How do you feel about being a discord server owner?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people don't know what discord is yet, you can learn more about it by clicking this direct link here. (Hope is not considered advertising) But for a short story, discord is a All-in-one video, voice, and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Basically it's something very similar to Skype or team speak but with more focus on being for people who play games and are very social through playing games online. Though it may seem to focus more on gamers, it can be and has been used by other means such as simple contact from direct business, partners of discord or even Patreon, YouTube, and twitch or other common social platforms.

Anyone can sign up for a account and have access to sending private messages, video, and voice chat to friends or groups you accumulate just like Skype. But most of the use seem to be in the simple accessible way to create a server people may join by a invite link or added by friends. This is being more and more apparent even among the smallest of communities. One of the things that personally changes it from aforementioned Skype and team speak is the use of bots in servers, use of them add some creativity and interesting environments. Use of them vary depending on which you look for such as a music player, or text based adventure games or even just moderation or joking and memes. It sounds like a mini forum that anyone can create and use for free.

So I was just curious if other people here has made their own servers, what kind of server is it (What's the them or focus or dedication to) and how do you feel about it. Do you enjoy owning one, is it fun, hard work, stressful to maintain? I want to point out that leadership is a challenging thing for many people and if yo are new to it, keep trying. It's the only way we will learn. :)

D

Deleted User

I own several servers, all of them just personal servers. But I do moderate a server with about 25K people in it.

I wouldn't be using discord if all of my friends hadn't migrated to it.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
If people don't know what discord is yet, you can learn more about it by clicking this direct link here. (Hope is not considered advertising) But for a short story, discord is a All-in-one video, voice, and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Basically it's something very similar to Skype or team speak but with more focus on being for people who play games and are very social through playing games online. Though it may seem to focus more on gamers, it can be and has been used by other means such as simple contact from direct business, partners of discord or even Patreon, YouTube, and twitch or other common social platforms.

Anyone can sign up for a account and have access to sending private messages, video, and voice chat to friends or groups you accumulate just like Skype. But most of the use seem to be in the simple accessible way to create a server people may join by a invite link or added by friends. This is being more and more apparent even among the smallest of communities. One of the things that personally changes it from aforementioned Skype and team speak is the use of bots in servers, use of them add some creativity and interesting environments. Use of them vary depending on which you look for such as a music player, or text based adventure games or even just moderation or joking and memes. It sounds like a mini forum that anyone can create and use for free.

So I was just curious if other people here has made their own servers, what kind of server is it (What's the them or focus or dedication to) and how do you feel about it. Do you enjoy owning one, is it fun, hard work, stressful to maintain? I want to point out that leadership is a challenging thing for many people and if yo are new to it, keep trying. It's the only way we will learn. :)
I own two servers

Skiddo (personal server) and freeShop (self-explanatory)
Skiddo is pretty much dead, but when there is activity, it isn't bad. freeShop is hard to maintain sometimes, but not so hard that I want to give up

D

Deleted User

I've made several Discord servers before, however, I've never had much luck in maintaining a consistently active one. While I've definitely made some stupid decisions that eventually led to the downfall of a few servers, most of the time, they just die out.

I get the feeling that in order to consistently maintain an active private server, you need to find an active friendgroup with people who are willing to form/join a server. Finding such a friendgroup that doesn't already have a Discord server set up can be tricky. Everyone needs there needs to generally be agreeable to each other, or else you'll find people migrating to other servers fairly quickly.

The worst part is keeping the server active; you need to give everyone in the server a bit of a push, but all too easily it can seem like you're trying too hard to keep your dying server alive. Bots can help a little, but they can't make a dead server active. It's very tricky.

My best advice would be to find a group of friends you like, and ask if they want to form a Discord server together. Make sure that everyone's in on it before doing anything else. If you're all already on another server, seriously reconsider if it's worth it to create a server on your own.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

snails1221

LOVE EVERYONE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Owning a Discord server isn't really my thing but, I have however been staff on two different ones. The first one being Riiconnect24's server, and the other being a lesser known server that I would rather not publicly name. RC24 was a bit of a special case, back in 2016 it was a more causal and relaxed server. After two years it has become much more uptight and uh "professional" if you can call it that, due to multiple different reasons. I "stepped down" as a mod early this year, at the time it had a little over 1k members. The other one I am currently an admin in and has 400+ members. It is a lot more relaxed and is more geared towards gaming and just general convos. I very much do enjoy my time being on a staff team.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
I run a single (and a half) Discord server with just over a hundred people on it. Somehow, we've managed for quite a while with barely any (functional) roles. I take quite a lax approach to running it, and as a result, it's pretty informal. However, within the server, we got homebrew running on the iQue Player, so...
It's pretty fun, I guess, and not much work. It's a really specific case, though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the barrier to entry is so low (you merely have to force down the distaste at using an iffy fad protocol) then I am not sure that is a terribly useful question.

How does it feel to have a popular server on the other hand.

Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I own one, but issues caused me to be unable to keep up with it. My real life just tends to keep me extremely inactive these days, so I really don't like owning anything that requires personal obligations that I can't give to it.

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I own one server, as a place for users of my Minecraft server to chill, get changelog updates, announcements, support .etc
Can't say too much effort is needed to maintain it, in comparison to the Minecraft server.

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually own a server dedicated to translating the fighting manga Kengan Asura. And i'm proud of what's it become in the past year.

We started off as just a place where the KA wiki crew could get together and chat, but now were at around 40 members, with the series translators, wiki editors, the cleaners, fans, people who are interested in KA, you name it.

While i'm currently passing off my duties as the admin to Stray because of my internet blocking Discord, i still check in whenever i'm at a public library. But honestly, she's done such a good job as the Temp Admin that i'm just letting her keep for good. Hell, the community itself is very vocal, with debaters, artists, conspiracy theorists, blah blah blah.

....and it all started when i got the balls to give the idea a shot.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a small server that I keep very strictly regulated to specific users here. It's all about selecting people you'd normally talk to casually, and being able to scout if they share the same general interests that you and your given group do. You always need the one or two very active people, including yourself, to keep a server alive. I think mine has thrived purely because it's a close knit group of people, rather than going for a large amount that tends to be far more difficult to regulate and maintain.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I have a small server that I keep very strictly regulated to specific users here. It's all about selecting people you'd normally talk to casually, and being able to scout if they share the same general interests that you and your given group do. You always need the one or two very active people, including yourself, to keep a server alive. I think mine has thrived purely because it's a close knit group of people, rather than going for a large amount that tends to be far more difficult to regulate and maintain.
This is the perfect description of a nice little community, and most people in it will agree with it, myself included!

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I've made several Discord servers before, however, I've never had much luck in maintaining a consistently active one. While I've definitely made some stupid decisions that eventually led to the downfall of a few servers, most of the time, they just die out.

I get the feeling that in order to consistently maintain an active private server, you need to find an active friendgroup with people who are willing to form/join a server. Finding such a friendgroup that doesn't already have a Discord server set up can be tricky. Everyone needs there needs to generally be agreeable to each other, or else you'll find people migrating to other servers fairly quickly.

The worst part is keeping the server active; you need to give everyone in the server a bit of a push, but all too easily it can seem like you're trying too hard to keep your dying server alive. Bots can help a little, but they can't make a dead server active. It's very tricky.

My best advice would be to find a group of friends you like, and ask if they want to form a Discord server together. Make sure that everyone's in on it before doing anything else. If you're all already on another server, seriously reconsider if it's worth it to create a server on your own.
Are you my twin? My personal servers have people in them but only a few post.

Reactions: Deleted User

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
All my friends left Teamspeak for Discord, so I tried waiting out as long as possible but eventually started to use it.

I own a couple for different reasons. Like one for messing around with writing bots ect with a small group of friends. I usually use groupchats if there's a group of us leading me to have about 20 group chats open (nICE)
I admin a few servers here and there but aside from that not really. I use it for personal use, I still have TeamSpeak though for like my really stubborn friends who refuse to use Discord whatever their reasons being..
It's so much handier now with improved overlays and a lot of forums now have their own servers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.