Translation The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Kai English Translation Mod

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f763871334c53492e706e67

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Kai ~ THORS MILITARY ACADEMY 1204 ~
English Translation Mod for Nintendo Switch version

Translation mod is based on files from official Steam PC and PS4 releases. It adds additional features you won't find in original game.
It works fully only with modded Nintendo Switch because of plugin requirement.
Only Atmosphere is supported. Only game version 1.0.3 is supported.

2022031010551800 (1).jpg2022022017482700.jpg2022031419414100.jpg

More in readme:
https://github.com/masagrator/ToCS1-ENX

Download:
https://github.com/masagrator/ToCS1-ENX/releases

Thanks for help to @Graber, and @InochiPM for reedit of original English logo

Last edited by masagrator,

Dinhcongtrang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Thank you for your hard work. I'm planning to replay these game for translation purpose. The PS4 and PC ver are good; they just didn't suit me, while the PS Vita ver is hard to replay again.

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome! Thanks a lot for putting in the work.

I have a question. I'm a weirdo and don't like to overclock my Switch. Will applying the mod make the game run any worse than the original, unmodded version ran? I ask because of the "Force enabled Anisotropic Filtering and set it to 16" line in the github description. Any chance that an option to disable Anisotropic Filtering or set it to other values is added to the mod in the future?

Thanks again!

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This game runs like dogshit even without any mod installed because their alpha calculations suck. 460 MHz GPU solves almost all issues with and without mod (this game runs at 307 MHz by default).
Enabled Anisotropic Filtering doesn't change performance in any visible way in this game. Without recompiling plugin it's not possible to turn it off.
https://github.com/masagrator/ToCS1...f2988/Plugin/source/Tfoaf/main_patch.cpp#L205

Commenting out this line will remove Anisotropic Filtering.

460 MHz is considered safe even by Nintendo since it's used in their own games and allows devs to use it if they want. I could force it in plugin to set game to 460 MHz if I want, but I guess I wanted to give people a choice. And I suspect most people after getting to first city will agree with me that 460 MHz is a godsend. And as a matter of fact, some places drop below 30 even with 460 MHz.

RadMcFist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game runs like dogshit even without any mod installed because their alpha calculations suck. 460 MHz GPU solves almost all issues with and without mod (this game runs at 307 MHz by default).
Enabled Anisotropic Filtering doesn't change performance in any visible way in this game. Without recompiling plugin it's not possible to turn it off.
https://github.com/masagrator/ToCS1...f2988/Plugin/source/Tfoaf/main_patch.cpp#L205

Commenting out this line will remove Anisotropic Filtering.

460 MHz is considered safe even by Nintendo since it's used in their own games and allows devs to use it if they want. I could force it in plugin to set game to 460 MHz if I want, but I guess I wanted to give people a choice. And I suspect most people after getting to first city will agree with me that 460 MHz is a godsend. And as a matter of fact, some places drop below 30 even with 460 MHz.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, game runs like shit. I admit I didn't realize you were just recommending 460 MHz, my bad! Just saw "overclock" and assumed the rest. Also thanks for the explanation. Will leave it on then, no use recompiling for nothing!

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, time to start CS2.
2022031922485000.jpg

Few trivias:
- You can get additional benefits if you have Trails into Reverie save on Switch.
- Video decoding is purely software, in comparison in Cold Steel 1 videos are hardware decoded. And because they are single threadedly decoded, they are frameskipping pretty badly. Added to plugin boost mode that activates when video playback is detected. This helpes mitigating most frameskips. GPU when video is played sits at misly 40% at 76.8 MHz, so playback is not affected by GPU power.
Edit: I was wrong. CS1 and CS2 are using purely software decoding. Performance of opening video is limited by main menu 3D background that shouldn't be rendered when playing video, but it's anyway. And depending on what background you will have performance will vary (in some cases FPS drops to 15 when opening is played).
I have removed boost mode for videos from plugin because it was causing random boost mode activation.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Ok, time to start CS2.
View attachment 302476

Few trivias:
- You can get additional benefits if you have Trails into Reverie save on Switch.
- Video decoding is purely software, in comparison in Cold Steel 1 videos are hardware decoded. And because they are single threadedly decoded, they are frameskipping pretty badly. Added to plugin boost mode that activates when video playback is detected. This helpes mitigating most frameskips. GPU when video is played sits at misly 40% at 76.8 MHz, so playback is not affected by GPU power.
You are awesome.

Just wanted to say that.

Reactions: wavvydev and wluigi

dpozzolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm almost finishing the game. The mod is fantastic, no problems at all.

Thanks again for the hard work! I'm looking forward to Cold Steel II mod now.

Edit: Finished! I've not seen any issue with the mod. Tks again. After that ending I'm reaaaaly looking forward to play CSII.

Last edited by dpozzolo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto