Homebrew [Idea] Nintendon't on 3DS (DS/DSi/GBA loader on 3DS mode)

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extremely unlikely to happen, DS, DSi and GBA are all hardwired to certain registers and addresses that aren't normally mapped under ARM11. You'd have to do some really funky memory mapping to get it to *maybe* virtualize, but even then it's super unlikely to work. Plus there's the whole ARM7/ARM9 deal that DS and DSi has to deal with.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extremely unlikely to happen, DS, DSi and GBA are all hardwired to certain registers and addresses that aren't normally mapped under ARM11. You'd have to do some really funky memory mapping to get it to *maybe* virtualize, but even then it's super unlikely to work. Plus there's the whole ARM7/ARM9 deal that DS and DSi has to deal with.
Well hey, if you set your mind to it, anything is doable. Gamecube on Wii U. ROM hacks and rom dumps in userland (and all the other nhax 2.5 stuff) The potential 10.3 kernel that's been shown off.

You never know what limitations can be broken and used, in any situations. Someone may find some way to run DS games on 3DS, for instance. You never know!

Vorpal Blade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hey, if you set your mind to it, anything is doable. Gamecube on Wii U. ROM hacks and rom dumps in userland (and all the other nhax 2.5 stuff) The potential 10.3 kernel that's been shown off.

You never know what limitations can be broken and used, in any situations. Someone may find some way to run DS games on 3DS, for instance. You never know!
I like your attitude mate. I certainly believe.

On a side note, is "nintendont" the buzzword for native loaders? I just always associated it with gamecube backups on the wii.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
That's not what Nintendont is, it's more like a bridge between an emulator and a virtual machine which runs Gamecube games natively.
The Wii U has no MIOS(Gamecube Mode) but it can use Nintendont, so it wouldn't require TWL_FIRM or AGB_FIRM.
That is not how it works, it is basically a hypervisor; no emulation at all. It just takes all of the hardware stuff and creates an abstraction layer that allows the gamecube games to run on the Wii/vWii.

WPA2, Widescreen, cheats, languages and MAAAAAAYBEEE 3D support.

Software limitations, software and hardware limitations, sure, what, hardware and software limitations.

Thanks for understanding this stuff, I always like seeing you around.

I like your attitude mate. I certainly believe.

On a side note, is "nintendont" the buzzword for native loaders? I just always associated it with gamecube backups on the wii.

Nah, just the best method of doing it.

Reactions: The9thBit

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i'm not mistaken, during the c3 talk, they said that all the BC stuff was held within the ARM9/ARM11 shared IO instead of just ARM9. If that's the case, after memchunkhax is properly working, that would give them a door (albeit probably locked up with a few chains) to the shared IO, and would give them a chance to work out some stuff to allow native support for at least retail carts, but i wouldn't hold my breathe about ROMs/emulation.

D

Deleted User

This is a complete no from me - for now, anyway.

We can already patch AGB_FIRM and convert GBA games into Virtual Console CIAs, so GBA can be checked off the list.
As for DS/DSi, it will happen. But we need to examine the BC functions more, so we can achieve a full-speed emulation.

loco365

Trophies
XP

You're saying this to someone that's ported a GBA emulator to the 3DS.

While it may be powerful enough, the most likely way to get this working is to find a way to override the DSiWare method of running software, because it's the closest thing to native. I doubt that'll happen any time soon though.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for clarification, getting any of this stuff to run virtualized on ARM11 won't happen. However, AGB_FIRM totally has the potential to load ROMs from SD/elsewhere, since it buffers them in RAM. TWL_FIRM I don't think has that luxury, since it either reads things from cart registers or NAND, and their NAND partition is already too small. Plus there's the issue with save chips being actual hardware contacted through cart IO so that would need fixing too.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just for clarification, getting any of this stuff to run virtualized on ARM11 won't happen. However, AGB_FIRM totally has the potential to load ROMs from SD/elsewhere, since it buffers them in RAM. TWL_FIRM I don't think has that luxury, since it either reads things from cart registers or NAND, and their NAND partition is already too small. Plus there's the issue with save chips being actual hardware contacted through cart IO so that would need fixing too.
You could probably buffer a rom up to 120mb in the 3ds fcram and feed it through via modded cart commands. (faking cart commands could be done by patching the commands in the game's code to set the cart command then wait until the first 32bits is different (response). It'd be pretty fast.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WPA2 would actually be great, combined with Wiimmfi. If someone makes this, that'd be amazing.
Are you guys talking about something like when the servers for 3ds shut down you patch 3ds games to work for wiimmfi like with regular ds games? And if so how would that work with .cia games.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you guys talking about something like when the servers for 3ds shut down you patch 3ds games to work for wiimmfi like with regular ds games? And if so how would that work with .cia games.
No, I said if a potential DS backup loader worked with WPA2 connections (as DS games only worked with WEP) that combined with the existing Wiimmfi patches would be amazing.

Reactions: cvskid

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if this was done, I don't see what advantages it would have over a flashcart, other than cheats and possibly loading them from the 3DS's SD card. Maybe a crappy widescreen mode where it just stretches the image? Otherwise, the 3DS (at least the o3DS) just doesn't have the resources to do much with it. On the N3DS, maybe if someone spent way too much time coding, could do a bit more. Maybe emulate a virtual network to allow older DS games to connect using a newer connection? That's a long shot, though, and I doubt someone will be that insane unless a better 3DS comes out with no cartridge slot (which I doubt will happen).

Even on the N3DS, I doubt a proper Widescreen mode would be possible, at least on most games. Maybe something like MPH or MKDS could have a widescreen mode. Still, that would be some crazy level of coding to be able to utilize the 3DS's extra resources for DS games without just ending up with an inferior emulator.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don´t know the point of GBA emulators on 3DS when the 3DS can handle GBA games natively.
you can't use AGB_FIRM for GBA games in this way unless
  • you own the 10 ambassador games (i.e. bought the system before its price drop in 2011)
  • use a signature patcher to read any game you give it, which requires kernel
loading DS games and GBA games aren't really the same here...

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you can't use AGB_FIRM for GBA games in this way unless
  • you own the 10 ambassador games (i.e. bought the system before its price drop in 2011)
  • use a signature patcher to read any game you give it, which requires kernel
loading DS games and GBA games aren't really the same here...
I know that the both systems have diferent "FIRMs", but Whats the problem of making a GBA loader that can run GBA games natively and with more features than VC?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that the both systems have diferent "FIRMs", but Whats the problem of making a GBA loader that can run GBA games natively and with more features than VC?
um...the only way to natively run GBA games is by using AGB_FIRM. outside of that you've got emulators. even Nintendo tried to do it and failed, which probably explains the existence of AGB_FIRM for ambassador games.

keep in mind the ambassador GBA games don't have any special features like save states.

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
um...the only way to natively run GBA games is by using AGB_FIRM. outside of that you've got emulators. even Nintendo tried to do it and failed, which probably explains the existence of AGB_FIRM for ambassador games.

keep in mind the ambassador GBA games don't have any special features like save states.
Well, Nintendon't does (not savestates, but yes new features).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: rofl