0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NES Toploader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SNES

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. SNES Mini (as in, the smaller SNES, not the Mini console put out by Nintendo)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. N64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gamecube

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  8. Wii

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. Sega Genesis Model 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sega Genesis Model 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Sega Saturn

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  12. Sega Dreamcast

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  13. PlayStation 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. PSOne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. PlayStaton 2 Fat

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  16. PlayStation 2 Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. PlayStation 3 George Foreman Grill

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  18. PlayStation 3 Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. PlayStation 3 Super Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. PlayStation 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. PlayStation 4 Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. PlayStation 4 Pro

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  23. PlayStation 5 (can be either the digital or the disc model)

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  24. Xbox Original

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  25. Xbox 360 Launch

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  26. Xbox 360 Slim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Xbox 360 Slim Model E

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Xbox One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. Xbox One S

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  30. Xbox One X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. Xbox Series X

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  32. Xbox Series S

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. Atari 2600

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  34. Atari 5200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  35. Atari 7800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  36. Atari Jaguar

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  37. Intellivision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  38. Colecovision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  39. Neo-Geo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  40. Panasonic 3DO (any model)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  41. 31 voter(s)
  1. Silent_Gunner

OP Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    You look at eBay for some sale of some old consoles from your youth for parts, and come across a case. You suddenly get an idea to put a full fledged PC inside this case. Not a Raspberry Pi, ODroid XU4/N2, but a regular, desktop class PC. What case do you go for? Plenty of options to choose from! ;)

For me, I want something that is easy to carry around and has a striking visual design for me, personally. With that, I'd have to go with a Dreamcast running a build with the following setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
    CPU Cooler: Whatever will provide clearance, but a Noctua-NH-L9a-AM4 should be a good starting point.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X570 Pro Wi-Fi
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
    Storage: 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD
    PSU: PicoPSU 160W

What kind of PC would you put together? Would you make compromises, or go all out?

zxr750j, alexander1970 and Xzi like this.
  2. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    Virtual Boy! Look like a nerd playing Beat Saber with it.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  3. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    visually, I enjoyed mods of fitting STX systems into gamecubes. realistically, youd target large consoles for extra space, OG xbox would be good for heavy systems. Aesthetically picking up a Series S or One S/X could probably go far

4. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    With my bigass hands there's no way I can work with mini-ATX, let alone use any of these consoles for a case. I think it'd be pretty cool to put a PC inside a Gamecube though, and obviously portability would be no problem with that handle.

PanTheFaun and Silent_Gunner like this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I thought playstation 3 was a super computer that china was using to do something.... years ago. Are consoles not already basically pc systems by now? Or do i need a bunch of cell processors? :ninja:

6. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Perhaps...but can you emulate a Dreamcast with a PS3? N64? Play a version of MUGEN that actually works as opposed to whatever the one weird PainTown port is supposed to be that only gives me a black screen that forces me to restart the system? Let alone other PC games that aren't on PS3.

7. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Snes, it had the best games (really), just one request, doesn't have to be top of the line pc, just make the cardridge slot still function for snes games and i mean all snes games, even the unlicenced cardridges. would be nice with HDMI, bluetooth and wifi support, and or a great FullHD hacked snes emulator, or good easy borders for the snes support to fill all the black bars.
    and of course retroachivements.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    I guess not, but we talking about taking a pc apart and putting it into a game console shell/case? Cause I think the biggest console would probably make the most sense... Original xbox maybe.

PS3 seem like a good media server. It has blu-ray already to play HD video, and being able to dump video or audio cd. Just need to build a good video player like VLC or MPC HC capable of playing every single format ever. With a big enough HDD, can even share over LAN, or chromecast. :unsure:

9. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah ps3s were used as server farms when they were allowed to sideload linux till sony took that capability away. Modern consoles are very close to modern computers, but the actual hardware still has a few specialized hardware functions PCs don't natively have (e.g specialized I/O controller integrated thought the entire design of the PS5 for example)

10. Silent_Gunner

United States
    Yeah, "big enough HDD" is gonna cap at 1TB unless you have the one internal 2.5" HDD that apparently works with the PS3. Otherwise, the PS3 will be like, "this HDD isn't compatible because Ken Kutaragi wants to be weird."

