Hacking How To: Protect Against Banner Bricks

isoptera4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can this protection be used in some way to allow one to keep their TP save on the system. I have not yet completed TP and I'd like to keep this protection on and be able to play my TP save.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
isoptera4 said:
Can this protection be used in some way to allow one to keep their TP save on the system. I have not yet completed TP and I'd like to keep this protection on and be able to play my TP save.

Absolutely! Follow the steps in the first post, then DONT UPGRADE! Solved!

breakdaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I was also confused about the downgraders called IOS and cIOS but now I think I got it. IOS downgrader downgrades a specific IOS (IOS30) to enable fakesigning (used for drivechips). cIOS downgrades the System to the version you choose.

see here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Downgrader

and here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CIOS_Downgrader

SO for this process, do we really need IOS downgrader if we have no chip and a retail TP????

@noobwarrior you said "3.3v1? AnyRegion Changer followed by IOS Downgrader (not cIOS Downgrader in this case)"

Please elaborate as to why not cIOS Downgrader here?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHY USE ARC?

at one point it was said that Anyregion Changer is "safer", because where it downloads all the files first and only once it has them all does it install them...

...cIOS downgrader (maybe not the newest version but at one point) would download some, intsall some, download some, install some....so if for some reason it can't access all the files in one try, your left with some weird ganked-up half-grade....

...may not be true with the newest release, but I always just vote for AnyRegion Changer 1.1

also, ARC installs IT'S patched IOS it uses on-the-fly, and removes it right after, so if it's an option (which it isn't on 3.3v2) its easier for the end-user.

WHY USE IOS DOWNGRADER AFTER?
if you are on 3.3v1....and you use ARC to downgrade, one or a few IOS (particularly 35) it accesses online has been completely replaced with the ones from 3.3v2....so even though you end up with the right sysmenu, you have un-trucha'd IOS. the downgrader will remedy this and complete your downgrade.

IF you are UNDER 3.2 and use ARC to install(upgrade) 3.2 (instead of just using a disc, I believe Guitar Hero 3 has 3.2 maybe?), it will ONLY download the system menu and it's IOS that you need (if you don't already have it) so you shouldn't need to run either "downgrader" then.

WHY NO ARC ON 3.3v2 or 3.4?
because it doesn't work, finally, plain and simple.
you have to get a cIOS installed if you don't already have one using IOS 16

and then use IOS downgrader, and then cIOS downgrader, and then probably IOS downgrader again wouldn't even hurt to get a fulldowngrade....but I don't know, this situation is untested for me, I just know ARC is out of the picture unfortunately

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Destian said:
(If I have missed anything please let me know.)

biggrin.gif
Great guide, and what is needed here. I hope you get time Destian to update your very first post with the additional info from others, then it will be perfect.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I tested this, it's working for me. Seems like a nice safe way to recover from banner bricks. Now I might just try installing a wad for the first time.

K

Kurisuellegarden

Thank you! I've been thinking about trying to figure out how to make custom channels but I was afraid of bricking my Wii!

vegeta4ss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
would you suggest doing the downgrade and starfall install before installing any wiiware/vc titles? Or are the only unsafe wads to worry about the unsigned loader channels?

Destian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
@ Destian,

a couple things about the original post before it is perfect

your post assumes that people will take your word that 3.2 is the best menu to be on.
I can tell you from experience many won't. not your fault of course, but if you explain that
this is THE ONLY way they eliminate the need for a CHIP and possibly OTHER HARDWARE (SaveMii),
they will listen more intently.

Meh, if they don't want to listen they can take their chances.
smile.gif

also, this is the ONLY way to use a "retail Twilight Princess" for the process, that can be emphasized as well.

I shouldn't have neglected that. Will add it now. Thanks to everyone who suggested doing so.

also, you brushed over the "get on 3.2" part.

heres the basics:

On 3.2? GREAT!
Lower than 3.2? AnyRegion Changer only

I thought cIOS Downgrader could be used to upgrade as well (despite what the name may imply). Am I incorrect?

3.3v1? AnyRegion Changer followed by IOS Downgrader (not cIOS Downgrader in this case)
3.3v2? IOS Downgrader followed by cIOS Downdgrader

You confused me a little here. Can people who have not run IOS Downgrader from 3.3 actually install WADs? I'm a bit cloudy on this.

also, using this process with other discs that contain "a newer update than the currently have" may prompt them to update to 3.3, and eventually discs will be pressed with 3.4.....

3.3 kills the ability to use homebrew discs for an escape (you need a chip for that anyway)
and then 3.4 kills both that and TP

make sure you let them know, using the menu to perform a seemingly harmless update is a bad idea, and they should stick to the plan....

...in fact, if they do ANY menu update....next boot the starfall hacks will be broke and they'll be completely bricked.

You're saying that if they banner brick, then boot a disc with an update on it and run the update they will be bricked, correct? Not that running an update with Starfall patches installed will brick the Wii under general circumstances.

Valuable post, good work.

framework was kind enough to put this on his blog for all to see, its not updated with the GC pad info (savemiifree)
but it may work for some further clarification....as it has all the basic methods:

http://framework43.blogspot.com/2008/10/banner-bricks.html

Update: just corrected my downgrading info.
Thanks for the help.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"You confused me a little here. Can people who have not run IOS Downgrader from 3.3 actually install WADs? I'm a bit cloudy on this."
YES, if you go through all the trouble of the IOS16 install from 3.3v2, yadayada and IOS downgrader, they can then install wads...even before then they can use the IOS16 edition wad-manager...
...anyways, not your original goal to write a downgrade tut, I just thought it should be mentioned for people who hit this thread up first.

"You're saying that if they banner brick, then boot a disc with an update on it and run the update they will be bricked, correct? Not that running an update with Starfall patches installed will brick the Wii under general circumstances."
RIGHT.

"I thought cIOS Downgrader could be used to upgrade as well (despite what the name may imply). Am I incorrect?"

no, you're right, but you'll see in my later post "WHY ARC?"

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm planning on installing this, but there are a few problems. The first one is that I don't really like downgrading, and I'm on v3.3 (the first one). Also, I'm currently playing through Twilight Princess. Having two SD-cards ready just to be able to swap the save is too much of a hassle. Besides, I will only be testing WADs of SoftChip for the sake of other people; I don't use it myself!

I've got a little question: I have a batch file which automatically downloads the newest SoftChip and injects it into an existing WAD-file. The banner stays the same. Is there any chance at all that this might banner brick a Wii?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I've got a little question: I have a batch file which automatically downloads the newest SoftChip and injects it into an existing WAD-file. The banner stays the same. Is there any chance at all that this might banner brick a Wii?
No it wont, as you already have your wad which the .dol get's injected to

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Maikel Steneker said:
I'm planning on installing this, but there are a few problems. The first one is that I don't really like downgrading, and I'm on v3.3 (the first one). Also, I'm currently playing through Twilight Princess. Having two SD-cards ready just to be able to swap the save is too much of a hassle. Besides, I will only be testing WADs of SoftChip for the sake of other people; I don't use it myself!

if you only injecting the wad channel with the dol (replacing the dol in the wad ) you should be fine and no harm to your Wii .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Mines are all the dragon ball animes. Im also enjoying Fullmetal alchemist and my hero academia