How to fix Internet going down during a large upload?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by sodaddict, Sep 4, 2016.

1. sodaddict
    OP

sodaddict GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2016
    Whenever i upload a little large file to the internet, my whole internet goes out, this has happened for a few months now and i'm not sure why cause it never happened before. I used to be able to upload to Mediafire, Skype, etc. just fine, but now i can't, the only site unaffected is YouTube, where i can upload many gigs worth of video footage and it will succeed, unlike in other sites where my internet goes out if the file is larger than 5 megs.
    So, is there a way to fix this?

Darkyose likes this.
  2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    What's your router model and your internet ISP plan(mb/s)

3. CIAwesome526
    This message by CIAwesome526 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 4, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 4, 2016
  4. Davidosky99
    This message by Davidosky99 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 4, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 4, 2016
  5. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    My router is a DMAX Thomson, and if i recall, i have about 4 gigs of internet or less.

6. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    are you using mobile data or home internet?
    If mobile data, 4G or 3G/H+?

7. CIAwesome526
    This message by CIAwesome526 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 4, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 4, 2016
  8. Davidosky99
    This message by Davidosky99 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Sep 4, 2016, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Sep 4, 2016
  9. CIAwesome526
    Sep 4, 2016
  10. Davidosky99
    Sep 4, 2016
  11. CIAwesome526
    Sep 4, 2016
  12. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    Home internet of course.

13. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    Do this:

1. Get 2 devices in your network and connect them to your home network.
    2. Do your usual thing where u upload large files from the pc or device that is giving you problems. If the connection goes out than
    3. Check your other device connected to your network. Is it online? Can you get to google.com?

14. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    Nope, none of my devices are connected to the internet when the problem happens.

15. Phil5004

Phil5004 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 6, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thats because your File to Upload, takes the whole Upload of your Internet connection.
    Try to Limit your Upload for example you've got 4 MB/s Upload, try to use only 3MB/s or 3,5MB/s

16. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    And how do i do that?

17. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    This means that either your ISP has implemented limits on uploads or they are watching you. The second one is most likely since they don't block your YouTube uploads but they block media fire uploads.
    If your whole network goes down, it's either the router (very unlikely) or your ISP is blocking you.
    Another experiment you can try is take the device which you have the issue with and use it in a friend's house.
    Will it crash there?

18. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    I don't have a friend with internet and i can't take an entire bulky desktop towards a faraway house.
    I'll call my ISP sometime, but if it is my router, tell me what to do?

19. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    If you have a portable device, take it to your friend's house or maybe somewhere where you can find free public wifi.
    Before you do, make sure you use this device in your home first to replicate the upload problem.

The reason you're doing this test is to confirm and rule out if it's a device issue or an ISP issue.

You need to do this test first before doing anything else.
    Find a public wifi and take your portable device in that network.

20. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    Alright i sent the file to my phone and uploaded it from there, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, i went over to a different wifi and it works on there.

21. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    Ok so now there's two possibilities.
    Your router or your ISP.
    If it's ISP, there isn't much you can do about it. There are other ways but it's a headache and a hassle.
    If it's your router you can test by resetting your router to factory defaults and doing a router firmware upgrade. I haven't worked with Thompson routers to be honest but good router names are Linksys, Asus, Netgear and Cisco or Enterasys. The last two are used for business not residential.
    What's your router model number?

22. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    My router model is Thomson TG782

23. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    Did your ISP give you this router or did you buy it yourself?

24. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    It's been a long time since i had the router so i don't exactly remember, but if i recall, i had a previous router that stopped working and i got a replacement, so the ISP probably gave me the router.

25. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    If you reset this router you may have a hard time getting into the routers management console which is typically 192.168.0.1
    You will need a username and password to get into the router so you can set the name of your ssid and the password for your witless network.
    If you know all this stuff than go ahead and reset it but be careful because if you haven't done this before you might be without Internet and you'll end up calling isp tech support for hours.
    There's a reset button on the routers usually which you need to press and hold for 10 seconds by inserting a paper clip.
    Also since this is an isp router, firmware updates are out of the question and they may make things worse.

To be honest you don't have a lot of options here but you can call them and ask them that when you upload files your whole network goes down and you need to share your files for work with your coworkers.
    See what they say.

To me it sounds like they're watching and they're blocking your uploads to media fire but they're allowing your YouTube uploads.

26. sodaddict
    OP

Mar 18, 2016
    Alright thanks.