Tutorial  Updated

How to Convert .3DS Files Into .CIA (11.2.0 N3DS)

This Is An Alternative Method For Converting .3DS Files

Sorry but this is my first post so if there are any problems please let me know thanks!

I have been searching for a TUT for installing .3DS w/out Decrypt9/WIP and downgrading to 9.2 and I could not find anything (maybe I didn't search well enough..) but with the new release of GodMode9 v0.9.2 I was able to convert .3ds to .cia easy.

This has only been tested on 11.2.0 N3DS - A9LH + Luma

Link to d0k3's GitHub release: https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases
Guide to Installing GodMode9/SafeMode9 with Luma3DS
1. Download the files from the link above (GodMode9 for advanced uses or SafeMode9 for regular users)
2. Insert your micro SD into your computer and navigate to (x):\luma\payloads
3. Copy the file GodMode9.bin or SafeMode9.bin and place it into your payloads folder
4. Re-name the file to start_GodMode.bin or start_SafeMode.bin

Guide to Converting .3DS to.CIA

1. Insert you micro SD into your computer
2. Place your .3ds file(s) in a new folder (better organization) or on the root of your SD card for easy access
3. Insert your micro SD back into your N3DS and boot holding the Start Button to start Luma chainload and navigate to start_GodMode9 or start_SafeMode9 and press A
4. On the bottom screen navigate to [0:] SDCARD and press A
5. Navigate to the folder or to the .3ds file(s) and press A
6. Navigate to the option NCSD image options... and press A
7. Navigate to the option Build CIA from file and press A
8. Once the process is complete it will create the .CIA file in 0:/gm9out on the root of your SD
9. Run FBI and install .CIA
10. Have fun! ^^

Note: This is alternative method for converting .3DS files

Last edited by NearLeepy,

CrushCrushCrush

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a GBAtemp account just to sign-in and say thank you for the guide.

To those who are saying that this is more or less difficult or whatever from other approaches, that doesn't matter. I think what the OP's intention was is to explain the process in an easy to follow way, not necessarily the fewest steps. Mission accomplished. The instructions are concise and accurate.

The only variation I experienced was launching GodMode9. Since my 3DS CFW was installed using the guide at https://3ds.guide/, my GodMode9 payload was already configured to run holding the UP button while starting (e.g. UP+POWER).

Thanks again!

Last edited by CrushCrushCrush,

dKd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey everyone,

Long time no post here.
I've started using CFW/Luma/Godmode etc. only very recently.
I'm on 11.0.0 EU.
I've used this method on a couple of .3DS files to convert to CIA.
Works nicely, maybe not the most optimal but I'm learning ;-)

There is however one .3DS file which Godmode doesn't give me the option to choose NCSD image options...
It's a little "french" game that sounds like "Rainman" ^_^

Does anyone have a suggestion or has had the same problem?

Thx in advance.
dKd.

MO35AB

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
i have files.3ds larger than 4 gb, max size per file for fat32.
is there a way, a point where i can mount another sd card, with ntfs and has the game inside ?
thank you.

Dothackjhe

"Joker"
Trophies
Website
wroiters.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Philippines
If you're on the latest version of Luma 3DS (version 9.1 at the present), booting to GodMode9 is as simple as pressing and holding the "start button + power button" at boot. No need to be concerned about the ".bin" files that were not included with the GodMode9 download at GitHub. Everything else is as instructed in this thread.

I would not necessarily had to go through the method if not for a certain very rare 3DS title which I find hard to find in CIA format but was able to come across a 3DS ROM of. I'm glad I did, though, as I learn of this method as opposed to the original, old procedure.

Last edited by Dothackjhe,

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I haven't tried this yet because it's nit really what I'm after.

Is there an easy way to convert in PC?
Laptops are faster & I can put the .cia file on a friend's 3DS after, who asked me to hack his when I said I'd just done my own.

PsychoBabble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I couldn't find a straight forward PC app so I followed this guide... amazingly easy!

I then plugged the SD card into my laptop and moved the .cia file from the gm9>out folder as explained.
I can't see any reason not to use this great guide in future. It wasn't too slow either: my 1gb .3ds file converted to .cia in 5-10 minutes!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4