But for me, the smaller, the better. Based on what I've seen from the Ryzen CPUs, they make for great mini PC's to take to move around if necessary, or for projects like what I've thought about doing out of boredom while working at my current job that allows me to spend time browsing the Internet when I get a moment or two of downtime.

11. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Oh right. I remember that ps3 was able to install another os on it. But I never heard anything that actually made it worthy of discussing way back when besides being used for hacking. That's almost as crazy as the dreamcast supposed to feature windows os on it or something... Those was crazy times back then.

To think that our gaming console machines would be turned into PC for working on. But this is Japan we talking about. Let's not forget the wild things they tried to do with accessories like turning your game gear into a TV TUNER. :ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Apr 11, 2021
  12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi: Not a girl nor a boy

Antarctica
    I don't see enough PC's in Dreamcasts and I feel like that needs to change!

XAIXER and Silent_Gunner like this.
  13. Silent_Gunner

United States
    The thing about Windows CE on the DC was just that it allowed for some games (looks at the Resident Evil 2 port to DC) to be ported using Windows libraries made to use Windows libraries and the like. It's why the aforementioned RE2 port to DC has a lot of similarities to one of its PC ports with the control menu having the full 3D model that provides a visual for what action is being mapped to, say, the X button, or the A button, stuff like that.

14. TastifulBurger

Newcomer

United States
    The Xbox 360 makes an ideal tower PC.
    [​IMG]

15. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    But no one will ever suspect my ps3 grill of being a game console or super computer. :ninja:

[​IMG]

16. Latiodile

Latiodile Professionally dead inside

Canada
    i managed to make my own console out of a micro atx case, it just needs a competent console-like UI, and steam big picture mode/playnite don't work well for my use cases, playnite just lags the hell out because of my massive library
    it's the size of like 6 xbox ones stacked together but it's powerful enough and low profile enough to fit on a shelf under a tv

it may seem huge compared to an actual console, but it was actually genuinely hard to pack so much power in that box, especially since i opted in for an intel core i7 and a full height graphics card, totalling a minimum of a 500w power supply

[​IMG]

but if i had to pick an actual console to build in, i'd say an original xbox or an xbox one, both are big enough to accomodate for a micro atx motherboard at the least and it's been done before either way

Last edited by Latiodile, Apr 11, 2021
  17. Silent_Gunner

United States
    What case is that? You could've got a mini ITX case and still been able to put a good Noctua cooler in there *looks at my Lian-Li TU150* or even the Fractal Node 202 if you wanted an Xbox One VCR that had a reason to be as big as it was.

18. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

From a practical standpoint, the VCR/CDI Xbone could possibly be the best case I can think of since it offers quite a bit of room, ventilation and possibly big enough to even fit a small form factor PSU inside if a pico is not enough.

From a **** and giggles standpoint, not sure. I’d want something relatively portable with an LCD display attached to it so either something like the PS2/360 or something like the Wii.

Edit:

I actually got my dad this last Xmas combined some parts lying around to make a system:
    https://myretrocomputer.com/product/my64/

Last edited by tech3475, Apr 11, 2021
  19. Latiodile

Latiodile Professionally dead inside

Canada
    it's a silverstone sg11b

i had too much hardware i needed to pack in to be able to be able to just go itx, especially since itx socket 1150 motherboards are ridiculously rare, even finding a decent spare micro atx board was super hard to find, since most of what was available just had either 4 pin cpu power, a terrible heatsinkless VRM, only 2 ram slots, or all of the above.
    and the graphics card being a sapphire pulse rx 580 would also make it hard to find a lower profile case because of how tall it is

it actually has a bequiet shadow rock LP, which was the lowest profile cooler i could find that would fit in the case, that would be able to handle the TDP for the i7 i used, and even then i had to modify the case to add an extra exhaust fan for extra cooling

edit: here's some pics to show how tight some of the tolerances were even in this case. i had a size comparison pic with it sitting on top of a 17" laptop but i misplaced it somewhere
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by Latiodile, Apr 11, 2021
  20. alexander1970

alexander1970 DELETED USER

Austria
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - console, console, inside