Votes: 292 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really understand how this is supposed to work on windows because there's no option to create a virtual AP without authentication and doesn't the 3DS need an AP to have no password?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yup.
nzone.exe changes MAC -> doesn't "talk" w/ internet
MACycle has internet access even with softAP -> doesn't change the MAC
macshit works -> not automated.
Dunno why though.
Whatever.
I might just code something in C to run macshit automatically. Won't be pretty but will still be better than doing it by hand.

You don't need to rely on macshift! Let me explain briefly how each of them works.
First of all, changing MAC address requires physical adapter disable/enable, which makes ICS settings reset if at least one of the adapters involved in ICS was disabled. Second, custom device driver's SoftAP mode may or may not rely on the Windows hosted network feature and in general works differently, so the behaviour is unpredictable.
So, what each of the methods does.

macshift:
- Add a registry key NetworkAddress with the selected MAC address for the selected physical adapter
- disable adapter
- enable adapter

cons:
1. have no idea which adapter is actually hosts virtual one
2. have no idea that setting MAC with unicast and/or hardware bits may fail interface or force it to use the default hardware MAC

MacCycle:
- add a registry key NetworkAddress with the selected MAC address for the physical adapter named "Wi-Fi"
- disable adapter
- enable adapter
- enable ICS somehow

1. still have no idea which adapter is actually hosts virtual one (Windows can voluntary use any hosted-network compatible adapter available and even switch between them)
2. have no idea that setting MAC with unicast and/or hardware bits may fail interface or force it to use the default hardware MAC

nzone:
- find physical adapter that currently hosts virtual one
- add a registry key NetworkAddress with the selected MAC address for this physical adapter. MAC address is masked as locally administered unicast to make sure driver will change MAC.
- disable adapter
- enable adapter
- reset ICS and set the one with the default gateway to share it with virtual one

cons:
- BSOD on buggy Atheros, because of the quick disable/enable sequence

You can try to use nzone.vbs with custom SSID to check ICS is set well by the script, nzone.exe makes it all the same way except of the SSID fixed.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
on windows - I can get the right mac address, and an AP of either NZ@McD01 or attwifi which my phone can connect to (with a password) and access the internet just fine but the 3ds just gives an error 003-1099 when testing the connection and in the home screen the console just sits on 'streetpass' and never auto-connects.

on linux - I managed to get the nintendozone to pop up and then the OS spat the dummy and wouldn't work anymore (this was just a debian 7.8.0 distro)
not sure why people are getting this working so easily and I'm having so many issues.

The errors I'm getting on debian are inserv:warning: script 'K01nzone' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'nzone' missing LSB tags and overrides
starting nzone
dnsmasq: failed to bind DHCP server socket: Address already in use
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
Configuration file: /etc/wlan0-hostap.conf
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr e8:43:06:1e:61:71 and ssid 'NZ@McD1'

which actually looks OK but the console doesn't auto-connect again (just sits on streetpass on the home screen)

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
on windows - I can get the right mac address, and an AP of either NZ@McD01 or attwifi which my phone can connect to (with a password) and access the internet just fine but the 3ds just gives an error 003-1099 when testing the connection and in the home screen the console just sits on 'streetpass' and never auto-connects.

on linux - I managed to get the nintendozone to pop up and then the OS spat the dummy and wouldn't work anymore (this was just a debian 7.8.0 distro)
not sure why people are getting this working so easily and I'm having so many issues.

*puts on troll suit and glasses*

Benefits of a Mac B-)

*takes off troll suit*

The "problem" with Linux and Windows is that there are so many different pieces of hardware in use and drivers needed to get them running that what works for one could in effect brick someone else's machine. That's why some people get HomePass set up in a flash and others (like yourself) feel like they're running in to a brick wall over and over again. That's not to say Macs are perfect (never thought I'd ever say that!), most USB and PCI devices are notoriously under-supported (at least officially) on OS X.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
*puts on troll suit and glasses*

Benefits of a Mac B-)

*takes off troll suit*

The "problem" with Linux and Windows is that there are so many different pieces of hardware in use and drivers needed to get them running that what works for one could in effect brick someone else's machine. That's why some people get HomePass set up in a flash and others (like yourself) feel like they're running in to a brick wall over and over again. That's not to say Macs are perfect (never thought I'd ever say that!), most USB and PCI devices are notoriously under-supported (at least officially) on OS X.

I agree and when i was unsuccessful with the 4 wifi cards i had I went and bought the exact one that everyone recommends for this purpose and I'm still hitting brickwalls.

I've got a mac too, but it has no Ethernet port, i suppose I could put the wifi dongle into and use the builtin wifi for internet connectivity but that's likely to be overly complicated as well.

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
I agree and when i was unsuccessful with the 4 wifi cards i had I went and bought the exact one that everyone recommends for this purpose and I'm still hitting brickwalls.

I've got a mac too, but it has no Ethernet port, i suppose I could put the wifi dongle into and use the builtin wifi for internet connectivity but that's likely to be overly complicated as well.

Well, no, not really. You plug in the Wi-Fi dongle, and run through all the steps I outline on the XZone documentation, except you select the Wi-Fi dongle interface instead of Ethernet under Internet Sharing prefs (it makes it easier this way to cycle the MACs). Then it should just be a matter of running XZone and you should be good to go. I say "should" because it may require you to do a simple Find and Replace through XZone and change "en1" to "en0" for your built in Wi-Fi. I'm hoping to push a build out to the beta track in a couple of days to correct that and allow you to select which interfaces to share from and to. Check out XZone if you want, the link is in my sig.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, no, not really. You plug in the Wi-Fi dongle, and run through all the steps I outline on the XZone documentation, except you select the Wi-Fi dongle interface instead of Ethernet under Internet Sharing prefs (it makes it easier this way to cycle the MACs). Then it should just be a matter of running XZone and you should be good to go. I say "should" because it may require you to do a simple Find and Replace through XZone and change "en1" to "en0" for your built in Wi-Fi. I'm hoping to push a build out to the beta track in a couple of days to correct that and allow you to select which interfaces to share from and to. Check out XZone if you want, the link is in my sig.
Oh cool I'll try it. Does your script block updates? If not - could it? I panned on doing this with whatever working setup I end up with

DeaGrimm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
nzone:
- find physical adapter that currently hosts virtual one
- add a registry key NetworkAddress with the selected MAC address for this physical adapter. MAC address is masked as locally administered unicast to make sure driver will change MAC.
- disable adapter
- enable adapter
- reset ICS and set the one with the default gateway to share it with virtual one

cons:
- BSOD on buggy Atheros, because of the quick disable/enable sequence

You can try to use nzone.vbs with custom SSID to check ICS is set well by the script, nzone.exe makes it all the same way except of the SSID fixed.

Maybe you could include a delay in the middle of enable/disable so it's not sooo fast

I liked the "only green miis" list from that google docs list and all that, so I'll include that in the code just because.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Maybe you could include a delay in the middle of enable/disable so it's not sooo fast
I liked the "only green miis" list from that google docs list and all that, so I'll include that in the code just because.

I've already tried that, it won't fix the Atheros BSOD.

Scytheri0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Oh cool I'll try it. Does your script block updates? If not - could it? I panned on doing this with whatever working setup I end up with

At the moment, no, it doesn't block updates. It's a bit beyond the scope of the utility (although I can see its usefulness with keeping connections alive to older SSIDs, but I presume you're thinking of keeping things like ninjhax viable). It's not inconceivable; there are just other features I'd like to add first though, so don't expect it for a while.

Syphos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes it's a USB\VID_148F&PID_5370 I just wanted to do it all in a VM that I can shut down when I don't the point to be active etc.

I have setup a scheduled task, which disables that adapter on boot.
So I have to manually enable it to use either MACcycle or MACshift.
(I don't feel well having an open AP permanently up and running)
Made myself a desktop shortcut, which disables the Wifi :D

Code:
//replace WLAN-Stick with the name of your Wifi.
wmic path win32_networkadapter where NetConnectionID="WLAN-Stick" call disable

Still thinking about a second scheduled task, which checks for the cycling program and if that program is stopped, it will disable the adapter aswell.

However, apoptygma, you can give the driver I posted earlier a shot and setup a SoftAP.
use the line I posted here, change the name of the connection and make a desktop shortcut with it.
That way, you can disable it, too.

styxtraveler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some problems with nzone.exe tonight.

I've had this working other nights with varying amount of success, but tonight when I try to run it all I get is msxml3.dll

I've looked around for solutions for this, but nothing seems to be working for me.

I'm in the US, and my dell laptop is set to american English. I've restarted the laptop several times.

I'm connected to a wired connection and all my other adapters are disabled. I'm using a tp-link wireless adapter for my hotspot. I am able to get online with the wired connection.

I've also tried running nzone.vbs, which ironically works without a problem, except that it's not making nzone.macs. (also the general lack of street passes)

I've also noticed that http://nintendozone.no-ip.org/?base256 seems to be blocked in chrome. it doesn't seem to load at all in IE either.

that may be related. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what else to try at this moment.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot the linux script?
I'm on debian and this is the output:

Code:
root@homepass:/home/homepass# /tmp/nzone.sh
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script 'nzone' missing LSB tags and overrides
no crontab for root
starting nzone
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
Configuration file: /etc/wlan0_hostap.conf
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr e8:4e:06:1e:61:71 and ssid 'NZ@McD1'
root@homepass:/home/homepass#_

danone42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
duke_srg I have successfully used homepass via nzone.exe for the last month but recently it stopped receiving packets. The MACs are cycling, and I redownloaded everything but it still won't work. What do you think is the problem? Thanks.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
styxtraveler, danone42 and ALL
Sorry, the server was not available from 21:00 to 04:00 UTC. nzone.exe users did not get streetpasses at all, all other users just skipped one MAC list update.

apoptygma run
crontab -l
if nzone is here, it should work fine if 3DS are able to connect to the AP and get the IP

Oswarlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a router that works for mac spoofing, and back in the pre-9.x days, (attwifi ssid) it worked amazingly for getting all the streetpasses I could care to get. Then didn't need/want to use it for awhile, so i turned it off. Now I'm trying to get it to work again, but my 3ds doesn't see a Nzone, nor does it get any streetpasses.
Currently using the NZ@McD1 ssid as mentioned in this guide under, as one would expect, the router category. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong here?
TL;DR Worked on router with attwifi, doesn't work now with NZ@McD1.

hey duke_srg , any idea on this?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Right, it should. Which would be cool. But it doesn't, which is why I asked. ;)
Hae you updated the script fro mthelatest version or tried to use the old one? Because the very old versions have no workaround for MAC lists with SSIDs integreted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(