Homebrew HzMod - old3DS screen streaming

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 247,379
  • Replies 573
  • Likes 102

What should be HorizonModule renamed to?

• HzMod

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • HzModule

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • HzProc

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • HzDbg

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • HzDebug

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a half-assed update:
  • halved memory usage (Mario Maker 3DS works now)
  • reorgznized code flow for extra FPS (up to 2.5FPS increase)
  • reverted HorizonScreen version (yay for entering the IP address from console!)
  • optimized screen tearing on old3DS (in some low-CPU games screen tearing is almost nonexistant)
  • removed motion sickness on old3DS (if screen tearing is bad then it will only update the dispay when all stripes in a frame are received)
  • added autoreconnect (it will autoreconnect as long as your 3DS or your network doesn't die)
  • hardcoded top screen for optimized code flow (multiscreen support increases binary size, RAM usage, and decreases performance JUST BY EXISTING)
Please note that some of these "perks" are only available when using Luma9 due to Luma9 reimplementing things and thus reducing the overall system memory usage.
Please note that the halved memory usage is only noticable when using NTR or InputRedirection is by using Rosalina to launch HzMod due to HzLoad taking up too much memory to launch HzMod. Halved memory usage applies to most if not all extended memory games regardless of the launcher used.

Usage:
  1. install HorizonM.cia (base module, not launchable from Home Menu due to not showing up)
  2. install HzLoad.cia (launcher, this is not the main executalbe, this is just for bootstrapping the module)
  3. install HzLoad_HIMEM.cia on old3DS/2DS if you plan on using extended memory (80M) games
  4. open HzLoad of your choice
  5. open a console (SHIFT-RIGHTCLICK in the directory where HorizonScreen is extracted)
  6. HorizonScreen-PC <ipaddress>
    • on my home network I run HorizonScreen-PC 192.168.1.65
  7. set JPEG quality with UP/DOWN keyboard buttons in HorizonScreen
  8. press L on the keyboard to connect (or START if you have a PS2 controller plugged into the system)
If you don't want to go back to the first post to find the download link then take this: https://puu.sh/zgjTU/3acfc28fa5.zip
Is there any possibility of getting a 3dsx version that doesn't require a base module?

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to run it for a while but can't get any video stream. I'm running a o3DS on lastest fw with b9s and Luma

EDIT: Looking at videotutorials... it seems that it doesn't even sees it, and both are in the same network, i use the SD management tool to shared files via wifi.

Last edited by Osakasan,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've been trying to run it for a while but can't get any video stream. I'm running a o3DS on lastest fw with b9s and Luma

EDIT: Looking at videotutorials... it seems that it doesn't even sees it, and both are in the same network, i use the SD management tool to shared files via wifi.

If you are using Windows then it's known to be unstable at networking. Just keep turning wifi off and back on on the 3DS a few times, eventually it should connect.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's interesting to know this actually runs on the Old3DS. Tested it by myself and the results were incredible for a plataform as underpowered as the o3DS! Great job (:

Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
hi when i'm running HorizonM Loader my o3ds only shows black screen
i have o3ds 11.6 sysnand b9s luma9

if it gets stuck on a black screen then something went wrong on your 3DS
if it doesn't get stuck on a black screen but the LED doesn't turn on then that means that your 3DS has not enough RAM for the HzMod process to even exist
if the LED turned on then it works

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem on step 6, when I open HorizonScreen I get this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 213

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have a problem on step 6, when I open HorizonScreen I get this:

You seem to have a problem with your OpenGL drivers >_> Have you tried connecting? It might be a temporary problem until you connect. I can't make HorizonScreen not freeze due to the singlethreaded nature of it, so problems like this will occur with some weird OpenGL drivers.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seem to have a problem with your OpenGL drivers >_> Have you tried connecting? It might be a temporary problem until you connect. I can't make HorizonScreen not freeze due to the singlethreaded nature of it, so problems like this will occur with some weird OpenGL drivers.

I'm using an old computer just to test it. On my laptop it works fine!
1FPS though.

Black Screen when trying the HIMEM one.
EDIT: It went back to the homescreen, but no LED on the HIMEM one, also the app stays open.

Last edited by thekarter104,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm using an old computer just to test it. On my laptop it works fine!
1FPS though.

Black Screen when trying the HIMEM one.
EDIT: It went back to the homescreen, but no LED on the HIMEM one, also the app stays open.

I forgot to give instructions on how to use HIMEM one...

You only need the HIMEM launcher if you need to use HzMod in an extended memory (80M) game, otherwise you *must* use the regular HzLoad, like stated in the usage section in the first post.

When you launch HzLoad_HIMEM, it'll reboot, and after a while it'll transition to the Home Menu. At this point it works the same as BootNTR Mode3, you highlight a game and press A twice (A to select the game, and A to confirm that you want to close Hzload_HIMEM). Don't close HzLoad_HIMEM normally, otherwise it'll reboot the system. Once you select the game and press A twice, the RGB LED should turn on.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to give instructions on how to use HIMEM one...

You only need the HIMEM launcher if you need to use HzMod in an extended memory (80M) game, otherwise you *must* use the regular HzLoad, like stated in the usage section in the first post.

When you launch HzLoad_HIMEM, it'll reboot, and after a while it'll transition to the Home Menu. At this point it works the same as BootNTR Mode3, you highlight a game and press A twice (A to select the game, and A to confirm that you want to close Hzload_HIMEM). Don't close HzLoad_HIMEM normally, otherwise it'll reboot the system. Once you select the game and press A twice, the RGB LED should turn on.

Thanks a bunch!
I got more FPS using HIMEM than the regular lmao. Only tested on Super Mario Maker 3DS so far. Will test another non-HIMEM game :)
EDIT: Is it also possible to restore the FPS in a video editor?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thanks a bunch!
I got more FPS using HIMEM than the regular lmao. Only tested on Super Mario Maker 3DS so far. Will test another non-HIMEM game :)
EDIT: Is it also possible to restore the FPS in a video editor?

Since it's sending frames real-time, it's not possible since the frames are lost. It might be possible to save the frames for extra FPS, but that's a no-go yet. I think I'll look into recording footage later.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it's sending frames real-time, it's not possible since the frames are lost. It might be possible to save the frames for extra FPS, but that's a no-go yet. I think I'll look into recording footage later.
Ok thanks. I tested here and there and also on a DS game lol. Upon loading the DS game, it freezes HorizonScreen XD
Funny thing is the green LED stays on, so people thinking I got StreetPass on a DS game XDDD

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ok thanks. I tested here and there and also on a DS game lol. Upon loading the DS game, it freezes HorizonScreen XD
Funny thing is the green LED stays on, so people thinking I got StreetPass on a DS game XDDD

HzMod only works in 3DS mode. And no, it's not possible to run HzMod in DS or GBA mode due to required hardware being switched into different mode, and it's 100% incompatible with HzMod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: