Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I never thought of that... But wait. What kind of CPU does the WiiU even have? x86? x64? ARM? If it's ARM we could be SOL.

A PPC as a primary CPU that can interact with graphics and sound, and an ARM that does a lot of background tasks (that's what IOSU runs on). By the way, this is really easy information to look up.

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: paulloeduardo

ArceusMI

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arceusmi.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
A PPC as a primary CPU that can interact with graphics and sound, and an ARM that does a lot of background tasks (that's what IOSU runs on). By the way, this is really easy information to look up.

Yeah, in all honesty I just didn't feel like looking it up xD

So are you saying that the main processing gets done by the PPC then?

ArceusMI

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arceusmi.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Power PC. Possible...maybe

https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

SteamOS is our Linux-based operating system. The base system draws from Debian 8

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

The next issue once the OS is *ported* becomes actually having the games run. Most are developed for Windows, and maybe Mac/Linux if you're lucky. I'm not well versed in anything about PPC (other than the fact that old Macs used to have them), so I don't know if that would take another porting, but I'd believe so because x86-64 software doesn't run on ARM (RaspberryPi is a great example) so not too sure it would be very useful in the long run. Maybe, just maybe you could get the Steam Link system running.

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
The next issue once the OS is *ported* becomes actually having the games run. Most are developed for Windows, and maybe Mac/Linux if you're lucky. I'm not well versed in anything about PPC (other than the fact that old Macs used to have them), so I don't know if that would take another porting, but I'd believe so because x86-64 software doesn't run on ARM (RaspberryPi is a great example) so not too sure it would be very useful in the long run. Maybe, just maybe you could get the Steam Link system running.
as you wrote this I did think to myself, steam link might be more feasible, to get the pad running with it would be godlike.

EDIT:
shit outa luck.

Last edited by davetheshrew,

ArceusMI

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arceusmi.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
as you wrote this I did think to myself, steam link might be more feasible, to get the pad running with it would be godlike.

The pad most likely wouldn't be too hard, it's been softhacked already. It would be easier to just have maybe the Steam Link version of the OS to be ported. Let me do some research on how hard it would actually be...

Oof, the requirements are too killer...

So the things that really get me are the HDD space, processor, and that last bit, UEFI. That requires some real modification to get rid of, IIRC.

Last edited by ArceusMI,

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country
thats steam OS, steam link is a custom linux kernel running on ARM7 mate, as a client it doesnt need to be powerful at all.

seems like a dead end, but you never know with these things

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ArceusMI

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arceusmi.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
thats steam OS, steam link is a custom linux kernel running on ARM7 mate, as a client it doesnt need to be powerful at all.

Good point. But the processor is still the issue. PPC is an outdated architecture now.

EDIT: Yeah. "Valve-developed software stack" kills it. Proprietary.

Last edited by ArceusMI,

davetheshrew

Trophies
XP
Country

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
s@Marionumber1 the arm takes care of background tasks, if the system was fully exploited couldnt arm be utilised?

Of course, but as I said, you couldn't use graphics or sound hardware from the ARM. You could always force the PPC to do that, but then why not just run everything on the PPC? Direct hardware access to the stuff IOSU usually handles is pretty difficult anyway.

ArceusMI

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arceusmi.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Of course, but as I said, you couldn't use graphics or sound hardware from the ARM. You could always force the PPC to do that, but then why not just run everything on the PPC? Direct hardware access to the stuff IOSU usually handles is pretty difficult anyway.

As I mentioned, since PPC is an outdated arch, it's a bit harder to work with. Not much is made for it anymore, other than base systems and completely custom code. Having it be fully custom would require a lot more resources than most HB devs have. Hence why a big team like Nintendo or Debian can do it, but it would be harder for us.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned, since PPC is an outdated arch, it's a bit harder to work with. Not much is made for it anymore, other than base systems and completely custom code. Having it be fully custom would require a lot more resources than most HB devs have. Hence why a big team like Nintendo or Debian can do it, but it would be harder for us.

I get that, but the only way to use graphics and sound is to run PPC code.

ArceusMI

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arceusmi.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I get that, but the only way to use graphics and sound is to run PPC code.

Which in turn means it's gonna be harder to actually DO anything like what we were discussing. For example, Steam Link. You need at least enough power to send and decode the video stream from the host PC, so you'd ned the PPC code for that, which we would have to port from proprietary code.

Oh well, I'm going to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I'd quite enjoy a life of taking it easy. But I haven't reached that life yet.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
  • AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears:
    Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders for two Wii-channels: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuhb-to-vwii-channel-request.657253/#post-10441514
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    dracula has some sick bars ngl
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/XnZLsJuNCnM?feature=shared&t=9 +1