EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This guide is a long time outdated, I will leave it up for reference purposes but it is very much reccomended that you find a more current guide to get homebrew installed on your Wii. As always, don't update if you dont need to
smile.gif

Best guide as of this edit (10/04)

This is *MY* attempt at noob-proof instructions on how to get Gamma installed on your wii.
Any questions, comments, missing credits etc can send via PM to EmperorOfcanada at GBATemp.net
Some parts of this tutorial require an internet connection / Wifi connection with your wii.

*DISCLAIMER*
I WILL TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY WII’S THAT GET BRICKED DURING THIS PROCESS. PROCED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

CREDITS:
A_running_pir8 - October 23rd Wii Fix has helped many many people. Thanks! This wasnt possible without you.
RadioShadow - Your guide inspired this one. My intention was to make your excellent guide even more fool proof. Thanks!
Team Twiizers - Twilight hack. Youve come through for us yet again.
Wiigator - Duh. cant forget you
smile.gif

DJtaz - Yours is my favorite loader, so its the one I use in this tutorial.

Due to new rules, the link has been removed. If you would like to find advice on where to obtain the files required for this guide. You are welcome to PM me. I can also be reached on msn at [email protected]

QUOTE said:
Preparation
[Homebrew channel install with Twilight Hack]
+Copy over the save file for your version of Zelda.
**NOTE If you are on firmware 3.4 ONLY, you must delete data.bin and rename Twilight3.4.bin to data.bin before
you copy it over. This ensures you are using the correct version of the hack. You must run Zelda right after you
copy the hack over or the system menu will delete it and you will have to copy it over again.
+Once the hacked save file is copied over, run Zelda. Talk to the nearby man or walk backwards to initiate
the install of the homebrew channel (which is the boot.dol in the root of your SD card)
Congrats, you should now have Homebrew Channel installed!
*Note* Make sure each step is successful before you move on to the next step. If a step is not successful it may prevent the next steps from working.
QUOTE said:
[STEP 1] [Perform BOTH these steps if you are already on 3.3 or 3.4 then move on to Step 2]
+Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
Yes, even if you have received errors trying to install other wads this should still work.

+Load Custom WM in Homebrew Channel and install cios_fix.wad
You cannot install this wad with Wad Manager. This is a custom wad manager designed to work for IOS16.

+Load IOS Downgrader in Homebrew Channel. Just follow any prompts until it tells you it is complete.
**Note: This is NOT the same as the cIOS downgrader. The cIOS downgrader allows you to upgrade or downgrade to the ideal firmware
version which is 3.2. The reason 3.2 is so popular is partially because versions after this one had the Trucha bug fixed, and almost
as importantly ver 3.2 is required to run Starfall. Starfall is important because it is at this time one of the only ways to fix a
partially bricked Wii. It is also handy for skipping disk updates.
QUOTE said:
[STEP 2] [Perform these steps if you have completed Step 1 above or if you are on a version below 3.2. If you ARE on 3.2, skip to STEP 3]
+Load cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel MAKING SURE you PICK YOUR CORRECT REGION. Follow prompts until done.
3.2U = USA/Canada, 3.2E = Europe, 3.2J = Japan
**Note: Once again, this is NOT the same as IOS Downgrader. This is what will upgrade or downgrade you to version 3.2 firmware
which will allow you to install starfall. Starfall is important because it is at this time one of the only ways to fix a
partially bricked Wii. It is also handy for skipping disk updates.
[STEP 3] [You should now be on version 3.2 for your region. You're almost done!]
+Load Starfall with Homebrew Channel.
If you read the disclaimer carefully, you will see you are instructed to press B+1 and not B+2. Press B+1 until you get to the next
screen. It is very picky so dont be surprised if you have to keep pressing it a number of times.
At the next screen the most important things to install are the last 3 options. Many people like to just install everything which
is okay too.

+Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel.
This installs the IOS needed by the launcher.

+Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel.

+Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install:
DjTaz_gamma_Loader.wad - This will give you a Gamma launcher channel. You can skip this if you prefer to launch backups from HBC or wish to install a different channel loader.

You can also optionally install IOS38, as in some cases it is needed to run Animal Crossing.

DONE!
Hope this worked for you. All I ask is if this guide helps you, that you pass it to other people you see struggling getting it working.
Enjoy!

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice one. Seems noob-proof to me.

I'll put this thread in my sig.
Also, I vote for Stickie !!

FISHERMAN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Great i will try it as soon as i get home. So in other words if i understood correctly i will get back to 3.2E from 3.4E. What about the new games that demand system updates (Castlevania e.g) will i have any problem? I thought that the point was to play vc and wiiware on 3.4E not in 3.2E. Anyway this seems impossible for the time being but thank you veryyyyyyyyy much for your help. I will report back for feedback. Is it possible to play all current games with 3.2E ? I have to mention that i have wiikey installed and 1.9g fw.

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great thread for anyone who need help with this!
biggrin.gif

-Edit

I already have all of this done except the I can't get Starfall to install and I'm on 3.2. And when I boot cIOS downgrader it says "checking network" and then it does some error and just reboots the wii. Before you ask yes it's on wifi.

srmagus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thawkins1 said:
Great thread for anyone who need help with this!
biggrin.gif

-Edit

I already have all of this done except the I can't get Starfall to install and I'm on 3.2. And when I boot cIOS downgrader it says "checking network" and then it does some error and just reboots the wii. Before you ask yes it's on wifi.
I had the same issue. What solved it for me was deleting all the connection settings in my Wii settings, other than the current Wifi I was using. Apparently the cIOS Downgrader couldn't tell that I was using the connection that was third on that list.

miffy93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
**NOTE If you are on firmware 3.4 ONLY, you must delete data.bin and rename Twilight3.4.bin to data.bin before
you copy it over. This ensures you are using the correct version of the hack. You must run Zelda right after you
copy the hack over or the system menu will delete it and you will have to copy it over again.
+Once the hacked save file is copied over, run Zelda. Talk to the nearby man or walk backwards to initiate
the install of the homebrew channel (which is the boot.dol in the root of your SD card)

Hi - Just a quick question on this part (above), I've copied everything over to my SD card but i'm not sure which data.bin I am supposed to be deleting.

If I am on 3.4E does that mean I go into the private/wii/title/rzde directory & delete the data.bin in there (and then rename the other file to data.bin)?

It says to run zelda as soon as i've copied the hack over - does that mean copying the renamed data.bin from the sd card onto the wii - then running zelda - then loading the save?

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
miffy93 said:

Hi - Just a quick question on this part (above), I've copied everything over to my SD card but i'm not sure which data.bin I am supposed to be deleting.

If I am on 3.4E does that mean I go into the private/wii/title/rzde directory & delete the data.bin in there (and then rename the other file to data.bin)?

It says to run zelda as soon as i've copied the hack over - does that mean copying the renamed data.bin from the sd card onto the wii - then running zelda - then loading the save?
walk to the man and talk to him the hack will start
wink.gif

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice TuT ill be using this on my friends wii he is on 3.3 and ive been looking for a noob proof TUT as ive never done a downgrade on a wii before

miffy93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nicksasa said:
miffy93 said:

walk to the man and talk to him the hack will start
wink.gif

Just wanted to make sure I was copying over the correct hack for my system.

I've just noticed that when I copy an existing TP savefile from the wii to the SD it is in the RZDP directory - so i'm assuming that that is the one from the hack I need to copy back to my SD.

Does that mean I can delete the other directories off the SD card (ie the rzde & the rzdj directories)?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice one. Imo you should add a step for installing the twilight hack again after they've downgraded from 3.4 to 3.2. How I know these Noobs they will go wild with wads after they've downgraded and eventually brick their Wiis. So they should really have the twilight hack on there...

Sky111

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the tutorial!

Can I do this tutorial without internet connection, downloading files in my SD?

FISHERMAN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished the procedure and i am in 3.2E again. Now i am installing some wads (games). I just want to make a question. I have wiikey and until now everything works ok. If i install the gamma loader would i benefit from anything? Also i disabled the disk update feature but what about games that ask for an update to play? or games that they just update minor things to play e.g Boogie if i remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...