Hardware I Just Can't "Get Down" with the Switch

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Am I the only one here feeling that the Switch is highway robbery? If it's as powerful as the first gen Xbox One then the blow isn't that bad but when the first few games are

- Skyrim (a game most people already have
- Splatoon (a updated Wii U version)
- Mario Kart ( also a updated Wii U game)
- Zelda (most likely better on Wii U)
- new mario (probably a saving grace but it's gonna be hard to top galaxy)

It's really hard to sell me on this console when you're trying to get me to buy the same damn games I just purchased less than four years ago. Screw the slight updates to Mario Kart and Splatoon. I can bet you these will be the same damn Wii U games. This is highway robbery and people are just sucking this up.

I haven't even got into the fact that the dock is useless without the damn tab. To me the console is a FAMILY experience. The fact that one person can just hijack the damn tablet just doesn't make the Switch feel like a console. Add in the rumor that Nintendo doesn't plan to support digital games on this thing (in regards to external hard drives), what's the damn point?

People say that the Wii was just a rebrand of the GameCube but it did have a graphics bump. Thing is at least the Wii had things that made the transition easy and it just didn't feel like GameCube 2.0. There was WiFi, online gaming, a web browser, streaming video apps, weather and news apps, motion controls, multiple styles of control, lots of things that made Wii feel different than GameCube.

What makes Switch different than Wii U???? If anything, aside from graphics, the damn thing feels like a downgrade from Wii U. Sorry but it feels like Nintendo is saying: "we fucked up but here's a new Wii U with a swapping gimmick".
You have a point there. I'm not going to buy Skyrim, Splatoon 1.2, Zelda:BotW NS edition but Mario Kart 8.2 and the new Mario 3D? Definitely.

For me it'll come down if the RRP price of NS is reasonable or not, otherwise I'll get it months later.

By the way, Nintendo will probably poop out another New Super Mario Bros. *ugh*

Reactions: Xiphiidae

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good idea but what about costs? Nintendo likes saving yen, above all else. They have used their tight hardware ways as a weapon against more advanced competitors for decades, hoping that the public buys into their 'different ways'. Sometimes it has worked, sometimes not.

Also, the more complexity you add, the more chance of having less security. Another reason to keep things simple as possible.

Well OnLive micro consoles were so cheap that they were giving them away. Heck, I'd imagine that the 7 dollar version of the Raspberry Pi could handle a 720p stream of a Switch game. Cloud gaming on the dock wouldn't be the main form of gaming, just an extra for users left behind when a player takes the tablet. I'd play an extra 20-30 for a dock with that feature.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well OnLive micro consoles were so cheap that they were giving them away. Heck, I'd imagine that the 7 dollar version of the Raspberry Pi could handle a 720p stream of a Switch game. Cloud gaming on the dock wouldn't be the main form of gaming, just an extra for users left behind when a player takes the tablet. I'd play an extra 20-30 for a dock with that feature.
Have you seen Nintendo's online infrastructure? You really expect them to be able to host cloud games and not completely botch it? Besides, it would be very expensive for Nintendo to set up and it would be very underutilized.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country

OnLive is dead as a company today.

And that's just from focusing on just the one thing. Even little costs add up to millions of dollars (even billions) over the life sales of a console. And little additions add to the development time and are open to more possible legal / patent / console security risks / firmware maintenance issues.

I have my doubts that millions of users would want this. Possibly only a niche would be into it, especially if it cost more. And by doing it in a standard console Nintendo could easily be losing millions. I think they would definitely be less profitable than they'd like against their competitors. Nintendo seem very content with (far) cheaper hardware compared to Sony and Microsoft. Sometimes it works for them and sometimes it backfires.

I have zero doubt that the dock will remain pretty 'dumb' because of Nintendo's desire for cheap hardware.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you seen Nintendo's online infrastructure? You really expect them to be able to host cloud games and not completely botch it? Besides, it would be very expensive for Nintendo to set up and it would be very underutilized.

