Tutorial  Updated

How to switch your MenuHax CFW Setup to Luma3DS

I've noticed a lot of this questions related to switching CFWs popping up lately on the forum, so here's a quick tutorial on how to switch to Luma3DS from other outdated CFW solutions, such as rxTools, AuReiNAND, or a handful of other outdated CFW options.

This guide is kind of a WIP, but it should be simple enough to get most people running Luma3DS at the very least. Feedback on how I can make steps clearer is appreciated, but please be civil, of course. (:

Why switch to Luma3DS? Easy, you lose nothing, it's being well maintained, and it's a lot faster and more consistent than many of the older CFW options.

Need all those Tools from rxTools? Switch to using Decrypt9WIP and EmuNAND9 to perform the various functions that it's menu had and more. These tools are being well maintained, while rxTools is not*. This means they are safer tools for you, the end user.
*dukesrg made an effort to try to fix some bugs in them with his fork "Yet another rxtools" but this doesn't resolve any of the CFW related things, and that fork is still not recommended for use

MenuHax Users:
  1. Download the latest Luma3DS (non-dev) build from the github here.
  2. Place your 3DS's SD Card in your computer.
  3. Copy over the "3DS" folder, the "luma" folder, and "Luma3DS.dat" from the archive to your SD card.
  4. Delete your other CFW's files.
  5. Add an entry in your Boot Manager Configuration to load the Luma3DS.dat with offset 0x12000. See "Additional Information" below for the exact text to copy if you are unsure. If you have no boot manager and do not wish to set one up, but wish to load Luma3DS instantly once MenuHax runs, you may use the "boot.3dsx" inside the "menuhax" folder of the Luma3DS archive.
  6. Insert SD Card back into your 3DS.
  7. Start up Luma3DS CFW and turn on:
    "Show current NAND in System Settings."
  8. You may also set "New 3DS CPU" to "Clock+L2" if you have a New 3DS and would like better performance in titles that do not support the New 3DS features normally.
  9. You may also enable "Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM" should you have the desire to see the old GBA Logo flash when running GBA games.
  10. When done press start to boot CFW EmuNAND.
  11. Future boots of Luma3DS will no longer show the Config, should you need to get into it to change things, you may do so by holding Select while you start it up, should you want to boot CFW SysNAND, you may do so by holding L while starting Luma3DS. For additional information on how Luma3DS works and it's options, read the Luma3DS Wiki.
  12. Consider switching to Arm9LoaderHax by following Plailect's Guide because it is an objectively better entrypoint, especially for CFW users. If you decide to do this, make sure your boot.3dsx is the Homebrew Launcher.
Additional Information:
For MenuHax users running CTRBootManager, here is the entry you must add to the top of your boot.cfg, either replacing your old CFW's entry, or adding it if you for some reason like being able to boot multiple CFWs.
Code:
{

title = "Luma3DS";

path = "/Luma3DS.dat";

offset = "0x12000";

},

For MenuHax users running BootCTR, replace your existing [DEFAULT] entry in boot_config.ini with the following. BootCTR's default values for offset and delay handle the Luma3DS dat properly by default and do not need to be specified.
Code:
[DEFAULT]
path = /Luma3DS.dat

Writer's Notes:
This guide is what it is. It's a supplement for people that used outdated guides in this forum to get them on the right track to running something modern and fast, rather than bloated and slow, but not requiring them to go through Plailect's Guide necessarily, even if they should. I didn't like the way existing guide's of this nature were handled or laid out, so I did one myself.

If I've made any mistake, please feel free to tell me about it in this thread and I'll correct it.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

Dotmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok i got it to work now. When i startup my 3DS, it automaticly opens Luma3DS. One thing though, i want to be able to enter the homebrew Menu, but when i click Homebrewmenu in the startup of CTRBootmanager, the screen stays red, and the 3ds Freezes.

Fixed it. I had to copy over my old boot.3dsx, but rename it to boot_hb.3dsx. Lovely!

Last edited by Dotmore,

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, so I installed menuhax, then I did this, but once I boot up my 3DS I get a black screen.
I know I can remove the SD card and then change the theme to fix it but IDK why I get the black screen in the first place.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I installed menuhax, then I did this, but once I boot up my 3DS I get a black screen.
I know I can remove the SD card and then change the theme to fix it but IDK why I get the black screen in the first place.

Sounds like Luma 3DS is freezing up. Maybe you should consider switching to A9LH.
Keep in mind it is indeed possible to use MenuHax on 11.0, but you can't run CFW via MenuHax on any SysNAND version but 9.2.

Hey, where are all the "OR JUST INSTALL A9LH" people at?
See Writer's Notes section.
This guide is what it is. It's a supplement for people that used outdated guides in this forum to get them on the right track to running something modern and fast, rather than bloated and slow, but not requiring them to go through Plailect's Guide necessarily, even if they should.

I am one of the switch to A9LH people. :P

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds like Luma 3DS is freezing up. Maybe you should consider switching to A9LH.
Keep in mind it is indeed possible to use MenuHax on 11.0, but you can't run CFW via MenuHax on any SysNAND version but 9.2.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

See Writer's Notes section.
My sysnand is on 9.2, I don't feel like going trough the A9LH right now, thought that Luma3DS was just quick and easy.
Is it possible to run Luma trough browserhax, maybe?

Great, now I put the lumaCFW firmware.bin on my sd card, and now whenever I put my SD card in my 3DS it freezes. And since I can't change my theme without my SD card, I can't delete menuhax either, nor boot up my 3DS with the SD card in it. I'm never gonna install that shit again, RxTools worked fine...

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but now my 3DS is completely rekt. Look at my other post.
Not really, more than likely you're having an issue related to Luma3DS not being able to get the priviledge escalation it needs to boot, likely due to the messed up memory state menuhax often leaves the console in.
If you switch back to your previous setup, you'll probably be fine. Menuhax isn't what's broken here, it's just breaking luma3DS due to a memory problem that's common with this exploit.

Not really, more than likely you're having an issue related to Luma3DS not being able to get the priviledge escalation it needs to boot, likely due to the messed up memory state menuhax often leaves the console in.
The best solution is to install A9LH
The easiest solution is to switch back to rxTools, if that doesn't work then you really ought to consider just setting up A9LH
From the point you're at now, it'd only take you about an hour or so, and you wouldn't lose any of your games or anything. :P

If you decide you want to, feel free to pop in the http://reddit.com/r/3dshacks official Discord and tag me in #help-and-questions and I'll help you get this sorted out. Just make sure you read the rules. :P

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

The best solution is to install A9LH
The easiest solution is to switch back to rxTools, if that doesn't work then you really ought to consider just setting up A9LH
From the point you're at now, it'd only take you about an hour or so, and you wouldn't lose any of your games or anything. :P

If you decide you want to, feel free to pop in the http://reddit.com/r/3dshacks official Discord and tag me in #help-and-questions and I'll help you get this sorted out. Just make sure you read the rules. :P
Alright, I might as well just try A9LH later, but I've lost RxTools and my ability to use the browser, and i can't manage to remove Menuhax. Changing the theme won't work, it just keeps going back, all the legit cia's I installed don't appear on the home menu anymore, and I think my saves are gone (My own fault though, happened when trying to install menuhax)

Gosh I wish piracy was as easy as it was on the Wii.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I might as well just try A9LH later, but I've lost RxTools and my ability to use the browser, and i can't manage to remove Menuhax. Changing the theme won't work, it just keeps going back, all the legit cia's I installed don't appear on the home menu anymore, and I think my saves are gone (My own fault though, happened when trying to install menuhax)

Gosh I wish piracy was as easy as it was on the Wii.
Actually it kind of is, you just have to fully complete the guide, drop in the discord later and tag me or say you're looking for me there, I'll help ya out the best I can there. We'll get ya running the latest and greatest in no time. (:

https://discordapp.com/invite/MWxPgEp here's a link for ya if you need it

Reactions: DutchyDutch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1