Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, I've spend over two evenings trying to get my GameCube-games showing up in Configurable USB Loader, but still nothing at all. Hopefully someone can help me, I explain it as detailed as possible.

First of all, I own a European Wii, bought in 2006 (old model), softmodded since it was first possible and updated the softmod in 2009 to firmware 4.0E. Last weekend, I decided it was time for another update so I followed theModify any Wii topic. I followed the guide step by step (update to 4.2, Bannerbomb, NAND-backup, cIOS installing and patching and Priiloader. I did not re-install HBC at the end since it worked fine (also at IOS58) and did not delete or change the apps on my SD card.

After that, I changed my HDD from WBFS to FAT32 (wbfs2fat-0.8.5.tar.bz2) without formatting the drive or changing any standard options. Everything worked fine afterwards, all Wii-ISO's appeared as WBFS and all softmod-stuff worked like before.

For GameCube USB-loading, I installed the Dios Mios 2.0 version 5 WAD without any problems. I created a folder on my USB-harddrive (the one mentioned above) called "games" and tried multiple solutions:
- USB:\games\NARUTO4\*unpacked ISO folders and files
- USB:\games\[GAMEID] NARUTO4\*unpacked ISO folders and files
- USB:\games\NARUTO4 [GAMEID]\*unpacked ISO folders and files

The above options are alse tested with the ISO renamed to game.iso instead of the extracted files. The harddrive has only one partition, so ofcourse it's the primary one.

But none of them work. The folders contain the extracted info from the GameCube ISO's, I used gcit_Win32_Build5 for it. I used http://gbatemp.net/t...mios-lite/]This guide[/url] but it's not that clear to me. I also tried some other topics like http://gbatemp.net/t...msearch__1]this one[/url] but I still can't get it to work.

Note that I don't experience crashes, black screens or whatsoever, Configurable USB Loader v70 (release) just doesn't show the games at all (it shows and plays Wii games fine).

Hopefully someone can help, it is really appreciated!
CFG v70 doesn't support DM since v70 was released before DM. You need one of the later beta builds (AT LEAST r35 beta2) you can get them over at the main CFG thread.

kroam12

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CFG v70 doesn't support DM since v70 was released before DM. You need one of the later beta builds (AT LEAST r35 beta2) you can get them over at the main CFG thread.
Wow, to think the solution was that simple, I've probably overlooked that detail. It works now, thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry if its been asked but does having a memory card inserted cancel out NMM? i used NMM for a few games then bought a memory card but now cant load the saves that were made using NMM :( (DML via usb hdd and cfg)
It might depend on the loader you are using, but NMM is not automatically enabled if you don't have a memory card, and is not automatically disabled either if you have a memory card. But it automatically disabled if you have a memory card inserted.

just try removing the card and see if it fix your problem?

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having some serious problems with this. Every time I reach a loading screen in a game (or anywhere that requires loading, such as entering a new room/area), the Wii either reboots or hangs on a black screen until I turn it off.

I'm using DIOS-MIOS Loader and that latest DIOS-MIOS. Happens both when loading from SD and USB. Has anyone else experienced this?

It *does* work, once in about 15 times under a full moon while sacrificing a virgin.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I try to follow the scattered/outdated guides as best as I can, but I can't get the games to boot. I installed the dml 2.2 wad, MMM says it was successful, so then I go into DM-booter, all the games are listed, I click on a game and then nothing. Just a black screen. I tried using DML 1.4b instead, but it just went to some kind of GC loader splash screen and froze. My Wii is the oldest kind possible. 32gb Sandisk class 10. Every game I try is supposed to be perfectly compatible with DML.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I try to follow the scattered/outdated guides as best as I can, but I can't get the games to boot. I installed the dml 2.2 wad, MMM says it was successful, so then I go into DM-booter, all the games are listed, I click on a game and then nothing. Just a black screen. I tried using DML 1.4b instead, but it just went to some kind of GC loader splash screen and froze. My Wii is the oldest kind possible. 32gb Sandisk class 10. Every game I try is supposed to be perfectly compatible with DML.
If you're really unlucky, there are some SD cards that DML 1.0 and higher are just NOT compatible with and no one's figured out why as of yet AND there are USB-to-IDE and USB-to-SATA devices on different hard drives that DM is just not compatible.

With DML, if that's your issue, the last version without the SD compatibility issues is r59mod. You can get what you need to build the WAD here :
http://www.mediafire.com/?qk17b9hubiki4v7
Also, it needs to be formatted as FAT32 or FAT16 with 64k or smaller clusters (bigger won't work)

With DM, there are some other things that cause the same symptoms : the partition the games are on must be ...
- the first partition. (first in the MBR, just to be sure ... if it's the only partition it should be good)
- a primary partition (not an extended or logical partition)
- FAT32 with 32k clusters (smaller clusters work. Bigger don't. I think FAT16 works, too. NTFS doesn't.)
- a basic(MBR) disk (dynamic disk won't work)

xenomega

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have simular issues of the above posters.

I have spent two days so far and I am unable to play Skies of Arcadia. (Skies of Arcadia shows green in the compatibility chart)
Skies of Arcadia is the only Gamecube game I want to play and i tested the iso in Dolphin emulater and it works fine... just the sound is terrible due to the emulater.

I have read and followed a few guides and nothing works. It shows the game but when I try to run it, no matter what I do, all I get is a black screen. Most of the time forcing me to power my wii off manually.

I have tried:

DM and DML (newest versions 2.2) A lot of guides have invalid DM links btw.
SD and USB (SD is San disk 2gb, USB is a 32GB PNY)
DM loader, usb loader, and usb loader gx. (all newest verions)

Everything has been followed to the letter in the guides, I have gone over them three times each.
I can play all my backup Wii and Virtual games fine but I can't get Skies of Arcadia to work.
I dont have any preference, just what do I download to get it working.

Thank you for reading. Pretty much any helpfull information is apperciated.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're really unlucky, there are some SD cards that DML 1.0 and higher are just NOT compatible with and no one's figured out why as of yet AND there are USB-to-IDE and USB-to-SATA devices on different hard drives that DM is just not compatible.

With DML, if that's your issue, the last version without the SD compatibility issues is r59mod. You can get what you need to build the WAD here :
http://www.mediafire...qk17b9hubiki4v7
Also, it needs to be formatted as FAT32 or FAT16 with 64k or smaller clusters (bigger won't work)
Used the create_wad.bat to make the wad, then installed it. Now when I try to launch a game I get no signal at all.

I dont have any preference, just what do I download to get it working.
Seriously haha, sometimes Wii hacking is so irritating.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Used the create_wad.bat to make the wad, then installed it. Now when I try to launch a game I get no signal at all.
Wii power still on and no signal at all (where you can still hear the sound effects from the game perhaps?) happens sometimes with forcing progressive mode without component cables or with an out of region game (PAL game on a NTSC Wii or NTSC game on a PAL Wii ... I'd guess the first in your case if your country flag is set right in your profile) try messing with the force video mode settings in your loader. I'd suggest forcing the same region as the game if your TV supports it but play around with it. Some games work differently than others with this.

NovaRyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any particular path for the GC games to be on the hard drive?

As is it looks only like this:
/F:
apps
USB-loader
Wbfs

I've installed the Dios Mios 2.2 wad and I am unable to get Wind Waker running from my external drive via CFG USB loader. I'm compressed it using GameCubeISOcompress-v0.2-win32 which I also got form this topic, I'm thinkign the reason i am unable to view the file in the game library is that I don't have the file path set right, shoudl there be a specific folder or option I set for CFG to run it?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

/F:
apps
USB-loader
Wbfs

I've installed the Dios Mios 2.2 wad and I am unable to get Wind Waker running from my external drive via CFG USB loader. I'm compressed it using GameCubeISOcompress-v0.2-win32 which I also got form this topic, I'm thinkign the reason i am unable to view the file in the game library is that I don't have the file path set right, shoudl there be a specific folder or option I set for CFG to run it?
Most loaders are compatible with the path
USB1:/games/folder-name/game.iso
Where you only change the "folder-name" between one game and another. To be MOST compatible I think the folder name would be the same as the GameID for each game.

NovaRyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

/F:
apps
USB-loader
Wbfs

Most loaders are compatible with the path
USB1:/games/folder-name/game.iso
Where you only change the "folder-name" between one game and another. To be MOST compatible I think the folder name would be the same as the GameID for each game.

I was actually able to cheat. I had it copy Sonic Adventure 2 to the drive and just copied the games I had backed up to the USB/GAMES folder.

However where might I find a memory manager to allow me to save GC games to the SD card instead of needing a memory card for the GC? I've been unable to locate my GC memory card for a long time.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
However where might I find a memory manager to allow me to save GC games to the SD card instead of needing a memory card for the GC? I've been unable to locate my GC memory card for a long time.
In the loader there should be a option called NMM that stands for No More Memory(cards) which will save the game saves to the same place the disk images are stored (The hard drive in this case) instead of a GC memory card but it doesn't work for all games yet. It's still a work in progress. You'll just have to try it and see which games it works for.

NovaRyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the loader there should be a option called NMM that stands for No More Memory(cards) which will save the game saves to the same place the disk images are stored (The hard drive in this case) instead of a GC memory card but it doesn't work for all games yet. It's still a work in progress. You'll just have to try it and see which games it works for.
I was actually looking for this, although it helps if I was looking in OPTIONS and not manage. xD

NovaRyu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance you know of a way to convert GCI saves to a format readable by NMM? My real memory card was lost in a move but I've hung onto backups of most of my saves, namely Phantasy Star Online(:(), Double Dash!!, and Melee :D

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Any chance you know of a way to convert GCI saves to a format readable by NMM? My real memory card was lost in a move but I've hung onto backups of most of my saves, namely Phantasy Star Online( :(), Double Dash!!, and Melee :D
I've never tried it but the tool that's supposed to do it is the last one on the google code download page here
http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
It's the one called "gci2nmm"

demon33

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
when formatting my usb hdd to 32k , is it possible that my drive don't like that? 'cause it gives me errors with read / write .... works fine before....

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when formatting my usb hdd to 32k , is it possible that my drive don't like that? 'cause it gives me errors with read / write .... works fine before....
Actually, that should be the more compatible cluster size (compared to 64K). Did you also change file system, e.g., from WBFS to FAT32?

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Help Please. I'm trying to lauch my GC iso using Dios Mios Booster. Everytime I try to launch any game it keeps giving me an error "Fatal Error AppLoader Size is Zero" and just stays on the screen. What does this mean? I've followed the instructions, I installed the latest Dios-Mios Wad, i put the iso into Gamecube ISO Compressor, and I tried launching the game but nothing it working? I even tried Configurable USB loader but it keeps saying my SD card is too small. Which makes no sense since I"m using a USB Loader instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro