Hacking How to run VC/WiiWare Wads off an SD Card in vWii Mode?

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I Need some help lol Sorry this might be the third time you see this question but it might be helpful for those wondering the same thing I am. Is there a way to run VC/Wiiware wads off an SD Card????? I actually used Dop-Mii in an attempt to install ios 236 and patched ios 80 on my vWii mode and it didnt go through because there was no trucha bug but I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that no damage has been done to my vWii mode because I have noticed zero change lol even though I said yes to HW_AHBPROT but it still said no trucha bug and to install to an ios that allows fakesign.
What I have done that has worked is install the HBC via smash stack and installed wads of vc games and one wii ware game. All have been working well so far.
The thing I've been looking for all day is...how can I run my VC/Wii Ware Wads off of the SD Card???? (So as to save blocks on my vWii mode) When I try to do it it says failed to launch. For my regular wii I installed ios236 and then used dop mii to install the patched ios 80 (which patches the system menu I later learned) but as it would seem vWii mode is different and messing with the System Menu ios may be more risky than it would be with the regular wii.
BUT the weird thing is TWO of my wads (Mario Party 2 and Wario Ware DIY Showcase) ACTUALLY DO run off the SD Card (after being moved to the SD Card and no longer being present on the system itself) perfectly without ios 236 or any patch or modification to ios 80. Why only these two and not the rest lol...is there a way I can get the rest to play off my SD card in the vWii Mode?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Wiiwares and VC games using a dump of your vWii nand and the loader Wiiflow (using Wiiflow click A on the little multi-squaredlittle-icon in the lower right corner, then click B on the old-controller icon (NES?) in the lower right and select Extract Nand: dump will be made in few minutes and placed in SD :\wiiflow\nandump\).

Now, on PC side, open the software called ShowMiiWads and do the following:
"Options" -> "Change NAND backup path" -> enter the nand backup folder (in the example above it is SD :\wiiflow\nandemu) -> "View" -> "ShowMiiNand" and you will see NAND contents;
Now go to "File" -> "Open Folder" -> Select your WADs dir and wait for loading -> "View" -> "ShowMiiWads" -> select your WADs -> right-click -> "Extract" -> "to NAND" and wait for the process to end.

Now put the SD card in Wii U, launch vWii and then Wiiflow from HBC; select the multi-squared-little-icon (that represents nand installed titles) and you will be able to see and play your Wiiwares and VC titles (compatibility is very large in Wiiflow but not all games play) - covers are also available !

You can also use another Wii or vWii nand backup but there are problems exiting Wiiwares and VC titles (often crash)

And also, to avoid problems using Wiimotes (that are syncronized with your real vWii) you need to correct the wiiflow.ini file in SD :\apps\wiiflow to set this option real_nand_config=yes

Reactions: CyberMario

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see so is emulated nand the only option? Will it affect the way the vc wads play or look or will they play and look the same as if played right off the system menu? Also is the reason only my mario party and wario ware wads play successfully off the sd card because of a region issue? I assumed all wads I got were NTSC-U bc they all install successfully but the funny thing was these two were the only ones that clearly said NTSC-U in the title. I tried doing it with Majora's Mask which says NTSC and it didn't work lol maybe if I find the proper region with region in the name they will all work?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They works in the same way they works in System Menu (some games aspect ratio must be corrected through wiiflow specific-game setting).
Yes, probably, if you find another region, they could work (I just tryed -wario ware diy- and it works like a charm).

Reactions: Brav0

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol oh okay that's good to know and oh wow so I'm not the only one that's so weird lol ahhhh! Why can't this work with others maybe time to find roms that clearly say NTSC-U in the title lol

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also how would the emulated NAND method accommodate for new wads that I put on my sd card? Will I have to do the entire process over again each time I want to add a game lol?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a method to add a single wad but you must use USBLoader GX (Gears icon -> Install WAD to EmuNand - you can select only 1 wad at time, no batch processing); no function to do this from the Wii or vWii using Wiiflow that I am aware of.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this was the place that let me in on WiiFlow running the Emunand on vWii... Anyone know whats wrong with pokemon Puzzle League and Paper Mario. Both say "You will need a classic controller" and then don't go any further.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to connect the classic controller to the wiimote (same way you connect the nunchuck):
images

wiiClassicController.jpg

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay I found a giant collection of wads which are correct region and are playing off the sd card without NAND emulation or anything xD however I need a good wad installer program please if anyone knows because my installer for many of these wads isn't even letting me install them to the system at all, saying ret= -1022

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Nevermind I fixed that problem lol ugh most of the wads I wanted worked off the sd card no problem but the following did not:

Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
The Legend Of Zelda MM
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64

Ugh some of the best titles lol my last resort is the emulated NAND but maybe these particular wads in the collection I got are still having the region issue.

@asper: Have you tried running these wads off your sd card? Any luck lol

K Solis

KSS1992
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Mario Tennis does not work either lol I am considering Emulatrd NAND via wiiflow at this point. To search for wads that fit the correct system menu conditions etc seems very time consuming. So you said if I do the wii flow thing the wads would play exactly the same as if they were played off the system menu (look and sound and play exactly the same?)??? Which games would I need to correct the aspect ratio in (any of the ones I mentioned above need aspect ratio correcting inside of wii flow?)

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Virtual Console titles are the most problematic to run.

My tests using emulated nand under Wiiflow (never tested real nand installation):

Super Mario 64 <-- works
Paper Mario <-- hangs at classic controller request
The Legend Of Zelda MM <-- starts but you cannot bypass the rotating N beginning screen
Mario Tennis 64 <-- hangs at classic controller request
Mario Kart 64 <-- works

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading this thread tonight, is it safe to install WiiWare and virtual console wads and they don't need to be recompiled for vWii like a forwarder was would need to be?

Nasedase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use Wiiwares and VC games using a dump of your vWii nand and the loader Wiiflow (using Wiiflow click A on the little multi-squaredlittle-icon in the lower right corner, then click B on the old-controller icon (NES?) in the lower right and select Extract Nand: dump will be made in few minutes and placed in SD :\wiiflow\nandump\).

Now, on PC side, open the software called ShowMiiWads and do the following:
"Options" -> "Change NAND backup path" -> enter the nand backup folder (in the example above it is SD :\wiiflow\nandemu) -> "View" -> "ShowMiiNand" and you will see NAND contents;
Now go to "File" -> "Open Folder" -> Select your WADs dir and wait for loading -> "View" -> "ShowMiiWads" -> select your WADs -> right-click -> "Extract" -> "to NAND" and wait for the process to end.

Now put the SD card in Wii U, launch vWii and then Wiiflow from HBC; select the multi-squared-little-icon (that represents nand installed titles) and you will be able to see and play your Wiiwares and VC titles (compatibility is very large in Wiiflow but not all games play) - covers are also available !

You can also use another Wii or vWii nand backup but there are problems exiting Wiiwares and VC titles (often crash)

And also, to avoid problems using Wiimotes (that are syncronized with your real vWii) you need to correct the wiiflow.ini file in SD :\apps\wiiflow to set this option real_nand_config=yes

I got the games to show in the emunand of my usb drive but when I try to run them a black screen shows for a while then i'm returned to the Wiiflow menu.
I did extract the system nand after i installed homebrew and custom cIOS's, so could that be an issue?
I had no idea about nand emulation before I did my vWii mod, but would the nand I'm extracting basically be a corrupt nand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway