Gaming I want to label my backup disks so they look like the originals...

MagicDrumSticks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any recommendations? I'm using just regular Verbatim 16X disks but I hate writing on them with sharpies, I want pretty! lol

I have an hp all in one printer (no cd feature though) any good cheap recommendations?

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know the quality of DVD/CD printouts doesn't differ much from one printer to another, the only difference I can see from one type of printer and another would be in terms of the cost of replacement ink. I personally use a Canon ip4300 for mine and get my covers from here. The covers from Console Covers look better than the real thing imo, I also buy white DVD cases too. Quite difficult to tell the copies from originals lol
laugh.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen disc labeling kits in stores like Best Buy that let you use your printer to print a custom label onto this special sticky-backed paper that came with the kit and then stick it on the disk. I don't know if it has any software with it for the template to create the artwork or anything though. I've never used them before, so I don't know too much about them, but I do know they exist. The one I saw had some sort of contraption in the kit that assured you put the label on the disk uniformly after you created one. It's hard to say whether a loading system like the Wii has would tolerate the extra thickness of the label on the disk, but I doubt it would be much of a problem. Maybe you could look into that.

Also, there are CD/DVD drives with something called "LightScribe technology" in them that will print a label on the disk, but they only print in black and white and require special lightscribe compatible disks to work. The software for it should come with the drives that have the Lightscribe feature. The special Lightscribe disks are more expensive than regular ones too. We actually have a couple drives like that here, but we've never used that feature simply because of the expense of the disks required for it to work, so I don't know how good it is. I think the cost of the disks makes the feature sort of useless myself.

Personally, I just use the good old Sharpie myself and never think twice about it. But you know, that's just me.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Writing on DVDs with a pen may be as cheap as chips but they'll never look as good as this
biggrin.gif

Worth buying a new printer for imo...I've got 3 and a half shelves full of Wii games in white DVD cases and custom covers, and they look great.
smile.gif

MagicDrumSticks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I've seen disc labeling kits in stores like Best Buy that let you use your printer to print a custom label onto this special sticky-backed paper that came with the kit and then stick it on the disk. I don't know if it has any software with it for the template to create the artwork or anything though. I've never used them before, so I don't know too much about them, but I do know they exist. The one I saw had some sort of contraption in the kit that assured you put the label on the disk uniformly after you created one. It's hard to say whether a loading system like the Wii has would tolerate the extra thickness of the label on the disk, but I doubt it would be much of a problem. Maybe you could look into that.

Also, there are CD/DVD drives with something called "LightScribe technology" in them that will print a label on the disk, but they only print in black and white and require special lightscribe compatible disks to work. The software for it should come with the drives that have the Lightscribe feature. The special Lightscribe disks are more expensive than regular ones too. We actually have a couple drives like that here, but we've never used that feature simply because of the expense of the disks required for it to work, so I don't know how good it is. I think the cost of the disks makes the feature sort of useless myself.

Personally, I just use the good old Sharpie myself and never think twice about it. But you know, that's just me.

Meh, I prefer some life in my disks lol Plus my sister's hot friends always say my handwriting sucks
frown.gif

payupsucker said:
MagicDrumSticks said:
Any recommendations? I'm using just regular Verbatim 16X disks but I hate writing on them with sharpies, I want pretty! lol

I have an hp all in one printer (no cd feature though) any good cheap recommendations?

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/DiscPainter/default.html

"Cheap" is sharpies!

Yeah I saw that one, pretty cool but if I started a disk selling business or something I could get that. Though in that case I'd have bigger matters to worry about
laugh.gif

QUOTE(bytor @ Jun 1 2009, 12:50 PM)
Writing on DVDs with a pen may be as cheap as chips but they'll never look as good as this
biggrin.gif

Worth buying a new printer for imo...I've got 3 and a half shelves full of Wii games in white DVD cases and custom covers, and they look great.
smile.gif

Amen!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I suggest you do not attach labels to drive as it can introduce wobble at best and at worst it can clog your drive and cause other problems if they fail nastily (this is especially bad for slot loading and otherwise high speed drives which would be your wii and PC respectively).

My opinion of litescribe is the same as Rayder's although having tried it once or twice it feels like one of the first cheap laser printers (bad for anything but text).

Proper printers I lack to experience to pass judgement on although there is probably a reason they are not widespread.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thermal printers will write over your cds, it's kind of a sticker you paste over it OR
hp sells some dvds with a paperlike texture on top of them so you can print them out with (some) of their hp printers, google if you can use yours.

verbatims sells these special dvds that support a feature called lightscribe that etches a bitmap on top of your dvdr using the dvdrom laser. It looks pretty professional, but the dvdr made for it are twice as expensive, but that's what I used when doing homeworks, everyone was amazed how I used to put my face and the college logo on the actual dvd. actually they look like the pikmin dvds and the windows original dvds,

I recommend the last one just check if your dvdrom supports it. good luck

Ultratech87

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lightscribe does work pretty good. Only problem is that the program I use to burn doesn't like to do the burning right. However, I got some good looking discs for my PS1 backups. As mentioned though, the discs are more expensive...

Even then, it's not in color (or always that pretty looking), so do whatever.

DLOGAN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My dad had a thing for this, you get the label template from one of many cd-cover sites and print the label, then you peel off the cd cover and put it on a sort of spindel (just like you buy your DVDs on) and put the cd on it and press it down firmly, dabbing around the full disc area.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too each their own, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I wouldn't do this if I was you. When I first started out on the "scene" I use to make nice covers, Get DVD Cases, get the art and so on.

There are a couple of problems with this though:
1- Pychical House Space runs out very quickly. Next thing you know, you have a huge library of Disk that looks like shit.

2- It takes a bit of time to print the Case Cover, then the DVD cover. Then cut the cover to fit the case, and to stick the sticker just right on the DVD. It's like 10 Minutes in total with print time. Honestly, that is not horrible, but you do that for 6 games, you just wasted 1 hour of your life. Do that for 144 games, thats a day of your life. Just making labels. You have better things to do.

3- Eventually the stickers peel (unless you buy the $400+ printer that prints directly on your disk). This will cause the wobble effect which FAST mentioned above. This will cause your drive to have read errors, and to eventually fail.

I think Hard Drives are the way to go. USB Loaders are really the way to go on the Wii. With Movies, XBMC is hands down the way to go. You still have all the cool cover art and so much more, all at your finger tips with out any of the problems listed above.

Your choice though.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Buggering flip, what sort of printer are you getting for $400?!?
laugh.gif

In the UK a printer that'll print straight on DVDs won't set you back much more than £50 if you shop around.

It all depends on what you want really. I personally like my 3 and a half shelves full of games in white DVD cases, they look great - better than the real thing in fact. And it only takes a couple of minutes to print my DVDs and labels and cut the labels to fit the cases.
smile.gif

I might go for the USB Loader if my DVD drive goes tits up but for now will stick to doing things the old fashioned way lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol