Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just install a clean MIOS(and BC? Might not be needed) from NUSD. Or use Modmii to download it for you. Then just install the wad.

tommyv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just install a clean MIOS(and BC? Might not be needed) from NUSD. Or use Modmii to download it for you. Then just install the wad.

What mios do I have to reinstall? Mios v10? what files are modified when installin DM or DML?

Moeca10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
USB Loader GX finds the Gamecube games I have on the USB HDD, but when i press "load from USB" the screen goes black and the Wii turns off. No DIOS MIOS logo at all.
I have installed DIOSMIOS.wad file and updated USB Loader GX.
In the "credits" part of USB GX at the top right of my screen it says "Rev1191 IOS249 (Rev 21008) (d2x v8final base56)", is this the right settings?

I have been obsessing this issue for the last week and it really annoys me that I can't find out what's wrong.

I also tried using DIOS MIOS Booter, same result. I have tried with original GC disc in the drive and without. The GC file in the USB is PAL, same as my Wii.

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it so much.. :) Thanks for your time guys

demon33

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
update 5 up :)

Zelda master quest & collector edition now work !!

But with a disc in drive ;)

Gone playing ......

Alonorin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I've been trying for hours to fix this, and yes I've looked through the thread.

So my problem is, I've made backups of a couple of my games, and some of them will show up in USBLoader GX, and some won't, and none of them will show up in CFG Loader. Of course with Dios-Mios Booter everything shows up, but I really like the USBLoader GX interface.

So I am trying to use DML to load GC games from my SD, which are stored in SD:/games/gameID/game.iso. (Sys folder is there with all necessary files as well). I used DiscEx to generate these folders.

Now like I said earlier, some of my games show up just fine in loaders, but other don't:

Working Games: Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (Zelda 1, 2, OoT, MM)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine.

Games that don't show:
Pokemon XD
Tales of Symphonia (Disk 1 and 2)
Phantasy Star Online 1&2 +

I could really use some help with this.

(I have also tried using some of the other compression tools, to no avail)

Forgot to mention that I am using up to date versions of everything involved.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'll ask again. Do I have to have a first party controller for this to work?
There are some people that say that certain 3rd party controllers cause problems
however
I think it was yesterday that someone reported that their problem of having the controller lock up on them was simply solved by playing a retail gamecube game once from the disk channel. After that his control worked fine for USB games.

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll ask again. Do I have to have a first party controller for this to work?
There are some people that say that certain 3rd party controllers cause problems
however
I think it was yesterday that someone reported that their problem of having the controller lock up on them was simply solved by playing a retail gamecube game once from the disk channel. After that his control worked fine for USB games.

Thanks I'll try that!

jassim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having a problem.

I installed DIOS MIOS and I've been using it for a few days, but now all of the sudden, when I boot a gamecube game, the screen suddenly shifts itself to the left by about 3cm and stays like that, it's very annoying.

I'm using postloader and I've tried this with Geist, F zero GX and harry potter and the philosophers stone

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just for a quick mention and clarification. because I didn't know this, so im sure there are others as well.
"games" folder on root > "[gameIDxx] gameName"> game.iso
if you have .GCM use Gamecube ISO Compress. it works with GCM as well.
if games are already in .ISO format, no need to compress, just get the folders set up to have the game id in the "[ ]" and your good.
Might want to add this to first post.

tommyv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

Could someone tell me what files are replaced when you Install either DM or DML? is it just replacing MIOS v10? or is it somehing else modified on the Wii?

The reason I ask is because I like to keep track of what is modified on my Wii, that way I can go back in case of trouble.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm having a problem.

I installed DIOS MIOS and I've been using it for a few days, but now all of the sudden, when I boot a gamecube game, the screen suddenly shifts itself to the left by about 3cm and stays like that, it's very annoying.

I'm using postloader and I've tried this with Geist, F zero GX and harry potter and the philosophers stone
Just a hunch, are you using a widescreen TV? It could be trying to center a non-widescreen image. Someone might have changed the TV settings recently. Otherwise, that's just really weird.
just for a quick mention and clarification. because I didn't know this, so im sure there are others as well.
if games are already in .ISO format, no need to compress, just get the folders set up to have the game id in the "[ ]" and your good.
Actually, a GCM file IS an ISO file. If you just rename the .gcm at the end to .iso it will work just fine.
The folder name can be anything you want, actually. (/games/blah-blah/) It only matters when you're using cheats. In that case the it HAS to be JUST the GameID (not even the "[ ]" brackets) and the cheat file you HAVE to name with the GameID, too. The last part your loader might do for you but it still won't work without the right folder name.
Hi.
Could someone tell me what files are replaced when you Install either DM or DML? is it just replacing MIOS v10? or is it somehing else modified on the Wii?
The reason I ask is because I like to keep track of what is modified on my Wii, that way I can go back in case of trouble.
Yup, just the MIOS.
There is a minor detail since most MIOS install content #00 and #01 but when you install a later version of DM it installs as content #11 and #12 so it might not COMPLETELY overwrite the old MIOS, it would just add to it. At that point it might still run the old MIOS even though the new one is installed.
This is simply fixed by uninstalling the MIOS and then reinstalling the desired new MIOS, but it's still only installed as a MIOS. No other parts installed.

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, a GCM file IS an ISO file. If you just rename the .gcm at the end to .iso it will work just fine.
The folder name can be anything you want, actually. (/games/blah-blah/) It only matters when you're using cheats. In that case the it HAS to be JUST the GameID (not even the "[ ]" brackets) and the cheat file you HAVE to name with the GameID, too. The last part your loader might do for you but it still won't work without the right folder name.

ah, well when i put the games in the game folder, i didn't know that a .gcm was an iso, silly me. but when I put them in a folder with their game name. i put my luigi's mansion into a folder titled "luigi's mansion". and nothing came up on the loader. so idk what that was all about. anyway thanks for the info and letting me know that i was incorrect. but info like this would be a bit helpful.

Reactions: 1 person

funkymonkey515

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, well when i put the games in the game folder, i didn't know that a .gcm was an iso, silly me. but when I put them in a folder with their game name. i put my luigi's mansion into a folder titled "luigi's mansion". and nothing came up on the loader. so idk what that was all about. anyway thanks for the info and letting me know that i was incorrect. but info like this would be a bit helpful.

I think that the iso file has to be named game (or game.iso if you can see the full name.) But I'm not sure

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I think that the iso file has to be named game (or game.iso if you can see the full name.) But I'm not sure
That's right. The file has to be named "game.iso". It's the folder it's in that can be named whatever you want (unless you're wanting to use cheats or are running it through xNEEK. There might be other exceptions, too but those are the only ones I can think of.)

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
sorry if its been asked but does having a memory card inserted cancel out NMM? i used NMM for a few games then bought a memory card but now cant load the saves that were made using NMM :( (DML via usb hdd and cfg)

fergambo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After tutorial, I've tried and DML 2.0 works fine. Only two issues:

- PoP Two Thrones PAL: Black screen after DIOS MIOS logo,
- Resident Evil Zero PAL works sound but no image (black screen)

I'd appreciate any idea...

By the way, trying DML 2.1 I get a green screen after DIOS MIOS logo in any game...

kroam12

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, I've spend over two evenings trying to get my GameCube-games showing up in Configurable USB Loader, but still nothing at all. Hopefully someone can help me, I explain it as detailed as possible.

First of all, I own a European Wii, bought in 2006 (old model), softmodded since it was first possible and updated the softmod in 2009 to firmware 4.0E. Last weekend, I decided it was time for another update so I followed theModify any Wii topic. I followed the guide step by step (update to 4.2, Bannerbomb, NAND-backup, cIOS installing and patching and Priiloader. I did not re-install HBC at the end since it worked fine (also at IOS58) and did not delete or change the apps on my SD card.

After that, I changed my HDD from WBFS to FAT32 (wbfs2fat-0.8.5.tar.bz2) without formatting the drive or changing any standard options. Everything worked fine afterwards, all Wii-ISO's appeared as WBFS and all softmod-stuff worked like before.

For GameCube USB-loading, I installed the Dios Mios 2.0 version 5 WAD without any problems. I created a folder on my USB-harddrive (the one mentioned above) called "games" and tried multiple solutions:
- USB:\games\NARUTO4\*unpacked ISO folders and files
- USB:\games\[GAMEID] NARUTO4\*unpacked ISO folders and files
- USB:\games\NARUTO4 [GAMEID]\*unpacked ISO folders and files

The above options are alse tested with the ISO renamed to game.iso instead of the extracted files. The harddrive has only one partition, so ofcourse it's the primary one.

But none of them work. The folders contain the extracted info from the GameCube ISO's, I used gcit_Win32_Build5 for it. I used http://gbatemp.net/t...mios-lite/]This guide[/url] but it's not that clear to me. I also tried some other topics like http://gbatemp.net/t...msearch__1]this one[/url] but I still can't get it to work.

Note that I don't experience crashes, black screens or whatsoever, Configurable USB Loader v70 (release) just doesn't show the games at all (it shows and plays Wii games fine).

Hopefully someone can help, it is really appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hitorikuroi @ hitorikuroi: @K3Nv2, the answer about life is that it sucks