How To Dump OTP.bin If You Lose It After Installing A9LH

While the OTP isn't really needed once A9LH is installed, if the file is lost, than here is a guide to get it back if you really want it.

1- Back everything on your SD Card to a folder on your PC. Then launch Hourglass9 and make a NAND backup. Then rename it to sysNAND-A9LHAX.bin as well as sysNAND-A9LHAX.bin.sha and put it somewhere on your PC.
2- Follow these steps https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer , then restore your original Health and Safety through Decrypt9. (Should be named "hs.app")
3- Download SafeA9LHInstaller and copy all the files to the root of your SD Card, even replacing arm9loaderhax.bin.
4- When your system boots up, press the button to uninstall Arm9LoaderHax.
5- Then when your system boots up, follow https://3ds.guide/ and get to the point where you downgrade to 2.1. Then, download OTPHelper https://github.com/d0k3/OTPHelper/releases and extract all the files and folders to the root of your SD Card. Now, follow these steps.
  1. Go to http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin on your 3ds
  2. OTPHelper will launch, then select the "Dump otp.bin (0x108)" option
  3. Go back to the main menu, then Select the "Dump otp.bin (0x100)" option
  4. Press Select on the main menu to eject your SD card
  5. Put your SD card in your computer, then copy over otp0x108.bin and otp.bin to a safe folder on your computer.
  6. Ensure that otp.bin is 256 bytes and otp0x108.bin is 264 bytes
  7. Backup otp.bin and otp0x108.bin to multiple locations (such as online file storage)
7- Next, follow these steps.
  1. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS then press B to return to the main menu
  2. Go to "NAND Backup & Restore"
  3. Restore SysNAND from sysNAND_A9LHAX.bin
  4. Cross your fingers
  5. Reboot!
8- Now, format your 3DS's SD Card (MAKE SURE THE OTP AND ALL THE NAND BACKUPS ARE ON YOUR PC!!!) and copy over all of the files you backed up in Step 1 on your PC to the root of your SD Card.

And that's it! Also, credit to Plailect for parts of Step 5 and 6.

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
CTRTransfer doesn't remove A9LH so you have to boot through some sort of CFW. Luma, as well as all other CFWs, (Cakes, Rei, RX etc.), don't support 2.1 FIRM booting. Therefore, that method is currently impossible. I mean I guess you could CTRTransfer to 2.1 and then unistall though, now that I think about it.
That woulden't work, as A9LH is based on 9.6 FIRM.
This is the only thing SIGHAX will bring to A9LH users. Not a fully CFW, just OTP dumping. And maybe 0.001s faster boot?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He lost his OTP file and wanted it back.
There is literally no reason to keep your OTP after you installed A9LH. You don't even need it to re-install A9LH, since the installer dumps the OTP right on the spot. You can really just delete your OTP

bobfacemoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Luma boots on 2.1 now as long as there is no theme extdata, which is what causes a black screen on boot. I should know, I did it.

Acelib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That woulden't work, as A9LH is based on 9.6 FIRM.
This is the only thing SIGHAX will bring to A9LH users. Not a fully CFW, just OTP dumping. And maybe 0.001s faster boot?
That's not true at all. A9LH works perfectly fine on 9.2 as well as much, much earlier FIRMs. If that was the case, then why do you think Plailect's guide says to CTRTransfer to 9.2 if your NAND restore failed AFTER installing Arm9LoaderHax? Clearly you should get your facts straight. Heck, A9LH even works on 6.0. And clearly it does work considering I've tested the method myself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Luma boots on 2.1 now as long as there is no theme extdata, which is what causes a black screen on boot. I should know, I did it.
It might but only for certain model 3DS's. So to make to avoid error, I added that extra step. Usually Luma gives a CTRNAND error.

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
That's not true at all. A9LH works perfectly fine on 9.2 as well as much, much earlier FIRMs. If that was the case, then why do you think Plailect's guide says to CTRTransfer to 9.2 if your NAND restore failed AFTER installing Arm9LoaderHax? Clearly you should get your facts straight. Heck, A9LH even works on 6.0. And clearly it does work considering I've tested the method myself.

It might but only for certain model 3DS's. So to make to avoid error, I added that extra step. Usually Luma gives a CTRNAND error.
I mean, A9LH itself is based on 9.6 FIRM. Sure, it can load other firms using CFW, but it is based on 9.6 FIRM. So what happens is that: 9.6 FIRM is booted->OTP locked->A9LH runs->A9LH runs Luma->Luma runs 2.1 FIRM->OTP still locked...

Reactions: iAqua

Acelib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, A9LH itself is based on 9.6 FIRM. Sure, it can load other firms using CFW, but it is based on 9.6 FIRM. So what happens is that: 9.6 FIRM is booted->OTP locked->A9LH runs->A9LH runs Luma->Luma runs 2.1 FIRM->OTP still locked...
Exactly. That's why in the guide I said to uninstall A9LH.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't work because Luma can't boot 2.1 FIRMs.

