how to fix semi-bricked wii!!?!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by stevoplaystation, Apr 16, 2008.

Apr 16, 2008
  1. stevoplaystation
    OP

Newcomer stevoplaystation Member

Australia
    Hi all,

I have a problem. My Wii's firmware was originally 2.5J or 2.2J. I don't remember. I didn't update for a while now, and forgot to update it before trying to play super mario galaxy. So I loaded it up, and asked for update. and whoops clicked it. Now its semi-bricked, brings it to opera page. I don't get how i can fix it now. Please give me some help! desperately!

2. gamidi

Newcomer gamidi Advanced Member

Greece
    Semi-bricked you mean it leads to opera page when you access the settings, or when you open the wii? If it leads to opera page when you access the settings, try the jap mario kart or jap ssbb update and it will unbrick it. If it leads to opera page when you open the wii then its fully bricked and you cant do anything with it. The only thing you can try it making the mario kart iso autobooting and see if it will run the update that way.

3. stevoplaystation
    OP

Australia
    semi-bricked meaning can't access setting page. I can still play old games etc. and getinto the menu, theres extra weather channel and stuff. So try downloading mario kart Jap version and update it?

4. gamidi

Greece
    Yes,mario kart will do the trick. I thought you mean full brick because you didnt mention where the opera error appears. You must also have dual channels from smg right? You should use that dual channel remover by waninkoko to remove them too.

5. stevoplaystation
    OP

Australia
    cool where can i get that?
    Also, once i updated it, should i update the firmware to 3.0J or whatever the latest is via wi-fi, and then i can play mario galaxy?

6. gamidi

Greece
    Since you have japanese wii, i dont think pal mario galaxy will run without freeloader. Try with freeloader and if it still doesn't work there are guide on how to run USA mario galaxy on jap wiis. The remover tool is here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=81198 .Finally i think you should update to the latest firmware as it is safe to do as now.

7. stevoplaystation
    OP

Australia
    Thanks, really did fix it. now unbricked, and cleared the extra channels.

I don't know why but I can't run super mario kart. ERror message comes up. do i need to update the wiikey thing ro something. no idea. i updated my wii to 3.2J now

what is freeloader by the way?

8. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    the freeloader is a disc you insert before playing a game which makes your wii region free and blocks an update on the disc from installing.

You need to update your wiikey to play games like SMG and Mario Kart normally. at least version G of the wiikey chip

9. stevoplaystation
    OP

Australia
    Where can i Download freeloader?

10. gamidi

Greece
  11. ohnoeee

Newcomer ohnoeee Member

United States
    Will the 1.9s version help me if I got semi-bricked with a Mario Kart (Pal) on a ntsc system?

12. gamidi

Greece
    No you have to wait till a new update comes on a disk like 3.3U to restore your system. You can try Super smash bros brawl but i dont guarantee anything.

13. ohnoeee

Newcomer ohnoeee Member

United States

From googling, it says that Big Brain Acedemy (ntsc) has 3.3U, would this really fix it?
    Do you think it might create more problems/extra channels if I do this? Would the Wiikey 1.9s help this at all?

btw, I already have both the Jap and US Brawl, so that wouldn't work now anyway.

14. crpngdth2001

Newcomer crpngdth2001 Newbie

United States
    I just fixed my semi-bricked NTSC Wii with Okami - NTSC - ZRY. It was semi-bricked with something other than Mario Kart, but already had the SMG and SSBB NTSC updates. Might want to try Okami, or Big Brain Academy.

15. vinikun

Newcomer vinikun Advanced Member

United States
    Isn't big brain academy way old? Wouldn't that have < version 3.0?

16. vinikun

Newcomer vinikun Advanced Member

United States
    Did Okami ask you to update? Because I updated my NTSC Wii to version 3.2E using Mario Kart Wii PAL and it semi-bricked my Wii. Then I tried playing Okami and it didn't ask me to update...

17. enito

Newcomer enito Newbie

Chile
    me too, i have a bricked one with mario kart, and try fix with okami and didnt get any update [​IMG]

any tips

18. crpngdth2001

Newcomer crpngdth2001 Newbie

United States
    It didn't even ask me, it automatically started installing it. Once it installed, then I could see the Okami image to click on and start the game. I didn't brick on Mario Kart - PAL, and I previously had SSBB and SMG updates installed. I believe the game my kids bricked it on was one of the Custom GH3's (PAL). Once Okami worked, I went to settings, added my internet settings, and took another update via the Internet.

19. ohnoeee

Newcomer ohnoeee Member

United States
    Ok, but right now the idea here is finding a solution for those who did semi-brick their Wii with Mario Kart from a different region..

20. yorke

Newcomer yorke Member

Australia
    Hi,

I had a semi bricked NTSC-J Wii from a previous update, not sure when though. When I put in the Mario kart NTSC-J disc into my wii, an update screen appeared and it started to update. After the update was complete, the machine proceeded to reset, but after the reset I am still unable to access the Wii settings screen.

Does anyone have any idea why this is the case?

Edit: I just checked and my Mario kart Wii iso is scrubbed, does this change things in anyway? I'm positive that the update screen and progress bar appeared on the wii though.

Thanks a lot.