Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

michaelcr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi i am kind of new to wii mods and dml... i have searched all over the internet but havent been able to find an answer or solution to my problem. The problem is that i am playing pokemon xd gale of darkness from an sd card on my wii. everything works fine except one thing, and that is that the audio in the game loops back 5 seconds or so making it sound like a broken record. eventually it is able to load up new screens but when i change maps it takes as much as 10 minutes to load the map. this is not because of the graphics running slow because the game runs at full speed video wise. i am still able to play the game and save/load game. when in a battle the graphic run smoothly but the audio loops making loading times extremely long. i havent been able to find a fix for this anywhere. i am using dml r56 and loading from dm booter 24 my wii is 4.3 u and the iso is ntsc u 1.35GB and my sd card is a 2GB sandisk. i am not using nmm or nodisc.

thanks in advance for anyone who can help me in any way to solve this problem and if I forgot to mention any info ill be happy to provide it

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet would be to install DML 2.2 form its googlecode page and use the GCReEx tool also provided there to extract the game, instead of running it off the ISO.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm having issues. I have to switch from using Dios Mios v2.2 and cMios Waniko v10 to play either gamecube iso or my retail gamecube games. Now, I've re-installed the Dios Mios v2.2 and neither of my Gamecube isos are loading. I keep getting a black screen after the "dios mios gamecube logo thing." What the hell is going on? It was working yesterday, now it doesn't work at all? Why is this so fing Complicated?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, I'm having issues. I have to switch from using Dios Mios v2.2 and cMios Waniko v10 to play either gamecube iso or my retail gamecube games. Now, I've re-installed the Dios Mios v2.2 and neither of my Gamecube isos are loading. I keep getting a black screen after the "dios mios gamecube logo thing." What the hell is going on? It was working yesterday, now it doesn't work at all? Why is this so fing Complicated?
Hmm, another problem I'd like to get to the bottom of ... DM(L) v2.2 is supposed to run retail disks by itself as long as the USB (in the case of DM) is plugged in when trying to run the game but you're not the first person complaining that retail games no longer work for them.

- About how many times have you switched between the cMIOS and DM?
- When you switch, do you just install the new WAD over the top of the other?
- Have you tried UN-installing the WAD first (either one) and then installing the new WAD?

I'm rather curious about why this happens to some people.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, another problem I'd like to get to the bottom of ... DM(L) v2.2 is supposed to run retail disks by itself as long as the USB (in the case of DM) is plugged in when trying to run the game but you're not the first person complaining that retail games no longer work for them.

- About how many times have you switched between the cMIOS and DM?
- When you switch, do you just install the new WAD over the top of the other?
- Have you tried UN-installing the WAD first (either one) and then installing the new WAD?

I'm rather curious about why this happens to some people.

By now, I've re-installed the Dios Mios v2.2 over the current WAD about 5 times now. Still gives me a black screen after the splash screen. I can't just do an un-install of the Dios Mios/cMios/Mios as MMM keeps saying there is an error when I try to do an un-install. So far, switching between the wads has worked fine for me till today. I do not understand what the hell is going on. Either that or DIOS MIOS is just buggy as hell and doesn't work like it SHOULD!!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
By now, I've re-installed the Dios Mios v2.2 over the current WAD about 5 times now. Still gives me a black screen after the splash screen. I can't just do an un-install of the Dios Mios/cMios/Mios as MMM keeps saying there is an error when I try to do an un-install. So far, switching between the wads has worked fine for me till today. I do not understand what the hell is going on. Either that or DIOS MIOS is just buggy as hell and doesn't work like it SHOULD!!
At least to give the UN-install method a try (maybe you can get Dios-Mios to run USB games AND retail games) use one of the traditional WAD Managers (like Yet Another WAD Manager Mod which you can get through ModMii).
The first thing it will ask is which IOS to load. Set it to 249 (which should avoid the error) and then go through the rest of the steps normally.
Select the file with A, select "uninstall" and press A again. Then go back and do it again, selecting "install" this time.

I really don't know if it'll work but it's worth a shot. It'd be nice to be able to load retail disks AND load through USB with the same MIOS (ALSO doing DVD-R for GC with the same MIOS, unfortunately, is out of the question.)

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At least to give the UN-install method a try (maybe you can get Dios-Mios to run USB games AND retail games) use one of the traditional WAD Managers (like Yet Another WAD Manager Mod which you can get through ModMii).
The first thing it will ask is which IOS to load. Set it to 249 (which should avoid the error) and then go through the rest of the steps normally.
Select the file with A, select "uninstall" and press A again. Then go back and do it again, selecting "install" this time.

I really don't know if it'll work but it's worth a shot. It'd be nice to be able to load retail disks AND load through USB with the same MIOS (ALSO doing DVD-R for GC with the same MIOS, unfortunately, is out of the question.)

OKay, what part of "I'M NOT ABLE TO UN-INSTALL THE DIOS MIOS" do you not get? Wad Manager and Mult-Mod Manage, keep saying "I CAN'T.".

And what do you mean load 249. Load 249 what? I didn't used to have to do that before. What the hell are you talking about? And how the hell do I set this "249" to whtever.

*sigh* this Dios Mios is just not worth the head ache. I'm better off jsut burning gamecube iso's to disk. Least that way, I know for a FACT, this method actualy WORKS!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
OKay, what part of "I'M NOT ABLE TO UN-INSTALL THE DIOS MIOS" do you not get? Wad Manager and Mult-Mod Manage, keep saying "I CAN'T.".
And what do you mean load 249. Load 249 what? I didn't used to have to do that before. What the hell are you talking about? And how the hell do I set this "249" to whtever.
*sigh* this Dios Mios is just not worth the head ache. I'm better off jsut burning gamecube iso's to disk. Least that way, I know for a FACT, this method actualy WORKS!
I think MMM either runs under IOS58 that it get's from the HBC or IOS236 which sometimes causes the problem of ONLY having permission to INSTALL a WAD file and NOT being able to UN-install a WAD

...Assuming this was the reason you can't ...

I was suggesting a method that would have IOS249 running when using the WAD Manager which WOULD give it permission to UN-install the MIOS and make sure the installation of DIOS-MIOS would be completely clean. I suggested using that WAD Manager because it will ask you which IOS to have running EVERY time you run it so there's no question what's happening.

If you've already tried it or don't want to, no worries.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think MMM either runs under IOS58 that it get's from the HBC or IOS236 which sometimes causes the problem of ONLY having permission to INSTALL a WAD file and NOT being able to UN-install a WAD

...Assuming this was the reason you can't ...

I was suggesting a method that would have IOS249 running when using the WAD Manager which WOULD give it permission to UN-install the MIOS and make sure the installation of DIOS-MIOS would be completely clean. I suggested using that WAD Manager because it will ask you which IOS to have running EVERY time you run it so there's no question what's happening.

If you've already tried it or don't want to, no worries.

I'm not able to UNISTALL the MIOS wad. Other wads, I can handle. Wad manager, MMM< it's the same result. Now i'm just having issues of getting black screens for my gamecubes iso's after the DIOS MIOS splash screen. I'm unable to Vexx or Teen Titans to work, so far, I was finallly able to get my other iso's to work. Why the hell is this happening? I just want my GC iso games to work like they should. I mean, it that really so much to ask?

Note: Vexx USA gcm keeps giving me a blue screen after the DIOS MIOS splash screen. Why is this happening?

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I get a 403 error when i connect to my google account and try to download the latest DML package. This is kinda frustratring since the old version doens't work, or atleast i can't get it to work and i've softmodded many Wii's without any issues. I followed all the steps from the tutorial but keep getting a black screen when i want to load the Gamecube iso. And also the compressor program does not create a folder when i drag and drop the Iso in it.

Is there any other place where i can download the latest DML package? Cause it is driving me crazy.