If thats true, then the full idea of https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax will not work. as stated on the guide:

Section II - Installing arm9loaderhax
  1. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
  2. Do the steps for installing arm9loaderhax on your device:
    • You should be on 2.1.0 [System here would be on 2.1]
    • Go to http://2xrsa.3ds.guide on your 3DS
    • If you get the error “This service is not available in your region”, use the System Settings to set your device’s country to match the NAND region you installed with 2.1.0 ctrtransfer
    • If you get another error, follow this troubleshooting guide
    • If you get a glitched screen, follow this troubleshooting guide
    • If you are on a 2DS or New 3DS and Wireless Communication is off, you can re-enable the wireless by removing the battery and unplugging the charger for several seconds then booting back up
    • Press (Select) to Full Install
    • The installer will now install arm9loaderhax on your device (this is very fast)
    • Shut down your console by pressing any button
    • Copy your console specific otp.bin from the /a9lh/ folder on your SD card to a safe location on your computer and back it up to multiple locations (such as online file storage), then reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
Section III - Configuring Luma3DS
[Here we are still on 2.1, and we are configuring luma]

1. Boot your device while holding (Select) to enter the Luma3DS configuration menu
  2. Use the (A) button and the D-Pad to turn on the following:
    • “Autoboot SysNAND”
    • “Use SysNAND FIRM if booting with R”
    • “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”
  3. If you are using a New 3DS, you can also enable the following:
    • “New 3DS CPU” to “Clock+L2(x)”
    • This will increase the framerate of many games, but may cause instability in others
    • If some games do not work properly, disable this option and try again
  4. Press (Start) to save and reboot
    • If you get a black screen, just continue to the next section
    • If you get a “Failed to mount CTRNAND” error, just continue to the next section
Section IV - Restoring the System
[Still on 2.1, performing a Nand Restore.]

If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND instead of doing the first four steps in this section.

1. Boot your device while holding (Start) to enter Hourglass9
  2. Go to “SysNAND Backup/Restore”
  3. Go to “SysNAND Restore (keep a9lh)” and restore from NANDmin.bin
  4. Press (Start) to reboot

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
If thats true, then the full idea of https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax will not work.
Actually nope:
as stated on the guide:

• You should be on 2.1.0 [System here would be on 2.1 without CFW]
    • If you get the error “This service is not available in your region”, use the System Settings to set your device’s country to match the NAND region you installed with 2.1.0 ctrtransfer
    • If you are on a 2DS or New 3DS and Wireless Communication is off, you can re-enable the wireless by removing the battery and unplugging the charger for several seconds then booting back up
    • The installer will now install arm9loaderhax on your device (this is very fast)
    • Copy your console specific otp.bin from the /a9lh/ folder on your SD card to a safe location on your computer and back it up to multiple locations (such as online file storage), then reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
[Here we are still on 2.1, and we are configuring luma. No boot into the home menu]

1. Boot your device while holding (Select) to enter the Luma3DS configuration menu
    • “Autoboot SysNAND”
    • This will increase the framerate of many games, but may cause instability in others
    • If you get a “Failed to mount CTRNAND” error, just continue to the next section
[Still on 2.1, performing a Nand Restore. Still no boot into the home menu]

If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND instead of doing the first four steps in this section.

Acelib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But why would you need to boot to the home menu? if the idea its just to almost redo the a9lh process in order to get the otp?
The guide was how to get your OTP.bin if you lost the file and want it back, even though you already have a9lh. I'm not sure what your asking.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Or just wait for SIGHAX since once you have A9LH you don't really need it anymore. If you now desperatly want it, wait for SIGHAX that is more or less around the corner instead of brick risking you for a none essential file.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Here's a silly little app that dumps your otp hash. It's just a novelty right now since no a9lh installer app supports installing a9lh from a hash file, but it wouldn't hurt to dump it anyway should that feature materialize in the future. (hint: it'd be extremely easy to implement)

If any of you want to test the legitimacy of the output, you hash sha256 over the first 0x90 of your otp.bin. It should match otp_hash.bin.

Attachments

• SafeOTPdumper.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by zoogie,

Acelib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said the guide will not work if Luma can't boot 2.1 firms. Well, it does work.
Yes A9LH itself boots on 2.1, but you have to load the HOME Menu and then launch the browser to dump the OTP. However, if A9LH is installed on 2.1 then either A: Luma will boot into the HOME Menu or B: Black screen or CTRNand Error. And even if it did boot, as someone else pointed out earlier, since A9LH is based off of 9.6 FIRM, it actually has the potential of locking out the OTP region though I haven't confirmed that myself.

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yes A9LH itself boots on 2.1, but you have to load the HOME Menu and then launch the browser to dump the OTP. However, if A9LH is installed on 2.1 then either A: Luma will boot into the HOME Menu or B: Black screen or CTRNand Error. And even if it did boot, as someone else pointed out earlier, since A9LH is based off of 9.6 FIRM, it actually has the potential of locking out the OTP region though I haven't confirmed that myself.
I pointed it out.
If it wouldn't lock the OTP reigon you could just write a payload to read it.

Acelib

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If thats true, then the full idea of https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax will not work. as stated on the guide:

• You should be on 2.1.0 [System here would be on 2.1]
[Here we are still on 2.1, and we are configuring luma]

• “Autoboot SysNAND”
[Still on 2.1, performing a Nand Restore.]

Notice how at no point in that process you boot into the HOME Menu. Hmm that's a little strange isn't it? Next time get your facts straight before posting. :P

I pointed it out.
If it wouldn't lock the OTP reigon you could just write a payload to read it.
Oh alright sorry for not saying that it was you. lol my bad. Anyways, I wrote the guide with tools we currently have in mind but maybe zoogie's tool can work in the future.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Easier way:

1. Restore your clean nand backup.
2. Redo 3ds.guide's a9lh installation.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would someone want their otp file after already achieving a9lh? It's really pointless tbh, and the guy wanting the file should have had that explained to him. Other than it being a paranoid/OCD thing, there's no valid reason for keeping/wanting your otp file.

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
This guide is pretty much Plai's but you've just linked his guide in parts instead of typing it out.

I don't really see the point, and like people have pointed out, it's Plai's uplifted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum