How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, the games shows up fine now, but when i try to launch any of them, the screen just goes black. How come?

I have this same problem; I waited at least three minutes for any one of them to load. The drive is supposed to be hooked in at port 0, but my USB always registers as port 1. I'm not sure how to fix this; I tried switching the ports in the cfg loader, but it said only Hermes supports port switching. Maybe I'll try to install it again, but I dunno; I'm sick of trying to figure it out.

Or, installing the v9 or 10 wad might do it.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v9-10 wad what?

There are 3 DIOS MIOS wads I've encountered; v8 through v10. There are also two other wads that supposedly overwrite the main ios to let your Wii shift into GameCube mode. There's a video on Youtube about this; it's by supersprudel4427; and no, I didn't come up with that username. It's the best video I've seen for this problem.

Silithas

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I do now have 2.10 but i still can't load games cause they allways freeze when i launch them..

How do i remove the installed 2.8 version? Cause i have installed V10, but it still freezes.

And btw, can a wii really use an sdxc card? cause i saw a video of someone having a 120gb sdxc card.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do now have 2.10 but i still can't load games cause they allways freeze when i launch them..

How do i remove the installed 2.8 version? Cause i have installed V10, but it still freezes.

And btw, can a wii really use an sdxc card? cause i saw a video of someone having a 120gb sdxc card.

Go into your wad manager and select the 2.8 wad and select the uninstall option. I don't know about the sdxc cards; ask Joostin. I think they can.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay; well I loaded one my GameCube games from my HDD and instead of giving me a black screen, it redirected me to my system menu. And I've been meaning to ask this for a while: when I load my games in WiiFlow, the source tells me it's running DML on the USB1. Do I need to install the DM wad on IOS58 or could I move the wad to my usb drive? I think that if I put the wad file in the sys(tem) folder, then it'll be loaded with the rest of the games' information.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay; well I loaded one my GameCube games from my HDD and instead of giving me a black screen, it redirected me to my system menu. And I've been meaning to ask this for a while: when I load my games in WiiFlow, the source tells me it's running DML on the USB1. Do I need to install the DM wad on IOS58 or could I move the wad to my usb drive? I think that if I put the wad file in the sys(tem) folder, then it'll be loaded with the rest of the games' information.
You need to install the WAD with a WAD manager. Leaving it on your USB or SD drive it will not be usable by WiiFlow.

Googie2149

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to install the WAD with a WAD manager. Leaving it on your USB or SD drive it will not be usable by WiiFlow.

I'm going to ask for help here. I followed the guide, installed the WAD with a WAD manager, and now I can't play gamecube games anymore. I can't play from WiiFlow, and I can't play from actual retail discs. Both give me a black screen. I had previously tried to figure out how to get this thing working, but all the guides I had found weren't specific and skipped over the parts that were actually advance, saying "install the WAD" without even providing a WAD manager. I'm thinking this is a side effect of me previously messing with this. After I had given up before, starting up a gamecube game would show a giant gamecube logo with the text "DIOS MIOS" or something like that, then continue to the game.

Is there anything I can do to fix my Wii? Wii games still work fine, just gamecube.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there anything I can do to fix my Wii? Wii games still work fine, just gamecube.
Installing the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again, reinstall a cMIOS ..but you can reinstall a new DML or DM again over it, to see if it works for you..

And using the post for a question, do you now Maxternal if I can load GC games from USB and SD using a loader (USB Loader GX), with DM on real nand and DML on a emu nand? (or I need Sneek for that?) ...I don't know if it would mess with my wii saves that are on the HDD's emunand though...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

DML shouldn't have that problem with but DM will need the USB drive plugged in for retail games to work

And using the post for a question, do you now Maxternal if I can load GC games from USB and SD using a loader (USB Loader GX), with DM on real nand and DML on a emu nand? (or I need Sneek for that?) ...I don't know if it would mess with my wii saves that are on the HDD's emunand though...

You need S/UNEEK+DI. There's currently no way for a loader from real NAND to run a disk game from xNEEK. Postloader's auto MIOS install is the closest ATM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme