Weekend Discussion: What would you do if games only released in a digital format?

physicalgaem4eva.png

Chances are, if you're a fan of video games, you've more than likely gone to a store to pick up the latest hot fall game release. If not, then you likely have purchased a game online and had it shipped to your door. From the older cardboard boxes housing bulky game carts, to the plastic cases that hold thin game discs, we've seen multiple forms of video games throughout the years. While the form of its delivery has changed, what hasn't changed is the fact that if you want to play a game, you need to get a cart or disc.

That is, unless you buy digitally.

The advent of digital games has changed the entire industry. The previous console gaming generation introduced the idea of being able to download older retro titles, or even smaller indie-developed games by simply connecting to the internet and paying through a digital storefront. Shortly after that, we began to see fully fledged major releases on both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, and later, the Nintendo eShop. During those years, there was a heavy push for being able to have your library of games be playable without even getting up to change the disc. Not everyone was willing to take that step, however, with a large portion of players preferring their beloved boxes. PC gamers might be more at-home with being invested in a digital only library--they're familiar with forgoing physical releases. If you play only on a computer, there's a chance that you may not even own a single hard copy of a game.

To counter the rise of the "digital age", many people were outspoken about only supporting physical releases. This led to small publishers like Limited Run Games becoming incredibly popular, and providing fans with official boxed copies of smaller titles that wouldn't normally be put on such a format.

Even if you do purchase a physical game these days, you might find yourself forced to download it to your system anyway, and in the Nintendo Switch's case, sometimes the full game doesn't even fit on the game cart itself. SD flash storage and HDD prices are falling more and more with each passing year, and it makes going all in on digital gaming a more appealing option. Especially in regards to the Switch, because while it is considered a home console, it also has a portable function, and having to carry multiple cartridges on the go alongside it can be considered cumbersome.

Though a full-digital future isn't imminent--the chances of the next generation of PlayStation and Xbox ditching discs entirely is unlikely--it appears that the industry is certainly trying to move towards that goal. Representatives and analysts from influential companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision all believe that in the next decade, physical games will be a thing of the past. More niche games have even managed to make their way stateside purely on fact that a digital-only version would be much more financially viable, compared to having to release it on store shelves.

What are your thoughts? Have you already made the jump to a digital world? Or are you a collector, and the thought of not being able to buy a physical copy of your favorite games pains you? If such a future time comes and you're forced to play digital-only, will you be okay with that? Let us know in the comments below!

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Not much really, I do most of my pc gaming digitally. However, I do collect physical games, there's a different thing in having printed artwork for you to look at (not mentioning that services do end so physical is always better for archival)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would just continue playing games. It's not digital games I'm worried about, I can save digital games on my drive and keep them in perpetuity. It's the "games as a service" model that fills me with dread because it goes against the principles of software preservation - once the service goes down, the games go down with it. That's the future that we need to rally against, downloading games is not a big deal. You can put a digital code in a nice jewel case if you want to, it makes no difference to me, the delivery mechanism is irrelevant, it's the ability to keep the software that matters to me.

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would only play on PC then
And the only way I would be even interested in console games at that point if consoles became more like XBox a service as a opposed to a locked box with a set way for me to play my games.

I mean personally I hope that more consoles take the Xbox route in the future where you got a game that is crossbuy between your PC and your console. So you aren't locked into your console way of playing. If Microsoft next-gen expands it to all games it could be huge.

Then the consoles could be for those that want convenience and if that's not enough well then market forces will cause the consoles to die but I don't think that will happen.

I mean who knows maybe in the near future we could end console exclusivity and consoles could be more of a service
You get the best box with the best service any game works on it.

More games being digital only thus not have to worry about disk space and games could end up being more profitable thus allowing for developers to take more risk.

Last edited by spiderman1216,

AT-LOWDeSu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this isn't what I would do personally, but what I think the industry should do. We could have 'Download Stations' in various gameshops. Maybe the gameshop focuses more on selling consoles and digital codes rather than physical games-- and when you purchase a digital code, you could use their 'download station' to transfer the game over to your portable console. For home consoles, we could basically have 'one time usage' install files that are kept on USB's or something similar. Perhaps we could all be expected to bring our own USB flash drive and take the install file from the terminal in the store.

Who knows, but I think we could get around the whole 'download speed' thing. For example, we sell microsoft office on a flashdrive at best buy, so i'm sure we could sell games the same way.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wouldn't care. I prefer digital stuff anway.
That goes for
• games: they are on one HDD or SD (different per system) so no disc/cartridge swapping needed
• books: I have an ebook reader which is much better than having countless thick books plus I can read in the dark (bed) without the need of extra lamps
• movies: having a nice collection which is on my NAS and can be used from every device in my house without the need of Blurays/DVDs at the specific device I want to watch on
• TV shows: see above
• comics: have them on my NAS/OwnCloud and can access them from PC, Android tablet, Smartphone, Fire TV and ebook reader
• music: big well tagged and sorted collection on my NAS which is also synced to Google Play Music so I have it everywhere
• audio books: see above

The only physical things I really care about are vinyls. Although I have my big music library digitally I love listening to specific albums/singles on my record player.
Since the environment is also close to my heart, I hope the shift towards digitisation will continue.

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
IMO the best solution would be to limit the amount of physical cartridges for collectors, and put sales at affordable price on everything else digital, just like Steam does. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1