How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Krishna Pathak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Thanks, Conmore, for the guide.

WiiFlow never worked (Disc_Wait Failed) but I got super close with CFG USB Loader. I remembered to set DML to DM.

DIOSMIOS v2.8 never successfully installed for me with MMM/YAWMM but 2.9 and 2.10 did with WAD Manager GUI. But whichever was installed, whether 2.9 or 2.10, I got a black screen (with a lot of random code scrolling) whenever I tried to launch a game. I've tried loading with different IOS's (249/250)...anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: I used DMLizard on one of the games and instead of getting to a black screen this time, it hung at the blue screen with the cover art after I pushed start.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

WII:
1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:

WII:

6.) Launch your game!

Silithas

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes they can, you just have to format the card to fat32 (they come in exFAT and the Wii software can't read that.)

Good :) CAuse in august i will be getting quite some money, and then im going to get sdcards for all my devices including;

32gb for 3ds
120gb sdxc for my wii
64gb sdxc for my android
And a 64gb sdxc for my upcoming nvidia shield.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good :) CAuse in august i will be getting quite some money, and then im going to get sdcards for all my devices including;

32gb for 3ds
120gb sdxc for my wii
64gb sdxc for my android
And a 64gb sdxc for my upcoming nvidia shield.

I don't understand? Holy crap don't do that.

what I would do:

For the Wii: you will need a simple 2gb SD card + a 500GB HDD with it's own power supply (plus a soft-moded Wii) . Even if a MASSIVE/EXPENSIVE sd card worked in the Wii (in which I don't know), games would not run as fast and or properly on an SD card yet (prolly ever).

For the 3DS: an acekard 2i to play ds games + the new gateway flashcart that can play 3ds games + two micro sd's (usb and or sd adapter) possible size restrictions on micro sd's (a 3ds not updated past a certain version possibly).

And whatever you are planning with the android and nvidia shield, I would guess that it is also a bust.

DO NOT BUY THESE MASSIVE SD CARDS, $30-$150 price range depending on size...noooooo no no

Read my post above and the Original Post for help softmodding your Wii

thatduderonald

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

WII:

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:

WII:

6.) Launch your game!

There is no DMToolbox.exe in the DM folder!!

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, this thread is about DM(L), not Devolution and DM(L) does not have WiiMote support.

well you may confuse people when you say that, the launchers have wii mote supports, and if you launch a wii game off your hdd, the wii mote will obviously work as normal...

Jerret Douglass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said to change WiiFlow partition to USB1 and hit B then click the Game Cube icon. What icon are you talking about? I see the regular setting icons and all my Wii games...

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish somebody would post an exclusive thread on how to play games from your USB. I've followed nearly every video/tutorial I could find and I'm still not able to play them on my Wii. I'll just play them on my computer until I figure this out.
You said to change WiiFlow partition to USB1 and hit B then click the Game Cube icon. What icon are you talking about? I see the regular setting icons and all my Wii games...

When you hit B, there will be five options: three on the top and two on the bottom. It's the middle one on the top row. Or, you can click the icon at the bottom right hand at the screen and it will cycle through the options that are available through the B menu.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I wish somebody would post an exclusive thread on how to play games from your USB. I've followed nearly every video/tutorial I could find and I'm still not able to play them on my Wii. I'll just play them on my computer until I figure this out.

When you hit B, there will be five options: three on the top and two on the bottom. It's the middle one on the top row. Or, you can click the icon at the bottom right hand at the screen and it will cycle through the options that are available through the B menu.
1 - Format HDD as FAT32, a single partition.

2 - Install DIOS MIOS onto your Wii.

3 - Install the latest version of your preferred USB loader, especially if it's a beta (as these homebrew projects tend to be in beta testing for like 3 months at a time).

4 - Use the program that comes with DIOS MIOS to transfer GC games to the USB.

Profit, etc?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - Format HDD as FAT32, a single partition.

2 - Install DIOS MIOS onto your Wii.

3 - Install the latest version of your preferred USB loader, especially if it's a beta (as these homebrew projects tend to be in beta testing for like 3 months at a time).

4 - Use the program that comes with DIOS MIOS to transfer GC games to the USB.

Profit, etc?

1 - Done.

2 - Is DIOS MIOS supposed to be installed on IOS236 or 248? (I read somewhere that 249 was a stub) Or is it just supposed to go on 58? And does it matter where the location of the file is? I have a wad folder in the root of the card and one in the apps. And then, do I have to install RVL-BC6 on the same IOS that DM is on?

3 - I have the latest version of WiiFlow and CFG USBLoader.

4 - All my games are transported; they just don't load.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1 - Done.

2 - Is DIOS MIOS supposed to be installed on IOS236 or 248? (I read somewhere that 249 was a stub) Or is it just supposed to go on 58? And does it matter where the location of the file is? I have a wad folder in the root of the card and one in the apps. And then, do I have to install RVL-BC6 on the same IOS that DM is on?

Look at the second post on this page (my post), see if there is something in there that can help you out. I pretty much put everything in it. My post tells you how to put the games on your hdd properly.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1 - Done.

Look at the second post on this page (my post), see if there is something in there that can help you out. I pretty much put everything in it. My post tells you how to put the games on your hdd properly.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Done.
Fire up a partition manager and show us, since people often have hidden partitions on the drive they don't know about (one of the most common issues).

The IOS selection us just which one is used for install, the default should work fine. DIOS MIOS itself gets installed to the MIOS slot (and there's only one of those).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, a little clarification here,
The IOS is kinda like a little program that runs in the background and when your app can't do something by itself it asks the IOS to do it instead. Different IOS (236, 249, 58, etc) have different things they can do or will give permissions to do. When the WAD manager asks you to chose an IOS it's not asking where to install it. It's asking which one to load in the background and, therefore, which one to USE to install the WAD file with. Each WAD file already knows WHERE it needs to be installed. The trick is it needs to be installed WITH an IOS that will give it permission to install.

Usually the IOS in the 248, 249, 250 area are the ones that are most likely to give a WAD file permission to install so you probably need to choose one of those and then USE it to install your DM and BC files. On your SD card, that WAD folder is where the WAD manager will probably look first so it's probably the safest place to put the WAD files you want to install so that they'll show up on he screen when choosing which file to install.

I'm not sure if that helps you fix what's causing your problem, but it might help.

EDIT : :ph34r:'d

Jerret Douglass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm using WiiFlow and once I turn the main thing to USB1 I hit B and go back to the screen where I see all of my Wii games. I move my controllers and there are a few options across the bottom of the screen. Settings, Burn Disk, Change Load Device, Etc. Etc., the GameCube logo is normally to the bottom left of the scree and I do not have it. I have unmodded my Wii two times now and it has yet to show up. I have the current version of Diosmios and WiiFlow and my USB is formatted correctly and the game file is labeled and put in correctly. I've watched all the youtube videos I can find on this matter and they all suck and lack details.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1 - Done.

I'm using WiiFlow and once I turn the main thing to USB1 I hit B and go back to the screen where I see all of my Wii games. I move my controllers and there are a few options across the bottom of the screen. Settings, Burn Disk, Change Load Device, Etc. Etc., the GameCube logo is normally to the bottom left of the scree and I do not have it. I have unmodded my Wii two times now and it has yet to show up. I have the current version of Diosmios and WiiFlow and my USB is formatted correctly and the game file is labeled and put in correctly. I've watched all the youtube videos I can find on this matter and they all suck and lack details.

Use CFG loader with the cfg loader mod .dol file (rename it to boot.dol, copy and replace). read the second post on this page for help.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The default loading device is USB1. Did you download WiiFlow from DMLizard? That's where I got mine from and it works perfectly. You've got a different version than me: I believe there're 2/3 different versions out there.

zTxCrash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything on YouTube explaining how to set this up is garbage. If one of u can make a very detailed video on how to do this it would be very popular.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?