Hacking I got n R4I before I learned that R4s are crap....

pimanrules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I bought a used R4I off Amazon mainly because I wanted to replay a few choice DS games. I got sidetracked by the other... features, so I just recently decided to try and replay Pokémon Ranger. I booted up the game, and it ran fine. I played for a while, tried to save, and... it froze. The saving music kept looping endlessly, and I had to turn it off. Unlike when Phoenix Wright freezes while saving, it didn't keep the save file when I restarted. That was one of the games I bought an R4 for, so... yeah. Any way I can get it to save? I tried it with two different ROMs (E and U) and the same thing happened in both.

If there's no way to fix it, should I bother spending my money on a different flash cart? Are there so many games the R4I is incompatible with that it would be worth it? And it so, which should I get?

Thanks for your time! I'm rather new to the DS flash cart scene, if you can't tell....

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
Try installing YSmenu, if you don't want to fiddle with things get an Acekard 2i, TTDS or wait for the Supercard DS2

pimanrules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... YSmenu didn't seem to work (I probably screwed something up alone the way, but I don't want to bother going through that again). Guess I'll be buying something to replace my R4i....

EDIT: Hold on... I almost got YSmenu to work (using that R4sauto thing, as a standalone nds fike), but whenever I try and launch a game, it says "Invalid dldi file name" (or something like that). Any help?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Get a new MicroSD card, this may sound stupid at first, but my DSTT had saving problems, everytime I saved in Harvest Moon Sunshine Islands (U and E..tried both) & Star Wars Jedi Alliance, my game would freeze, for Harvest Moon it would get stuck forever at Saving...(but if I reloaded the game, the save would be there) while for Star Wars no save at all.

So I bought a new Kingston 4GB SD Card as opposed to my previous 1GB SD, after inserting that card and transferring all games to it, when I launched the DSTT, the menu showed a "SDHC" logo on the top screen's bottom right corner which wasn't there when I had 1GB SD (probably the 1GB was a fake), after that every game saved perfectly. And I have never faced any problems since that day..

And R4i's are not crap, they are just clones, and...they are fine for a regular gamer.

pimanrules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, a new MicroSD card did not work.

Any other ideas?

Edit: Just checked, and it is actually creating a save file, but it doesn't show up in the game. I haven't checked if that save file works on an emulator though.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
pimanrules said:
Sadly, a new MicroSD card did not work.

Any other ideas?

Edit: Just checked, and it is actually creating a save file, but it doesn't show up in the game. I haven't checked if that save file works on an emulator though.

since there are so many versions of r4i..
so i am not sure which one you have gotten yourself with
however, for ysmenu .. you can always get some prepacked version if you google hard enough

in my opinion is always get a better supported flash cart than r4...
so i have to say get a new flash cart like ak2i or m3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(