HTML 5 specification!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
A new draft of the HTML 5 specification is available at this address.
The changes are huge
blink.gif
  • It's fully basically backwards compatible, which is good; but there are tons of new additions.
  • These sections impressed me most:
    3.1. New Elements especially the INPUT part and the audio/video tags.
    3.2. New Attributes... the "ping" attribute for links
    wtf.gif
    autofocus
    ohmy.gif
    inputmode
    wub.gif
    new input constraints
    bow.gif
    asynchronous scripts
    ph34r.gif
    context menus
    grog.gif
    drag & drop API
    biggrin.gif
  • Also the tag "names" don't exist anymore, they're replaced by IDs only... which is a good thing IMO, using names & ID could sometimes be confusing.
  • Most of the presentational attributes in tags were removed (such as the "align" property) because they are now handled by CSS. A good thing again, since you used to be able to go like and it would behave differently according to the browser you're using. The main attributes that were removed are: align & valign, background & bgcolor, border, cellpadding/cellspacing, height & width, size, style (WTF? you can't use the style attribute anymore? NOOOOOO) ...
  • Some interesting APIs are also introduced: 2D drawing API, video and audio playback
    wtf.gif
    , persistent storage
    wtf.gif
    , drag & drop API, network API, and a couple more.
What an interesting read!
This going to be like a new WWW... Wow.
HTML engine developpers (gecko/IE mainly) are going to have a lot of work on their plate.
icon11.gif
Read article

PS: sorry for the overuse of emoticons. I'm thrilled.

D

Deleted User

And now start the usual procedure :
for each browser :
1) roll a 100-hundred faces dice
2) implement the number % of the specification

Overall constraint : make sure browsers implementation are the least overlapping, and when they do, make sure they choosed non compatible interpretation of the specif.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
quelle mauvaise langue
tongue.gif

nowadays browsers tend to comply a lot more with the standards and specifications: I even heard that IE 8 passed the Ac!d 2 test (something like that).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like adblock/noscript is going to become more than a nicety and probably about 30 megs and to clock 10% runtime to boot.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Lots of changes!
wtf.gif

I was not expecting that much stuff.. passing all the style responsibility to CSS is a good thing.. now you know were all you're styles definitions are!
biggrin.gif

What screws everything is that a lot of people still use IE6.. it'll take some time till HTML5 becomes standard..
frown.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
Also the tag "names" don't exist anymore, they're replaced by IDs only... which is a good thing IMO, using names & ID could sometimes be confusing.
I'm using the "name" tag with javascript to apply same effect to multiple element, as ID is a little hard to use because it has to be unique.

no more "style" except on font tag ? We will need to use ID everywhere ? If the same style is used all over the page, we can't use same ID for each element.

Also no more frame/framset.

New elements and attributes are interesting (and maybe useless, like the Dialogue element).

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
no more "style" except on font tag ? We will need to use ID everywhere ? If the same style is used all over the page, we can't use same ID for each element.
I think "class" is what you're after; does the same job as ID but can be used for multiple elements, and if I'm reading the HTML 5 spec correctly it can now be used on any element. Not that I knew it couldn't before
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol