Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

Absestos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aftnet.net
XP
Country
Italy
@ploggy fair point. Signature updated.

N64 and Saturn are proving troublesome: I managed to get one of Libretro's N64 cores, ParallelN64 to compile, however every attempt at having it run games fails.
The emulator is using libco for multithreading, and every single time it tries to start a new thread the app crashes with memory access exceptions.

I have tried using the architecture specific version as well as the generic Windows one and the result is the same.
I'll try seeing if I get better luck with Mupen64plus, but it too uses libco...

What further complicates matters is that Libco (Windows version) as it is does not compile for UWP, so I have to change it to begin with (and there's a chance I may be screwing it up) AND it's not even a Libretro made library, so they may not know what is causing the issue either.

Saturn emulator is a similarly sad affair: got it to compile after a fair bit of modifications but I can't get it to boot anything: this one is even stranger - something, somehow, is corrupting the stack.
Function parameters get corrupted when calling functions.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

N64 and Saturn are proving troublesome: I managed to get one of Libretro's N64 cores, ParallelN64 to compile, however every attempt at having it run games fails.
The emulator is using libco for multithreading, and every single time it tries to start a new thread the app crashes with memory access exceptions.

I have tried using the architecture specific version as well as the generic Windows one and the result is the same.

What further complicates matters is that Libco (Windows version) as it is does not compile for UWP, so I have to change it to begin with (and there's a chance I may be screwing it up) AND it's not even a Libretro made library, so they may not know what is causing the issue either.

Saturn emulator is a similarly sad affair: got it to compile after a fair bit of modifications but I can't get it to boot anything: this one is even stranger - something, somehow, is corrupting the stack.
I'm sorry things aren't going to plan :( I hope you manage to find a fix (N64 and Saturn would look nice on the Xbox) :)
My only suggestion would be to go on the Retoarch Irc and see if you can maybe work through the issues with them?

Good luck mate we're rooting for you :)

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

@Absestos UWP is a real b**** when it comes to restrictions. I commend you for all of the hard work you have done with RetriX. As a developer myself I understand how frustrating this is. The reality is that some of these emulators need to be totally re-written for the sandbox that is UWP and until they are then they will not work. If it were me I would scrap n64 and saturn for the time being since they don't work and move on to trying to add in other cores.

Perhaps Dreamcast https://www.libretro.com/index.php/tag/dreamcast/ ;) ?
Requires OpenGl and I know that you now have support for OpenGL ES built in to RetriX

Here is a video of the emulator itself in action

Last edited by wiired24,

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
@Absestos @ wiired24 and what about MAME emulation? It may be easier (You need to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with the UWP SDK, as well as the MSYS64 build tools used to build MAME normally. Then you can make the vs2015_uwp target to generate project files to build MAME for UWP).

Btw on Dreamcast emulation for Xbox work xb1emu http://www.xb1emu.com/windce10/kickoff-of-the-dreamcast-emulator-windce10/

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Absestos @ wiired24 and what about MAME emulation? It may be easier (You need to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with the UWP SDK, as well as the MSYS64 build tools used to build MAME normally. Then you can make the vs2015_uwp target to generate project files to build MAME for UWP).

Btw on Dreamcast emulation for Xbox work xb1emu http://www.xb1emu.com/windce10/kickoff-of-the-dreamcast-emulator-windce10/

Why not Dreamcast and MAME? Also just because xb1emu is working on dreamcast emulation doesn't mean that RetriX shouldn't support Dreamcast emulation. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason why RetriX can't support both MAME and Dreamcast

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Why not Dreamcast and MAME? Also just because xb1emu is working on dreamcast emulation doesn't mean that RetriX shouldn't support Dreamcast emulation. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason why RetriX can't support both MAME and Dreamcast
I think there we need to focus on something that is not in development, therefore I wrote about MAME which is very popular.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there we need to focus on something that is not in development, therefore I wrote about MAME which is very popular.

Look here's the thing. Sure they've announced that they're working on it. That doesn't mean that it's actually going to come out at all or that we will see a Dreamcast emulator from them anytime soon. If anything I would argue Dreamcast is even more popuiar than MAME. I can't even recall how many times someone has asked about Reicast or some other dreamcast emulator being ported over to Xbox One. I think MAME has come up maybe once. Again I reiterate my previous position here there is no reason why Retrix cannot support both Dreamcast and MAME.

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even recall how many times someone has asked about Reicast or some other dreamcast emulator being ported over to Xbox One. I think MAME has come up maybe once.

Of the two I would probably pick MAME, but either would be welcome.

Which version of MAME are you working with? The CPU in the XB1 is kinda limited at 1.75ghz, but one of the older cores should work pretty good on it.

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of the two I would probably pick MAME, but either would be welcome.

Which version of MAME are you working with? The CPU in the XB1 is kinda limited at 1.75ghz, but one of the older cores should work pretty good on it.

The latest version of MAME is what I'm going to be pulling. Right now I'm still in the process getting all of the build tools VS 2015 Update 3, msys64, etc

This is going to take longer than I expected to download so I'll do a build tommorow for MAME

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cool :) Although I'll hold off celebrating until it completes successfully ;) I once tried to compile mame for the WiiU and it messed up right at the end (50 mins in) :(
But I wish you luck.

What Mame version is it based on?

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool :) Although I'll hold off celebrating until it completes successfully ;) I once tried to compile mame for the WiiU and it messed up right at the end (50 mins in) :(
But I wish you luck.

What Mame version is it based on?

Oh I'm not celeberating just yet :) Just wanted to let you guys know that I am working on it. I've been impressed with MAME so far. It seems to quite literally have a build for every system lol. And I'm not sure, I guess whatever the latest version of MAME is, that's what I pulled

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I'm not celeberating just yet :) Just wanted to let you guys know that I am working on it. I've been impressed with MAME so far. It seems to quite literally have a build for every system lol. And I'm not sure, I guess whatever the latest version of MAME is, that's what I pulled
I Love Mame it's one of the first Emulators I ever used and what got me into Emulation :) (please let this work) lol

BTW how long has it been compiling for roughly?

Last edited by ploggy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Why does Psi have PMS?