Hacking I need help playing backup's on Wii 4.2u...

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: I forgot to mention that my Wii is 4.2

I just got my Wii back from Nintendo, they send me a new Wii. I got homebrew back, now I am trying to play backup games again, so I found this guide on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7PczzuFA4

I was just about to follow this guide, but then I read the bottom of the description

""""""""If your wii was bought brand new (it will have a serial number higher than LU72) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS. Nintendo have started using new processors and only wiis bought before october/november 09 will work. If you have had any problems and your wii is brand new, STOP WATCHING THIS VIDEO NOW AND WALK AWAY WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A WORKING WII!!
The ones above LU72 also have different disc drives that have trouble reading DVD-rs but may load off a USB""""""

My serial number is LU36624353

I just want to make sure I don't brick my Wii before I follow this guide. I send my Wii about a week ago when the laser died, It was 3.2. when I send it in I guess they just simply send me a new Wii. So I don't know if I can follow this guide and not have a brick Wii. Help me out here

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're safe to softmod regardless of serial numbers. However, newer Wiis (usually identified by serial numbers of LU56 or later, although this is not the exact method of determining what hardware you have) have a couple of additional characteristics that limit softmodding:

* New drives won't read DVD's unless chipped.
This means no DVDx, no cIOSCORP. USB loaders and any other homebrew will still work.

* New Wiis have an updated boot1 firmware that prevents the modification of boot2
...meaning you can't install bootmii except as an IOS. This makes modding these Wiis slightly more risky since they're not brickproof, but as long as you follow guide instructions carefully you should be safe.

* IOSes cannot be directly overwritten by older versions
This trumps many of the "downgrade" apps that were previously used to enable homebrew and backup loading. This can be worked around using stuff like AnyTitleDeleter and Trucha Bug Restorer. Most modern softmodding guides use newer apps and instructions that will work on these Wiis anyway.

Rather than follow some sketchy outdated YouTube video, you should consult the Simplistic Mod and Complete Softmod Guide as up-to-date, compatible softmodding guides. Everything in these guides is written for any Wii.

Given your Wii's serial, you PROBABLY have an older, more-easily-hackable Wii. The easiest way to test is to run the HackMii Installer (used to install the Homebrew Channel and Bootmii) and see if BootMii boot2 can be installed.

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having problems here. Ok, I can only get bootmii as an IOS. So I tried following the guide but I got stuck on the part where I was suppose to unistall
IOS 249 but I get this error when I try to unistall it

Deleting Tickets-ERROR! (ret= -4100)
Deleting title contents-ERROR! (ret= -1006)
Deleting title-ERROR! (ret= -1006)

I think the last 2 was 1006 I don't really remember, -_-

so then I tried following another guide

http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183173

and again I get stuck!! I get to the point where I am again suppose to unistall these IOS but this time, when its trying to retrieve the files I get this error

Retrieving fie list............ERROR! (Ret = 1)

I am really starting to lose hope here. I can't get very far at all! Why am I having so much trouble? =( do you think Nintendo did something to the Wii they send me or what??? Im so confused!!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Aaron20b said:
So I tried following the guide but I got stuck on the part where I was suppose to unistall
"The Guide" is what guide? (It can be the youtube vid, or one of the 2 Szalkow linked)
Also, what did you use to try to uninstall IOS249
If you're not on 4.2 you don't even need to do that btw

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I am on 4.2!!

ok, I am on THIS guide right now
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183173

This is where I can't get past because I get an error

""""Choose the SD Slot and press A on each IOS, then press left or right to uninstall the 4 IOS available: 222, 223, 249, 250""""

When I press A after choosing the SD Slot. It just gives me this error

Retrieving fie list............ERROR! (Ret = 1)

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, nevermind, I had the files in the wrong spot and I can select the IOS in the wads, but when I try to uninstall it gives me this error still =(

Deleting title contents-ERROR! (ret= -106)
Deleting title-ERROR! (ret= -106)

what does that mean??

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aaron20b said:
ok, nevermind, I had the files in the wrong spot and I can select the IOS in the wads, but when I try to uninstall it gives me this error still =(

Deleting title contents-ERROR! (ret= -106)
Deleting title-ERROR! (ret= -106)

what does that mean??
You skipped a step.

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, if I cannot complete step 2 and it gives me an error, why would I continue to step 3 if step 2 is not complete? I may end up breaking my Wii

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Restoring the Trucha Bug? that is not even in the guide I linked. and what is that anyway?

Posts merged

Dude, that is on the 4.1 and under guide! I am on 4.2u!

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DUDE just fucking do it and get over it. Everyone else can do it why cant you? If people followed the guide they wouldnt have any problems, but for some reason YOU do, maybe the problem is YOU ever think about that

I swear how much more plainly can you say modify ANY wii

oh any wii except this guys of course., might as well pack it up and take it back to wal mart

Aaron20b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh because I am on 4.2u and I don't know if my Wii has the new processor or not since I just got it send by Nintendo only a few days ago

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
is it a goddamn wii?

well guess what.
you can modify ANY goddamn wii
follow the guide stickied at the top of the forum and your problem will be solved, unless u skip steps like u did before, try it again. Is it a goddamn Wii?? then youll be able to modify it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.