Homebrew Homebrew services

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if it's possible to write a homebrew system service for the 3DS? Obviously this would be running under CFW. I basically want to modify the play coin setter so it runs in the background at all times and sets the play coin count back to 300 every so often without needing to launch the app. Thanks in advance!

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if it's possible to write a homebrew system service for the 3DS? Obviously this would be running under CFW. I basically want to modify the play coin setter so it runs in the background at all times and sets the play coin count back to 300 every so often without needing to launch the app. Thanks in advance!
Possibly with a9hl but someone one need to start from scratch to make a patch like that or then intergrate it them selves if their using cfw

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Possibly with a9hl but someone one need to start from scratch to make a patch like that or then intergrate it them selves if their using cfw
How would a9lh affect this? Would it allow possibly starting the service running before booting CFW? Alternatively, is this the kind of thing Cakes is intended for?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not entirely sure how it's done, but the hax payloads install a few homebrew services as far as I know (hb:kill is one of them, for example). You might want to try poking around in Smea's ninjhax2.x repo on Github.

Reactions: peteruk

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
A custom service for code insertion (a la Xposed/mobilesubstrate) would be nice, the PSP has tons plugins that allow you to modify XMB and games in whatever ways you want and I wanted to see similar things for the 3DS. It would be much safer than modding code.bin directly as plugins could be easily deactivated if it bricks the game or firmware.

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would a9lh affect this? Would it allow possibly starting the service running before booting CFW? Alternatively, is this the kind of thing Cakes is intended for?
Something like custom patches would require it to always it be running in the Background including if it's sysnand,a9hl is perfect,I don't say why cakes can't work with it but there person who makes the patch needs to start from scratch

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Something like custom patches would require it to always it be running including if it's sysnand,a9hl is perfect,
Well AFAIK a9lh itself doesn't remain resident after boot. It just triggers the payload on the SD card. So perhaps the payload itself could be modified to run a service.

I don't say why cakes can't work with it but there person who makes the patch needs to start from scratch
What do you mean by start from scratch?

A service which manages other services would be a useful, though ambitious, project. Something which could run in the background and handle the loading and running of other services from the SD card would make it much easier to implement new services in the future. If it did run through a9lh somehow then I'm assuming it would be CFW agnostic.

Reactions: Games&Stuff

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something like custom patches would require it to always it be running in the Background including if it's sysnand,a9hl is perfect,I don't say why cakes can't work with it but there person who makes the patch needs to start from scratch
What are you even talking about :wtf:

Reactions: daxtsu

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
A custom service for code insertion (a la Xposed/mobilesubstrate) would be nice, the PSP has tons plugins that allow you to modify XMB and games in whatever ways you want and I wanted to see similar things for the 3DS. It would be much safer than modding code.bin directly as plugins could be easily deactivated if it bricks the game or firmware.
Something like this would require kernel access in order to perform proper hooking.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Something like this would require kernel access in order to perform proper hooking.
It could be solved by adding a backdoor syscall to arm11 kernel, iirc someone is working (iirc it's merged into cakes but not functional atm) on adding a backdoor to process9 to allow arm9 access from arm11 userland without further exploits under CFW.

Last edited by lefthandsword,

Criminal90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can already do with NTR, write a plugin for home instead for a specific title id and you are done

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really understand why you need always 300 play coins. Some services can be much more useful, for an example emu/sysNAND detector.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google