How Edit Webpage Source?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Lucifer666, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Right so my school has a webpage where I can choose my GCSE options for next year.

For some reason my school didn't include an "edit" option. So, once you've gotten your options on, they're unchangeable unless I contact the ICT teacher in my school, and he'll change my options for me.

I don't wanna ask him to do it for me, so..

I chose my options, but I changed my mind about one of them. I'm on Google Chrome, and I right-clicked on the page and hit 'View Page Source'.

I dug through all that HTML and managed to find out what I need to change to fix my GCSE options, but the problem is, I don't know how to save it.

What I did is I saved the html of the page and edited it in notepad and changed my options, tested it out, and it worked.

Great but how do I edited the actual page source, and not a copy that I pasted into notepad?

Thanks.

2. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    Editing the page source has no effect. It will change for you yeah, but if you refresh it'll load the old version again.
    Someone has to edit it on server side, or provide you an edit form.

3. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    ... You can't do that unless you have access to edit the website.

It's just easier (and the only way) to ask your IT teacher.

EDIT: Hi tj_cool

1 person likes this.
  4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    You don't. The page source is read-only. One of the things I learned when I was really young and wanted to "hack" websites... "lol page source is here, let's delete it and save it! *1 minute later* Oh... :\"

Unfortunately you're gonna have to contact the ICT teacher.

Edit - double ninja'd :ninja: :ninja:

1 person likes this.
  5. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    also there are some things you (as user) can't see behing which exists in the actual code. This code is processed by server, sent "prepared" to user, but the source code isn't there.

6. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    All right, that was expected and that was all that I needed to have confirmed.
    Thanks!