• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

How do you feel about the phrase "I'll pray for you"?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'll pray for you"
"you're in my thoughts"
"oh fuck, that sucks"

all the same thing. Sentiments of feeling. It's just insidious when they think praying will actually *do* something. That's the fucked up part. Otherwise, whatever, you're expressing your concern. I'm non-religious, but I understand some folks haven't broken free yet. Be gentle, be kind, even to those who are unawares.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
As a non-religious person with a few religious friends, they know not to say things like that to me. They can pray all they want for me, but I don't want to know about it. I don't believe in their gods, or prayers for that matter. I am, however, a little numb to the whole concept of religion and gods. I've seen things nobody really wants to see, and experienced quite a few things at a young age, and a lot of the problems that brought forth are still with me to this day. It's haunted me to no end, and I simply refuse to believe that any so-called god would subject "their children" to this.

I don't hate religion, I really don't. Anyone can believe in what they want, but I don't want to know about it. If you're truly praying for me, more power to you, but I don't care. I would rather have someone tell me to suck it up and deal with it whenever something bad happens, because that's atleast realistic to me, and is usually a sound advice. To me, it feels like "prayers" are just hoping it gets better, and anyone can do that, no?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Considering that the comment you posted referred to 'waifu' as singular; you're actually wrong. Because I have multiple waifus. Ergo, your comment is invalid :3
Bruh, you have at LEAST 'a' waifu. My comment is entirely valid.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The concept of a person claiming Christianity or almost any other religion while remaining a pirate is very absurd to me. A Christian thief? LOL. Another oddity to me is when they say "I'm a sinner. But as a Christian I am forgiven." Okay, sure. But I was a "born again" Christian for several years before getting out of it & I know for a fact that while you may be forgiven by your God, you're supposed to not keep committing the same sins over and over and over and just think it's okay 'cuz you're naturally a sinner & that you're forgiven each time you ask.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is only one Judeo Christian god I would be willing to worship.. (maybe)

Attachments

• MMPR_Dinozord_Ultrazord.jpg
    MMPR_Dinozord_Ultrazord.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 187
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an atheist, I just see it as genuine concern, but the person saying it simply doesn't have the means to help you, so they leave it in God's hands so to speak. Either they genuinely want their deity of choice to help you with your problem, or in some cases it's just another way to express sympathy with no real desire to help behind it at all.

Last edited by Subtle Demise,
Reactions: D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an atheist, I just see it as genuine concern, but the person saying it simply doesn't have the means to help you, so they leave it in God's hands so to speak. Either they genuinely want their deity of choice to help you with your problem, or in some cases it's just another way to express sympathy with no real desire to help behind it at all.

Imo I believe like you've stated. They genuinely not only want their deity to help, but actually believe it will. I think the sentiment is there, but I don't think there's any proof whatsoever that prayer does anything at all. It's a persons own choice of coping methods. What they feel is a supernatural force is just a mind-set that makes themselves feel positive. It's not a God making you happy, it's yourself making yourself happy, by believing that a God is providing this happiness. Not sure how to explain it. Self hypnosis I guess might be a good term for what I'm trying to say.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an athiest, I take it as an act of caring if a family member or friend says it and just tell them thanks or nod. But there are way too many religious people that say it as a means to alleviate themselves from any burden that might cause some inconvenience in their lives.

On a side note: If they believe all of what their religion tells them then praying is useless because everything has been pre-determined. Oh but those conflict... Hmmm...

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a side note: If they believe all of what their religion tells them then praying is useless because everything has been pre-determined. Oh but those conflict... Hmmm...

Haha. Exactly. One second it's "We were given free will!" and the next it's "It's all a part of God's plan!". Hello? It can't be both. Which is it?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally don't care, so long as it's not being used as an excuse to be lazy. Like if someone was robbed, its fine to pray them, but also put in some actual effort to help. It's fine to be the answer to your own prayers.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: dAVID_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They haslve dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works