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks a lot!
I want to play from sd so i only need 2.2 lite and discex v09 right?

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed it and now my Wii goes black when i try to play iether a retail gc or the compressed iso. I am starting to dislike DIOS MIOS.

Isn't it ironic, i wanted to be able to play Game Cube games from sd and now i can't even play retail discs anymore. I uninstalled everything but still the screen goes black as soon as i want to play a game cube game. I fixed this by running batch v 3 which comes with the mod any Wii package.

After trying and searching some more i am now so far that usb loader gx finds the desired iso (smash bros mellee) but when i start the game the screen goes black. I have messed arround with the settings without succes. Can anybody help me?

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still no succes, i simply ran out of options and installed batch 3 again so i can atleast play retail games. :)

Edit: i formatted the sd fat 32, ran through the guide once more, followed all the steps and i still get a black screen.
After Smash Bros I tried Twilight Princess and again the screen goes black. Been trying some more without succes.
My best gues is to try version 2.0 cause i am sick of seeing the same screen.

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For complete noobs like me i can advise this guide cause after struggling for days i finally was able to load Twilight Princess! It froze after a few seconds and i am compressing Smash Bros as we speak to check if it was due to a bad rip.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
This has probably been asked countless times, but if you know how to get retail Gamecube games to work again after installing this, could you add it somewhere in your tut in case things go wrong?

It's weird, my HDD was partitioned at NTFS/WBFS before, and it found my GC games through Wiiflow, but it just went to a black screen when I tried loading 2 different GC backups.

I read your USB has to be FAT32. So I then formatted my NTFS partition to ExFAT which didn't pick up anything when I went through to Wiiflow (it just asked for the partition which didn't work). I didn't really think ExFAT would work anyway, seeing as it's not FAT 32. So I formatted it again back to NTFS, but this time it won't recognize the GC games. (I made a 'games' folder on the ROOT of my NTFS partition (like before) and put my GC games into separate folders and named each ISO 'game' again, but this time it didn't work.

I then tried loading my retail GC disc into the Wii, but it went black screen too, what exactly do I need to install to get it to load as normal again?
I think I'd rather try this GC from USB thing at a later date, when it hopefully has an easier format to follow :(

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Still no succes, i simply ran out of options and installed batch 3 again so i can atleast play retail games. :)

Edit: i formatted the sd fat 32, ran through the guide once more, followed all the steps and i still get a black screen.
After Smash Bros I tried Twilight Princess and again the screen goes black. Been trying some more without succes.
My best gues is to try version 2.0 cause i am sick of seeing the same screen.
What's Batch 3?
I'm having problems with black screens on retail GC discs too now, I just want them to work and forget about loading GC discs from USB until it's easier to do.

funkymonkey515

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has probably been asked countless times, but if you know how to get retail Gamecube games to work again after installing this, could you add it somewhere in your tut in case things go wrong?

It's weird, my HDD was partitioned at NTFS/WBFS before, and it found my GC games through Wiiflow, but it just went to a black screen when I tried loading 2 different GC backups.

I read your USB has to be FAT32. So I then formatted my NTFS partition to ExFAT which didn't pick up anything when I went through to Wiiflow (it just asked for the partition which didn't work). I didn't really think ExFAT would work anyway, seeing as it's not FAT 32. So I formatted it again back to NTFS, but this time it won't recognize the GC games. (I made a 'games' folder on the ROOT of my NTFS partition (like before) and put my GC games into separate folders and named each ISO 'game' again, but this time it didn't work.

I then tried loading my retail GC disc into the Wii, but it went black screen too, what exactly do I need to install to get it to load as normal again?
I think I'd rather try this GC from USB thing at a later date, when it hopefully has an easier format to follow :(

Instead of using the normal windows one I used WBFS Manager (link here http://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/) and formatted my drive to FAT32 with 32kb sectors and after that my games worked. Also, make sure that your FAT 32 Partition is the first partition.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_