GBAtemp's personal GooK -('.-)
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it seems i cant make a review for 1403 - Megaman Battle Chip Challenge USA 64Mbits.... sigh..... so how do i ... do i have to be a mod ???? thats very bad....
wink.gif
dry.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
blink.gif
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
We wanted to have quality standards when it was generated, that's all. So we didn't have hundreds of people going "this game sux 0/5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!11!!!11" as their full review.

I planned on bringing this up at the meeting, but (I'm sorry!) I was late... it'll come up next time.

-Tempest out.-

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
if you write a review just send it to a mod (such as Tempest or myself) through PM and then the mod will post it for you. I wanted to have a whole proper php review section to the site made where readers can submit their reviews but i think that got eaten up and lost in the staff board
wink.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
start / run / notepad
type away
LMAO
biggrin.gif

Personally I think the review section has loads of potential though as anyone who has actually checked out the review section will find, it's a shambles and nothing has been posted in the forum for almost a year.

I think that the idea of the review being checked before posting is a good idea although if a mod posts it IMO it would feel like a lot of creditability is lost to the writer in doing so. Instead how about letting people post the reviews themselves at their own leisure first and then having the mods check up on them...we're hardly going to produce things of GameSpot or IGN standard anyway.

Also I'd recommend moving the bottom two forums...that's the GBA Temp Magazine News and Reviews sections up to the top of the forum...say at the bottom of the GBA Temp discussions category. After all it is a logical place to put them, plus it's really weird having news placed at the bottom of the forum. More people would see the reviews section and may actually contribute to it.

Finally something that would be really cool to implement is a quick rating system for new releases...eg. a drop down box on the main page or something where people could rate the game (on say a score of 1-5 or 1-10). This would give people a general idea of if the game is good and what some good games are (a question that gets asked at least once a week...)...prehaps the scores could be searchable to? Also if someone then disagreed with the scores the game was recieving it'd act as the perfect oppertunity for that person to write a review about the game.
Of course this idea was suggested ages and ages ago by Lord Graga, located here although as with a lot of suggestions and things it was never implemented.
Surely there must be some IPB code knocking around which does something like this...not that it'd be too hard for a moder to create something like this from scratch anyway.

smile.gif

p.s Alongside reviews, "specials" could also be done in the same way like the couple that exist in the review forum...Kivans puzzle round up was interesting (although obviously I'm not going to praise it because he didn't even mention Chu Chu Rocket!).

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i sent in a review an age and a half ago... apparently there was a problem is it fixed?
I would have posted it but it seems that my posting privs in that forum were removed when I moved to the mod staff rather than the mag staff... I thought I told you that, sorry. I've passed the review on, and I'll push for it to go up now.

-Tempest out.-

GouK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Reviews should definetly come back. GBATemp is the best place for it theres no website out there right now to have good updated reviews for GBA Games.

Luse

Now with more MOOSE!!!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, the review forum is ready for anyone willing to write one, to help you guys start I'm bring over the rules that were created for the review topic in the emergency board. (Note: this was written up by Tempest, I've just slightly changed it to work for the main board, hopefully to ge things rolling...)

Welcome to GBAtemp's Review Forum!

ph34r.gif
Only a Global moderator of this forum, or above can post on the review board. This is an attempt to cut down on spam posts and keep all posts relevant to reviews. Submissions of your reviews are to be done via PM. A list of mods who have volunteered to manage this aspect of the forum is due shortly.

ph34r.gif
Only one topic will be created per game. If you submit a review, it will be added to the relevant topic. It is expected of each review to be independent, that is, we won't find any comments on other reviews, like "Tempest's review is utter crap," "I can't see how Tempest found the bosses so easy," or so on. You're reviewing the game, not another person's review.

ph34r.gif
It's suggested you break your reviews down into various aspects of the game, such as gameplay, graphics, story, etc. Numeric scores aren't required, but some form of final rating is. Screenshots are only required if your review is the first one of a given game, though they aren't limited to only that one review. It's also suggested you format your reviews, using headings and so forth.

ph34r.gif
If you're posting a review, at the very least spellcheck it. Proper capitalization, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and so on make reviews so much easier to read, and if you don't do it, mods handling the reviews will have to, and chances are if they have to edit a review they will instead opt to not post it.

ph34r.gif
DO NOT PM a mod asking how they're coming on your review. Mods reserve the right to not post a review, and to not inform the submitter of this. If a review is up to a given mod's quality standards, then it will go up. This is your incentive to write as good a review as you can!

ph34r.gif
Finally, DO NOT submit a review more than once. Sending a review to multiple mods is not going to help you get it posted; in fact, the opposite is more likely, as it's annoying to deal with.

Thank you, and happy reviewing!

And for that list of mods to send reviews to:
(any other willing mods should edit this post and add their name)

Luse
X-Gamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1