I find it ironic that you say this when most of the Nvidia+Nintendo fans are hype because Nvidia has proven, game streaming technologies that are used in conjunction with mobile hardware. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has thought of this as well.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I understand your concern's for the Switch, but just wait and see. To me personally, I feel the Switch is Nintendo Current gen replacements. The Wii U is doing bad, and the 3DS is ehh (Not Sale wise) I haven't really seen Ninty utilize the Hardware for the N3DS ever since it came out, I know it's a few exclusive titles, but a few isn't very satisfying is it?

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I mean, if one person needs to take the Switch and thus leave the family high and dry then wouldn't it at least be an idea to keep a second "tablet only" one around? Aside from the game being taken this leaves little to no problems otherwise. Plus I could totally see Nintendo marketing tablet-only Switch packages provided there's a way to charge the tablet beyond the dock itself.

Of course if you feel this is a waste of money, think of it as buying two family members a handheld. Exception being one's for the entire family and the other can be used as needed if somebody's going out. I know I'll eventually be buying at least two of these units and bonus if it turns out they will be selling tablet only.

Really the only things required for the Switch to function docked is the tablet and the dock. If you have at least more than one tablet then the problem is migitated and the problem of two people taking a Switch tablet is less likely than the first problem.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

cheuble

squid
Trophies
XP
Country
France
first few games
images

"few"

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly, people that are complaining about the swich now are bugging me. C'mon, the only thing we got from Nintendo was a teaser, we know nothing about the Switch. Wait until January before complaining. We don't know the games, the launch titles, the specs, etc...

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You have a point there. I'm not going to buy Skyrim, Splatoon 1.2, Zelda:BotW NS edition but Mario Kart 8.2 and the new Mario 3D? Definitely.

For me it'll come down if the RRP price of NS is reasonable or not, otherwise I'll get it months later.

By the way, Nintendo will probably poop out another New Super Mario Bros. *ugh*
I agree with this 100%.

Honestly, people that are complaining about the swich now are bugging me. C'mon, the only thing we got from Nintendo was a teaser, we know nothing about the Switch. Wait until January before complaining. We don't know the games, the launch titles, the specs, etc...
Are people not allowed to make judgements based on what's been revealed so far?

Listen, If you don't like the Switch then just don't buy it, thats it. No need to create a post or make a argument about it...
"How dare you have your own opinion!"

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's not forget that since Nintendo dropped the PPC architecture, they can finally start advancing things instead of keeping legacy hardware for BC shit. Wii U still had Gamecube-compatible guts, and that's not something I care much about in a home console, is playing last-gen's library. While it's cool if they do, to me it's an added bonus, and shouldn't be a must-do when designing a home console. It makes more sense for the handhelds to do BC to be honest, but I hope they ditch that with the next handheld they make as well.

images

"few"

The Wii U had a similarly huge list of third party support, until it suddenly didn't. So I'm not banking on that just yet. The third party devs could easily back out again just like they did for the Wii and Wii U.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The Wii U had a similarly huge list of third party support, until it suddenly didn't. So I'm not banking on that just yet. The third party devs could easily back out again just like they did for the Wii and Wii U.
Say, was the WiiU ever sold out at launch with inflated prices on eBay? From memory, I can't really remember that happening but the Switch could end up being on a shortage as it's typical from Nintendo nowadays for a short while.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, but it is judging by the first look. Almost nothing was revealed here so...
Well, considering that one of the most common points of criticism is there fact that the Switch is a tablet, I'd say people are entitled to their views and judgements. Note that people are judging/being critical of what they saw in the trailer.

Why is it that, in your view, people aren't allowed to judge the Switch yet, but people are allowed to say how much they like it/are looking forward to it/will buy it/etc.? Surely the fact that we know so little applies to those being positive as well?

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember when people begged Nintendo to make another 2D main series Mario game for years and years before NSMB was finally announced? ...Ah, those were the days...
Well, I mean, we did need another 2D Mario. Problem was that they haven't moved on from that one since. I mean, you look at Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario World, and NSMB and they're all different. Only one that really worked off the previous entry in the series was Super Mario Bros 2 JPN (The Lost Levels in the west). Now we've got NSMB2, NSMBW, NSMBU, and NSMLU not really changing things up.

Reactions: Xiphiidae and Chary

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how the hell you gonna finish a fight with a frickin legendary glowing ancient dragon on the bus? like when your level 200... i need breaks when that sort of thing goes down

Last edited by bitjacker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1