How to fix Internet going down during a large upload?

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Whenever i upload a little large file to the internet, my whole internet goes out, this has happened for a few months now and i'm not sure why cause it never happened before. I used to be able to upload to Mediafire, Skype, etc. just fine, but now i can't, the only site unaffected is YouTube, where i can upload many gigs worth of video footage and it will succeed, unlike in other sites where my internet goes out if the file is larger than 5 megs.
So, is there a way to fix this?

Reactions: Lightyose

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
Whenever i upload a little large file to the internet, my whole internet goes out, this has happened for a few months now and i'm not sure why cause it never happened before. I used to be able to upload to Mediafire, Skype, etc. just fine, but now i can't, the only site unaffected is YouTube, where i can upload many gigs worth of video footage and it will succeed, unlike in other sites where my internet goes out if the file is larger than 5 megs.
So, is there a way to fix this?
What's your router model and your internet ISP plan(mb/s)

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Home internet of course.

Do this:

1. Get 2 devices in your network and connect them to your home network.
2. Do your usual thing where u upload large files from the pc or device that is giving you problems. If the connection goes out than
3. Check your other device connected to your network. Is it online? Can you get to google.com?

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do this:

1. Get 2 devices in your network and connect them to your home network.
2. Do your usual thing where u upload large files from the pc or device that is giving you problems. If the connection goes out than
3. Check your other device connected to your network. Is it online? Can you get to google.com?
Nope, none of my devices are connected to the internet when the problem happens.

Phil5004

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats because your File to Upload, takes the whole Upload of your Internet connection.
Try to Limit your Upload for example you've got 4 MB/s Upload, try to use only 3MB/s or 3,5MB/s

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Nope, none of my devices are connected to the internet when the problem happens.

This means that either your ISP has implemented limits on uploads or they are watching you. The second one is most likely since they don't block your YouTube uploads but they block media fire uploads.
If your whole network goes down, it's either the router (very unlikely) or your ISP is blocking you.
Another experiment you can try is take the device which you have the issue with and use it in a friend's house.
Will it crash there?

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This means that either your ISP has implemented limits on uploads or they are watching you. The second one is most likely since they don't block your YouTube uploads but they block media fire uploads.
If your whole network goes down, it's either the router (very unlikely) or your ISP is blocking you.
Another experiment you can try is take the device which you have the issue with and use it in a friend's house.
Will it crash there?
I don't have a friend with internet and i can't take an entire bulky desktop towards a faraway house.
I'll call my ISP sometime, but if it is my router, tell me what to do?

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a friend with internet and i can't take an entire bulky desktop towards a faraway house.
I'll call my ISP sometime, but if it is my router, tell me what to do?

If you have a portable device, take it to your friend's house or maybe somewhere where you can find free public wifi.
Before you do, make sure you use this device in your home first to replicate the upload problem.

The reason you're doing this test is to confirm and rule out if it's a device issue or an ISP issue.

You need to do this test first before doing anything else.
Find a public wifi and take your portable device in that network.

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a portable device, take it to your friend's house or maybe somewhere where you can find free public wifi.
Before you do, make sure you use this device in your home first to replicate the upload problem.

The reason you're doing this test is to confirm and rule out if it's a device issue or an ISP issue.

You need to do this test first before doing anything else.
Find a public wifi and take your portable device in that network.
Alright i sent the file to my phone and uploaded it from there, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, i went over to a different wifi and it works on there.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok so now there's two possibilities.
Your router or your ISP.
If it's ISP, there isn't much you can do about it. There are other ways but it's a headache and a hassle.
If it's your router you can test by resetting your router to factory defaults and doing a router firmware upgrade. I haven't worked with Thompson routers to be honest but good router names are Linksys, Asus, Netgear and Cisco or Enterasys. The last two are used for business not residential.
What's your router model number?

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so now there's two possibilities.
Your router or your ISP.
If it's ISP, there isn't much you can do about it. There are other ways but it's a headache and a hassle.
If it's your router you can test by resetting your router to factory defaults and doing a router firmware upgrade. I haven't worked with Thompson routers to be honest but good router names are Linksys, Asus, Netgear and Cisco or Enterasys. The last two are used for business not residential.
What's your router model number?
My router model is Thomson TG782

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Did your ISP give you this router or did you buy it yourself?
It's been a long time since i had the router so i don't exactly remember, but if i recall, i had a previous router that stopped working and i got a replacement, so the ISP probably gave me the router.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
If you reset this router you may have a hard time getting into the routers management console which is typically 192.168.0.1
You will need a username and password to get into the router so you can set the name of your ssid and the password for your witless network.
If you know all this stuff than go ahead and reset it but be careful because if you haven't done this before you might be without Internet and you'll end up calling isp tech support for hours.
There's a reset button on the routers usually which you need to press and hold for 10 seconds by inserting a paper clip.
Also since this is an isp router, firmware updates are out of the question and they may make things worse.

To be honest you don't have a lot of options here but you can call them and ask them that when you upload files your whole network goes down and you need to share your files for work with your coworkers.
See what they say.

To me it sounds like they're watching and they're blocking your uploads to media fire but they're allowing your YouTube uploads.

Deleted member 386356

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you reset this router you may have a hard time getting into the routers management console which is typically 192.168.0.1
You will need a username and password to get into the router so you can set the name of your ssid and the password for your witless network.
If you know all this stuff than go ahead and reset it but be careful because if you haven't done this before you might be without Internet and you'll end up calling isp tech support for hours.
There's a reset button on the routers usually which you need to press and hold for 10 seconds by inserting a paper clip.
Also since this is an isp router, firmware updates are out of the question and they may make things worse.

To be honest you don't have a lot of options here but you can call them and ask them that when you upload files your whole network goes down and you need to share your files for work with your coworkers.
See what they say.

To me it sounds like they're watching and they're blocking your uploads to media fire but they're allowing your YouTube uploads.
Alright thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.