters as most others have said its silly to compare them.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing we can all agree on is that when using such lo-res screens, GPU's don't have to work nearly as hard to produce great graphics like HD resolutions require.

I think the 3DS will have some quite impressive graphics that, while they won't be HD, they'll look just as good considering the lo-res screens...and the 3D effect is simply a cool bonus.

But it's still outputting to relatively lo-res screens, so just how much CPU/GPU power do you really need to make it look good and run well?

As for the underclocking thing.....Nintendo did that with the regular DS. The ARM9 in a DSlite is actually capable of 133mhz, but Ninty underclocked it to 66mhz. It not only saves battery life, it also helps the chips live linger by not pushing them too hard. They don't get hot as they run when underclocked....stuff like that.

I'm sure most of the chips in the 3DS will be underclocked, it's the Ninty way.

It really doesn't matter what the 3DS specs are, it's a new Nintendo handheld, it WILL sell many millions and we all know it. I just hope there's a better balance of games on the system this time......a little less kiddie and a little more cool....or badass if you will, you know what I mean? I also hope it doesn't end up flooded with a bunch of FPS games. They have their place, but we don't need TOO many. They need to try and maintain a good balance of genre's so it doesn't slip back into the "kiddie system" category like the DS has.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I just hope there's a better balance of games on the system this time......a little less kiddie and a little more cool....or badass if you will, you know what I mean? I also hope it doesn't end up flooded with a bunch of FPS games. They have their place, but we don't need TOO many. They need to try and maintain a good balance of genre's so it doesn't slip back into the "kiddie system" category like the DS has.

I think that's a bigger problem with the Wii than the DS - the DS has a pretty balanced catalog, in my opinion, and even the "kiddy" games are enjoyable for adults. The good ones, anyway.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The specs certainly sound believable. Although this thread is proof as to why companies are a bit hesitant to reveal specs for their systems, especially prior to launch. "WTF the 3DS only runs as many MHz as a Pentium II! And Nintendo wants to charge how much for this?!"

Personally I blame the marketing push of desktop CPU manufacturers convincing consumers that clock speed is the be-all end-all of processor performance stats (probably had something to do with AMD chips with lower clock speeds outperforming Intels for a while)

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its still good if this is what they have made it of... nintendo systems are usually not THT powerful as rival consoles of the same gen eg. wii and ps3/xbox360 (lol ben 10 vilgax attacks is on wii and PS2... can u believe it? its the same graphically as far as i know)
but ppl like the way what is available is used by nintendo esp on handhelds... ofcourse there could be exceptions like for gamecube and nintendo 64 (if they were better)
considering ppl's opinion on the power of the hardware... they say
4.) Ps1
3.) N64
2.)PS2
1.) GC

if u were to analyze it (not tht i can) u can deduce tht PS1 was sold more than n64 and ps2 much much more than GC (and maybe any other console to date). Hardware doesnt always matter, its the strategy to apply and support it

infact if u go further, the DS outsold the PSP (or rather is outselling, albeit the DS is weaker)... does it mean, the weaker system wins sales? And this is further proven by the wii over the xbox360 over the PS3 (which are inversely in the order of the power they POSSESS).
The only inconsistency obviously seen is between the xbox and GC... by 3 million sales count

You gotta love the facts
Source - Console Wars and Console Sales

i find this thread very informative...

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
pachura said:
If these specs are true, 3DS will have:
  • the same amount of memory as the original Xbox
  • the same amount of VRAM as PS2
  • 3 times more flash memory than Wii
...and you guys still complain ?

Well said. But not only that. The 3DS would also have

* TWO CPUs that EACH have FOUR TIMES the processing power of the original DS' main CPU (ARM9)
* a GPU that has FOUR times the power of the sub CPU of the original DS (ARM7)

...I just want to point out that:

a) You can't compare different CPU architectures solely on MHZ (especially with desktop).
b) It will be enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill