Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
sightlight said:
the cyclops runs on DSi mode on the 3ds?
nope, on the 3DS, iEVO's DSi mode does not work
Source?

It was announced before that the iEvo didn't work in DSi mode on the JAPANESE 3DS because they didn't have a JAPANESE bootloader. The bootloader mimics a game, and since DSi games are region locked, the US bootloader won't work on a system that is not a US model.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a dick, but I hope the exploit is patched. If Nintendo can't even patch that for the 3DS, there's no way they could claim to have the best anti-piracy.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Not to be a dick, but I hope the exploit is patched. If Nintendo can't even patch that for the 3DS, there's no way they could claim to have the best anti-piracy.
Here's the short version...
[*]They can't increase DS security.[*]So far DSi security has just been the same thing as on the DSi, where a change of header spoofing bypasses it since keeping all the info for all games in the DSi to check would take up too much space.[*]3DS security, nobody has a clue on, and it can be completely different than DS/i security.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
TehSkull said:
Here's the short version...
[*]They can't increase DS security.[*]So far DSi security has just been the same thing as on the DSi, where a change of header spoofing bypasses it since keeping all the info for all games in the DSi to check would take up too much space.[*]3DS security, nobody has a clue on, and it can be completely different than DS/i security.
You failed to mention the Cooking Coach exploit which is the exploit to which I was referring. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is capable of fixing that exploit on the 3DS. At least, it's more likely than them fixing DS-mode exploits.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Rydian said:
[*]They can't increase DS security.

Don't the current DS mode cart that work on the DSi work by spoofing a real game for awhile, until it's time to load, then pass the cart menu instead of the game? Surely Nintendo could easily patch this by checking the data a second time, once it is in RAM? Then if the RAM contents don't match the cart's reported contents, then just don't execute.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thats what i thought they could do too

and its not hard to block dsi mode since there is what, only 3 or 4 games that could use it
just adding extra checks to those games would end dsi mode possiblility

and the 3ds mode has only a 1% chance of being hacked and staying hacked unless someone can do cfw and still have 3ds games run

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
You failed to mention the Cooking Coach exploit which is the exploit to which I was referring. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is capable of fixing that exploit on the 3DS. At least, it's more likely than them fixing DS-mode exploits.I'm referring to getting unsigned things to run on the system.

QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Mar 13 2011, 02:11 PM) Don't the current DS mode cart that work on the DSi work by spoofing a real game for awhile, until it's time to load, then pass the cart menu instead of the game? Surely Nintendo could easily patch this by checking the data a second time, once it is in RAM? Then if the RAM contents don't match the cart's reported contents, then just don't execute.
Yes, and this is what they do when a flash cart is blocked with an update.

They don't add to checks to every game (just known ones faked by flash carts) because of size constraints.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
TehSkull said:
You failed to mention the Cooking Coach exploit which is the exploit to which I was referring. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is capable of fixing that exploit on the 3DS. At least, it's more likely than them fixing DS-mode exploits.
I'm referring to getting unsigned things to run on the system.
And how is the Cooking Coach exploit, the very basis of how the iEvo gets into DSi mode, not a method of running unsigned code?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Rydian said:
TehSkull said:
You failed to mention the Cooking Coach exploit which is the exploit to which I was referring. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is capable of fixing that exploit on the 3DS. At least, it's more likely than them fixing DS-mode exploits.I'm referring to getting unsigned things to run on the system.

QUOTE(spinal_cord @ Mar 13 2011, 02:11 PM) Don't the current DS mode cart that work on the DSi work by spoofing a real game for awhile, until it's time to load, then pass the cart menu instead of the game? Surely Nintendo could easily patch this by checking the data a second time, once it is in RAM? Then if the RAM contents don't match the cart's reported contents, then just don't execute.
Yes, and this is what they do when a flash cart is blocked with an update.

They don't add to checks to every game (just known ones faked by flash carts) because of size constraints.

Why would there be size constraints, just checking if what is in RAM is the same as what is on the cart wouldn't take extra space for each game as it would be the same process.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think that could be exploited though to

if it was only that, then we would have the header say it was a dstwo and the cart would work

even then, it could make some check but heres another problem
what in the ram is supposed to tell it is a certain game if nothing specific is in the ram for a game
they cant change the loaded ram so they must list the snippits to find in the ram

otherwise, if it just went off of text for the title in the ram, that can be simulated by a cart like the dstwo
it doesnt make sence for ram checks that were not designed in
3ds is different and can be so

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hi