Homebrew services

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mashers, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Does anyone know if it's possible to write a homebrew system service for the 3DS? Obviously this would be running under CFW. I basically want to modify the play coin setter so it runs in the background at all times and sets the play coin count back to 300 every so often without needing to launch the app. Thanks in advance!

2. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Possibly with a9hl but someone one need to start from scratch to make a patch like that or then intergrate it them selves if their using cfw

3. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    How would a9lh affect this? Would it allow possibly starting the service running before booting CFW? Alternatively, is this the kind of thing Cakes is intended for?

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I'm not entirely sure how it's done, but the hax payloads install a few homebrew services as far as I know (hb:kill is one of them, for example). You might want to try poking around in Smea's ninjhax2.x repo on Github.

peteruk likes this.
  5. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks - I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

peteruk likes this.
  6. lefthandsword

lefthandsword GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Hong Kong
    root
    A custom service for code insertion (a la Xposed/mobilesubstrate) would be nice, the PSP has tons plugins that allow you to modify XMB and games in whatever ways you want and I wanted to see similar things for the 3DS. It would be much safer than modding code.bin directly as plugins could be easily deactivated if it bricks the game or firmware.

7. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Something like custom patches would require it to always it be running in the Background including if it's sysnand,a9hl is perfect,I don't say why cakes can't work with it but there person who makes the patch needs to start from scratch

8. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Well AFAIK a9lh itself doesn't remain resident after boot. It just triggers the payload on the SD card. So perhaps the payload itself could be modified to run a service.

What do you mean by start from scratch?

A service which manages other services would be a useful, though ambitious, project. Something which could run in the background and handle the loading and running of other services from the SD card would make it much easier to implement new services in the future. If it did run through a9lh somehow then I'm assuming it would be CFW agnostic.

Games&Stuff likes this.
  9. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    What are you even talking about :wtf:

daxtsu likes this.
  10. joyoshi

joyoshi ICUP

Oct 9, 2015
    Netherlands
    Shoved up your nose
    Is this so you can leave your A button presser going without needing to set the play coins? :P

11. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Maybe :P

12. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Something like this would require kernel access in order to perform proper hooking.

13. lefthandsword

lefthandsword GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Hong Kong
    root
    It could be solved by adding a backdoor syscall to arm11 kernel, iirc someone is working (iirc it's merged into cakes but not functional atm) on adding a backdoor to process9 to allow arm9 access from arm11 userland without further exploits under CFW.

Last edited by lefthandsword, Mar 3, 2016
  14. Criminal90

Criminal90 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2007
    Italy
    You can already do with NTR, write a plugin for home instead for a specific title id and you are done

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  15. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Am I right in thinking that NTR can run on top of other CFW? I seem to remember reading that people do this to get region free on ReiNand.

16. Criminal90

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2007
    Italy
    yes run on top of every CFW included gateway

17. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Ok, so I could write a plugin for NTR and have it run on top of ReiNand... great! Now, do y and know if there's a way to get NTR to start automatically when CFW boots?

18. Criminal90

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2007
    Italy
    no you must to run the cia launcher every time you want to use

19. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    make your own version coin cheater ntr plugin:huh:

20. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    I don't really understand why you need always 300 play coins. Some services can be much more useful, for an example emu/sysNAND detector.