Hacking How To: Protect Against Banner Bricks

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I used Custom IOS Dowgrader to go from 3.2--->3.3 with no problem at all, the screen says downloading a bunch of files, and then says installing the bunch of files already downloaded, also, the wads on 3.3v2 still can be installed if you installed before updating a cIOS in 249....!!!
smile.gif

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ether2802 said:
I used Custom IOS Dowgrader to go from 3.2--->3.3 with no problem at all, the screen says downloading a bunch of files, and then says installing the bunch of files already downloaded, also, the wads on 3.3v2 still can be installed if you installed before updating a cIOS in 249....!!!
smile.gif

Thats very neat, but why are you upgrading to 3.3 when the Entire homebrew/pirate wii community is downgrading to 3.2? >.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: i did it works like charm.
i will have to rent twilight princess though as i don't own aretail copy if i banner brick.
i can always play games by holding down Y with them in the drive at start up if i'm broke till i get some cash though!
biggrin.gif

also is it a good idea to make my wii region free as well in case i run across a wii game that's not from my region?

Agix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to learn about all the different possibilities in homebrew. I was already to install Starfall but got confused about what noobwarrior7 said.

noobwarrior7 said:
Some stuff here

make sure you let them know, using the menu to perform a seemingly harmless update is a bad idea, and they should stick to the plan....

...in fact, if they do ANY menu update....next boot the starfall hacks will be broke and they'll be completely bricked.

rest of stuff here

What is considered a menu update? Upgrading back to 3.3 or higher? What about when cSM comes out?

Thanks
Agix

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Er out of context its hard to tell but I will wager a guess:

Translation: If you brick your wii and use starfall to update your system menu hoping it will fix it (either by wad manager/cios downgrader/anyregion changer or autobooting a disk that has an update on it and running the update to install a new updated firmware) what you will actually be doing it screwing youself. When you update your system menu, it wipes out starfall. If your wii is not bricked before you update, then you have no problem because you can reinstall starfall. If your wii IS bricked and you update, you lose starfall and now you have a bricked wii you cant recover from.

Other translation: Dont get creative in fixing your bricked wii. If you get a brick, stick to the instructions given by someone who knows what they are doing

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if Starfall says that it found (v353) (which I just found out is 3.3) rather than one of the two needed firmwares when trying to install? I assume that I'll need to downgrade - will that prevent me from using the Gamma loader or Homebrew Channel? And if it won't, how would I go about downgrading?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
djdynamite123 said:
Nice tut, surely no-one will miss this, all there in Black & White, well done, should be stickied..
(Now you know how to protect yourselves, just relate to this thread)
I allways thought I had to use condoms to protect myself... stupid TV comercials...

QUOTE(xtalarge @ Nov 27 2008, 11:51 PM) What if Starfall says that it found (v353) (which I just found out is 3.3) rather than one of the two needed firmwares when trying to install? I assume that I'll need to downgrade - will that prevent me from using the Gamma loader or Homebrew Channel? And if it won't, how would I go about downgrading?
äääähm: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118446

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: