Trying to fix my 6 year old bricked Wii without losing its data help

Rayan-_-

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have a bricked Wii it's really important because it's the only Wii that can install boot2 I want a tutorial for fixing it anyone help?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
And think you don't have a nand backup?

Can you go to bootmi and create a nand dump of the current state?

May be you can extract data from that nand backup, then recreate a functional wii and restore the data from backup

@XFlak may be have a better idea

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you run into BootMii fine? If you have it installed as boot2 and IOS, you can easily make a NAND backup and recover your Wii to a working state.

If that's not the case, then you most certainly screwed it up big time. Best option would be to buy another used Wii, and be careful next time.

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fourth aisle is the Wii aisle this week they're 19.99. Jokes aside they're so cheap it's not worth losing your mind over fixing one, you can also look for one without cords since you have those already. Maybe get the black or red one if you had the white one just for the novelty factor :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jokes aside they're so cheap it's not worth losing your mind over fixing one
Seriously? Just throw away a device that is out of production for >10 years and don't think twice!
Then there is this part of the title:
"without losing its data"

Maybe get the black or red one if you had the white one just for the novelty factor *****
Downgrade possibilities for gaining another color shell.
======

So sad people keep recommending replacement as the first (and only) step. True is that many software bricked Wii consoles can't be revived by an average user. No harm trying available methods though.

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Seriously? Just throw away a device that is out of production for >10 years and don't think twice!
Then there is this part of the title:
"without losing its data"

Downgrade possibilities for gaining another color shell.
======

So sad people keep recommending replacement as the first (and only) step. True is that many software bricked Wii consoles can't be revived by an average user. No harm trying available methods though.
dude are you for real, this console sold 100 frickin millions units

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dude are you for real, this console sold 100 frickin millions units
Yes I'm serious!
Too many people share your opinion and some series of the Wii started failing. "There are so many of them!" is a pretty stupid thing to say. Each one thrown away for no reason is one less. Should be obvious… dude

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No one tells people to break their devices in stupid ways and then expect easy solutions to their mistakes.
Deal with it.

If you want an alternative solution, wait another 10 years for an universal nand chip replacement , easy to desolder, flashable and compatible with all existing wiis ,bricked or not.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No one tells people to break their devices in stupid ways and then expect easy solutions to their mistakes.
What an aggressiveness!

Deal with it.
Okay. I try my best to deal with it: 🤦‍♀️

If you want an alternative solution, wait another 10 years for an universal nand chip replacement , easy to desolder, flashable and compatible with all existing wiis ,bricked or not.
I hope you realize that replacing the NAND chip is possible right now. This is just a standard chip. The soldering work on the other side needs skill. How should this change with an imaginary new fantastic chip?

To my – incomplete(!) – knowledge files from the big leak, SD boot, can be used to revive any software bricked Wii (trashed software on NAND) with a hardware flasher. There might be additional trouble with the SEEPROM corrupted for whatever reason.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To my – incomplete(!) – knowledge files from the big leak, SD boot, can be used to revive any software bricked Wii (trashed software on NAND) with a hardware flasher.
Unfortunately, unless you knew this and prepared for some weird reason (and I don't think anyone has made a practical EEPROM editing/backup/restore homebrew), boot1 has an anti-downgrade check that compares the header version with the one in EEPROM - and sdboot is version 0 (and as we know, boot1 is hash checked and boot2 is signed)

That only leaves the way you can hack a Winchester 360 - buy and solder a new CPU, which by definition has a blank PROM, and run pretty much whatever you want from the internal storage :D

Or maybe a kamikaze hack is possible (chip drilling to reach the EEPROM directly, to access with an external programmer, and that's assuming it's standard SPI/I2C)? Maybe RGH to skip one of the checks is possible? :) :(

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately, unless you knew this and prepared for some weird reason (and I don't think anyone has made a practical EEPROM editing/backup/restore homebrew), boot1 has an anti-downgrade check that compares the header version with the one in EEPROM - and sdboot is version 0 (and as we know, boot1 is hash checked and boot2 is signed)
Still hoping for a modified boot1 to become viable .

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't remember if there is a way to dump the physical NAND on WII and offline editing, could be a way to repair this brick?
If you have the OTP you can use Ohneschwanzenegger (Who? Came? Up? With? That? NAME!? I cringe every time writing it down) to create an empty (like stock) NAND image.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have a programmer, sure, you can backup the nand that way (you'll want an updated backup anyway for the bad sector list, remember this is unmanaged/"MTD" flash)

• Love

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So using a Programmer is a solution to unbrick the console keeping all data?
You can always backup the nand with a programmer (...unless the chip is broken, but it seems this case is "only" a wii menu with no/stub IOS case)
But you also need the keys.bin for that console to extract files and/or reinstall the software that way

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes I'm serious!
Too many people share your opinion and some series of the Wii started failing. "There are so many of them!" is a pretty stupid thing to say. Each one thrown away for no reason is one less. Should be obvious… dude
yea... dude... or gal, or whatever, idc, the point is it makes no sense to treat a Wii like a super duper rare holy grail from 700 years ago, I can guarantee you that throwing away a single one will make exactly zero difference in the world, or even its future resell value. If it was a Wii U that would be a lot different for a number of reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0