Not open for further replies.

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Long story short, I bought a brand new OLED to practice installing a mod chip in before doing it to my Switch. Now I have two modded OLEDs. The plan was to remove the chip from the new OLED and return it for a refund (which I can still do without an issue). But now I feel kinda bad removing the modchip from a perfectly modded OLED (which was damn hard to install the chip in!); as well as the new owner wouldn't be getting a factory unit.

What to do? Just remove the chip and return? or try and find a buyer? I'm truly not interested in making money off this, so the easier solution for me would be to just remove the chip and return it.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long story short, I bought a brand new OLED to practice installing a mod chip in before doing it to my Switch. Now I have two modded OLEDs. The plan was to remove the chip from the new OLED and return it for a refund (which I can still do without an issue). But now I feel kinda bad removing the modchip from a perfectly modded OLED (which was damn hard to install the chip in!); as well as the new owner wouldn't be getting a factory unit.

What to do? Just remove the chip and return? or try and find a buyer? I'm truly not interested in making money off this, so the easier solution for me would be to just remove the chip and return it.
No just sell it. Not to mention how morally "wrong" it is to return a known used unit. If money is of no concern, gift it to a friend or family member. Who would not want a chipped OLED. Merry Christmas!

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would you even ask this? What would you think people would answer here?

Objectively there is no other option than resell it with the chip in place unless:
- You hate extra money
- Your free time is worthless
- You like taking unnecessary risks
- Your moral ethics are non-existent
- You are so scared of actual people you feel like reaching out/selling it is too much of a hassle.

If all five points apply to you, then yes, unsolder the chip and return it.

Also, based on an earlier post you made you told people you have at least 30 years of soldering experience. Based on that you probably started soldering at the earliest around ~16 maybe which should make you 46-50 years old. Come on why even ask the question on a public forum lol.

Last edited by KirovAir,

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why would you even ask this? What would you think people would answer here?

Objectively there is no other option than resell it with the chip in place unless:
- You hate extra money
- Your free time is worthless
- You like taking unnecessary risks
- Your moral ethics are non-existent
- You are so scared of actual people you feel like reaching out/selling it is too much of a hassle.

If all five points apply to you, then yes, unsolder the chip and return it.

Also, based on an earlier post you made you told people you have at least 30 years of soldering experience. Based on that you probably started soldering at the earliest around ~16 maybe which should make you 46-50 years old. Come on why even ask the question on a public forum lol.

Ohhh, I love point form replies! let me have a go.

- Shops accept opened returns with no damage. It's never been booted to HOS
- Removing the chip will leave no damage (unless you consider reballed solder damage)
- I would be returning it with nothing inside the machine
- The person who received the unit gets a brand new unit with intact warranty
- Whether you feel you are ethically superior to me or not is another question, but this is the internet and who cares
- Merry Christmas :)

Anyway, it's a moot point. I'll be selling it.

Reactions: Ligeia

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

- Removing the chip will leave no damage (unless you consider reballed solder damage)
- Whether you feel you are ethically superior to me or not is another question, but this is the internet and who cares

LMFAO! What? I can't believe the pure shit I'm reading here. You really ARE as dumb as you come across being, aren't you?

- Shops do not accept returns of consoles that you literally opened and modified
- You literally just admit there is damage
- 100% moot. You're trying to scam a return
- The warranty is not intact. If a warranty claim is filed, the person will lose becasue NIntendo will tell that it was opened and previously modified
- Don't post the stupid bullshit you've been posting and you wouldn't get the heat
- Stop trying to blow smoke up peoples ass :)

Anyway, you're full of shit. It's evident that you had the entire return scheme planned out from the start. You're not selling it, you're lying now due to the push back.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Ok, let's assume hypothetically the shop didn't realise it's been modified and you basically got away with this scheme.

I don't know if it's different in Australia, but where I work after 30 days units have to go through Nintendo for repair/replacement.

So unless you return it in pristine condition, to the point that Nintendo/authorised repairer can't tell, you could potentially be screwing someone over.

I'm hoping this is a troll post.

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
after 30 days units have to go through Nintendo for repair/replacement.

So unless you return it in pristine condition, to the point that Nintendo/authorised repairer can't tell, you could potentially be screwing someone over.

This I did not know... Definitely not returning it. Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: madisonswitch

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How did you install a modchip without damaging the metal shield or using kamikaze method? Unless you rebelled the EMMC, there was damage done onto the console in order to install the mod chip correct?

Reactions: swutch and BigOnYa

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How did you install a modchip without damaging the metal shield or using kamikaze method? Unless you rebelled the EMMC, there was damage done onto the console in order to install the mod chip correct?

It's not like a V2 install where you need to cut the shield.
There is no reballing of the EMMC, it's not recommended anymore.
It's possible to remove everything and have it back to what you started with on the OLED.

• Haha
Reactions: swutch

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
As soon as you opened the Switch, you voided that warranty
not true in the USA at least, as much as corporations would like
Post automatically merged:

- You literally just admit there is damage
I think you misinterpreted what was said, no admission of damage.
Not "there is damage in the form of x" but "if you consider x to to be damage, there's that"
And reflowed/reballed solder isn't damage, right?

Not on anyone's side :)

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: eddz and BigOnYa

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Definitely not returning it. Thanks.
This is the right thing to do. How would you feel buying something "brand new" that had been tempered with before by someone else? Also, if you bought it with a credit card, you are traceable if the mod attempt is discovered later on and they want to find you. Anyway, selling it still chipped should make you recover all your money, and then some, if you sell it to the right buyer.

Reactions: Agret and BigOnYa

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you misinterpreted what was said, no admission of damage.
Not "there is damage in the form of x" but "if you consider x to to be damage, there's that"
And reflowed/reballed solder isn't damage, right?

I would personally consider it damaged for the simple fact that the warranty is void and the reballing is not new from the factory condition. And let's not kid anyone here. They came up with several scummy and shady reasons for justifying a return to the store. There's no way IF they remove the chip and sell it, that they are going to tell the buyer it's been taken apart, chip installed, chip removed, reballed, and that the warranty is voided.

Reactions: cearp

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If it was hard to fit the mod chip, presumably it's going to be at least a bit inconvenient to open the console up again and remove it. Your fitting of the mod chip adds value to the console. Sell it! If you don't want to make a profit, sell it for less!

Reactions: Ligeia and Agret
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c